Gas Station incident

This is a discussion on Gas Station incident within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new here but how better to start off than with a personal story. I've had my CCW license for 6 years and the story ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Station incident

Gas Station incident

I'm new here but how better to start off than with a personal story. I've had my CCW license for 6 years and the story below was from one time I didn't carry.

This happened a couple of months ago. I go over to my grandpa's 2 to 3 times a week to visit with him since my grandma passed. One night I went alone because my wife and son were not feeling well. Upon leaving his house, I needed to stop and get gas because a winter storm was moving in the next day. I pulled up to the gas station pump and got out of the truck. As soon as I shut the door to the truck, somebody roughly 30ft away was talking loudly and walking towards me. This person approached quickly and stood next to the gas pump I was parked at. He gave me a sob story of how he was stranded out here from California and needed money for food.

I was the only person parked on that side of the gas station, at night, standing in front of a built man that was possibly about to rob me. The first thought in my head was my 1911 was sitting at home and not on my person. I had gotten lax with carrying it for whatever reason during that time and didn't think to grab it for a trip to my grandpa's. I blame the cold.

I stood my ground and stared directly into his eyes, as to not show fear and informed him I had no cash and only a card to get gas. He kept standing there looking at me. I slowly pulled out my wallet while never looking away from him. His eyes shifted to my wallet as I opened it up and pulled the card out. Maybe he was hoping to call my bluff if he saw some green bills. I just knew he was going to grab it and run. Better than to get stabbed or shot I suppose. He just stood there watching my every move.

I put my wallet back in my pocket with my card still in hand. The guy then asked me if he could get a smoke. I gave him a cig from my pack and he walked off. I pumped my gas and left, followed by a big sigh of relief.

I've carried every day since then.

Don't get lax when you can CC, the one time you don't have it might be the only time you wish you did.

2. Remove Ads

I do believe you couldn't be more correct

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    +1 on not showing any fear. BG's thrive on it. They look for weak victims, not someone who is going to put up a fight. If you had enough gas, I would have said, "Hold on, while I look for some cash", got in my vehicle, locked it, and left. I try not to live my life in fear, but I will try to avoid any confrontation.

One thing I would have not done was given him a cigarette. Unless you literally tossed it to him, you had to get close enough to hand it to him. Distance is key. Keep as much as you can.

I think of that every time I want to run out without my gun. I always go back to the table and pick it up. Good story and nice to "meet" ya. :)

Good advice. Quit smoking though.
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    When I run through the gas pump scenario... If smoking at the pump is not recommended, surely shooting near the pump would be equally bad for one's health.

VIP Member
    I do not leave home without my / A pistol.
    PERIOD

Mark Twain:
    Always do right--this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    message to Young People's Society, Greenpoint Presbyterian Church, Brooklyn, New York, February 16, 1901
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Gas stations at night strike me as one of the most dangerous places that a 'regular person*' goes. This is what really irratates me about employers who try to deny citizens the right to keep their weapon in their car during their work shift. It usually not at work that is dangerous, it is the trip to and from.

* person who doesn't go looking for trouble and avoids troublesome places.

If you carry everywhere,even in your house then you never go out without your gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You were not harmed...you now appreciate the importance of being armed...sounds like a winner to me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for sharing Mike. I hate gas stations at night myself.

I've often wondered about the 21 foot rule at those places.... if someone is pumping next to you they are well within the danger zone, guess you just have to be at level orange during those times, ehh?
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

Never underestimate the defensive capability of a well aimed fuel nozzle! Don't think I'm not above hosing some BG down with a few dollars worth of gas to prove my point. And I have told my wife the same. I work late and generally find myself at the gas station around 12-2am ish. I'm always armed though.
    Last edited by chiefjason; March 2nd, 2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Welcome!

Your story reinforces two points for me:

1) always carry
    2) plan ahead and get gas during the dayliht hours.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    So if it wasn't going to snow, would you have not needed gas?

i've thought about just this scenario if unarmed.
    -stop pumping
    -show no fear
    -say, "sorry, no."
    -keep my eyes on him
    -if he persists, and especially if he approaches, pull the pump handle out of your car, point it at him and calmly say, "i said no; you can go away now."

this could be effective if there were several BGs moving in, too. gasoline from a pump will spray quite a distance. of course, i would have to think twice about pulling the trigger, so to speak, if someone is smoking (but if someone is smoking, just having a gas nozzel pointed at them would probably be effective enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links