SA can save your butt, even when not packin.

This is a discussion on SA can save your butt, even when not packin. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travel for my work and can’t take any self defense weapons with me. I frequently travel to such places as the PR of NJ ...

Thread: SA can save your butt, even when not packin.

I travel for my work and can’t take any self defense weapons with me. I frequently travel to such places as the PR of NJ and PR of IL.

A few years ago I was spending the night in Columbus OH at the Hyatt downtown. Two of my coworkers wanted to walk down to a steak house over from the Arena. We crossed the street on the north side three abreast. Just as we cleared a good sized evergreen I caught sight of a 20 something sitting on the concrete block wall about 30 feet away from us. I was closest to the young man.

He hopped off the wall and stated walking toward us “with intent”. I stared him down and put my right hand in my pocket as a bluff. Fortunately my friend on the outside also stared him down. With this, the young man stopped in his tracks, did an about face, walked back over and hopped up on the wall. I don’t know what he wanted but it’s my opinion that he was at least going to ask for a donation.

The interesting thing is what occurred after we were well clear of the young man. My friend walking on the outside said “did you see that?” I said “you’re ### ### right I saw that!” Our friend in the middle said “See what?” Absolutely unbelievable!

As a final note I now carry a Surefire LED Defender. It has a nice sharp bezel and is better than nothing. It has gotten a few hard looks from a couple of TSA dudes but so far none has actually said anything to me about it. If I thought it wouldn’t get stolen from my checked bag I would carry a folding knife. I may give it a try.

I'd be careful on the "bluffing" if I were you, it might just escalate the situation.

Every single time I've flows (twice) I've had a folding knife in my checked baggage, not my carry-on. Never had a problem with anything yet ;) It's better than nothing!!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by TMACON View Post
    I'd be careful on the "bluffing" if I were you, it might just escalate the situation.
    What would you recommend in the above situation?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I don't really bluff... If I put my hand in my pocket in challange, something will be in the hand (knife, pepper spray, gun, sharpie, keys) if the challange is called.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member
    I have read and heard that engaging someone visually or with verbal acknowledgment can IN SOME CASES put the possible offender ill at ease. Maybe the stare helped.

I think that this stopped two punks from robbing a liquor store that I was in once. It was an awful feeling. Before noon on a weekday.

Will anything stop a doped up crazy? Probably not. But the casual wallet or Grey Goose thief, maybe.

VIP Member
    JMHO- I don't have a problem with someone putting their hand in their pocket. If you put your hand in your pocket using a lot of body language drama that says you are manacing-challenging-smug-come and get it way. then you might be asking for trouble on the street.

Casually putting your hand in your pocket, while remaining alert and serious, I think, would present a body language/posture that should alert some street guy like you described. It's likely I'd do so as I kept moving down the street.

It's been said many times, the guy on the street is good at reading body language of potential victims, it's obvious that's what happened in the OP.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Careful, in terms of calling things "escalation."

The mere fact a criminal perpetrator decides to get violent doesn't mean anyone escalated the situation and caused those actions. Reality is, criminals decide to be violent or not, and they decide based on factors that are normal, reasonable, perfectly legal types of behaviors that in no way can be terms "escalation" and contribution to the violence of the situation.

Putting one's hand near one's firearm in anticipation of violence, or even moving one's hand in that manner even when one doesn't have a firearm, is a reasonable reaction to a criminal's initiation of violence. IMO, that motion itself cannot be construed as escalating the situation. It's a response to manifest, impending violence.

So is closely watching and monitoring such actions (called 'stare down' in the OP's post). Who in his right mind wouldn't be monitoring someone's assertive movements like that with interest? That isn't, in itself, escalation of the situation. That's simply a rational and reasonable response to the manifest, impending violence.

Perps "escalate" all on their own, generally. NOTHING we're doing typically causes any of it to occur.

Careful, when suggesting that actions we do contribute to the violence. Criminals will do what they do, get offended by much, and they won't give a damn about the potential victims. They'll only care about probability of success.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have noticed things like this as well... The other day while parking the truck at Home Depot with my wife, I immediately noticed a strange character walking straight through the middle of the lot (over the median mounds with flowers/shrubs), with a think hoody over his head, and no shoes.. I took note that he wasn't blatently casing cars, which would've been my first guess. He kept to himself and just kept walking. I moved to the opposite end of the p-lot away from his direction of travel, parked, and went in with my wife. We made mention of the guy to some 20-30y/o male employees who went to have a look. I thought that was nice that they cared enough to go check it out. Peace of mind for if my wife was alone and had a concern about a creep after dark in the p-lot. I've made similar comments to store employees elsewhere who don't seem to care one bit. Anyways, nothing came from it, so all is well.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

I have used the same move to stop someone from approaching me in my office after hours. The front door was left unlocked, he walked in and I met him at the entrance to the hall, he was asking for gas money and walking toward me, I put my hand behind my back and he stated that he did not want any trouble he just needed gas money. I told him to stop and go outside and I gave him 5 bucks to go away. I think if he had gotten within arms reach he may have tried to hit me.

I have a couple of other stories that involve similiar situations and one that could have gone bad, but its' not for here

I wouldn't call what he did, bluffing...
    Based upon the situation he was in...he did the best he could with the tools available, this time it was his brain.
    Could it have turned out worse? Perhaps, if he hadn't USED us brain.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 3rd, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    What would you recommend in the above situation?
    With 2 people (or even 1) and no weapon in evidence on the bg....walk in a different direction. Non-sheeplike eye contact is good too.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Sponsored Links