Things are not always what they seem. - Page 2

Things are not always what they seem.

This is a discussion on Things are not always what they seem. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some good stories so far about "things that aren't what they seem". I'd like to encourage the discussion to stay on that and not stray ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Some good stories so far about "things that aren't what they seem". I'd like to encourage the discussion to stay on that and not stray too far into picking apart the stories themselves.

To clarify my original story. "charlie" (I don't really remember the name), was the kid. The police did confirm the dad's story that they'd been out on multiple occasions due to the son being mentally unstable and violent. This wasn't a cause of racial profiling, or the old buddies club. Open arriving the LEO's knew the kid and dad and what to expect.

VIP Member

re: tsaphah

Quote Originally Posted by tsaphah View Post
    Some good stories so far about "things that aren't what they seem". I'd like to encourage the discussion to stay on that and not stray too far into picking apart the stories themselves.

To clarify my original story. "charlie" (I don't really remember the name), was the kid. The police did confirm the dad's story that they'd been out on multiple occasions due to the son being mentally unstable and violent. This wasn't a cause of racial profiling, or the old buddies club. Open arriving the LEO's knew the kid and dad and what to expect.
    Tsaphah, I was just emphasizing that things might not be what they seem. Even though the LEs seemed to know what was what from prior experience, there are some people who are both pretty vicious and gifted at telling a story. They might have been wrong.

Anyway, back to the theme-- it is a good one.

Just think about the famous cases, Olympic bombing suspect, Elizabeth Smart kidnapping, the Ramsey child murder. In each case initial impressions of who the suspect was and what actually happened, turned out to be wrong--- even though the judgments were made by trained and experienced investigators.

How much more chance of being wrong for those of us who just happen upon a quick moving scene.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You forgot OJ Simpson...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

First, sounds like there are a lot of really dumb detectives running around arresting people all by themselves - I am in UNIFORM and I almost never arrest anyone by myself. When you are acting in a position of authority, like these "detectives" you have a responsibility for your own safety when in plain clothes... One of the things we were taught was that when acting off duty you are to continually announce your self as a police officer, to protect yourself, bystanders, uniformed officers arriving on scene and the suspect.

As for the OP - I would say that is about how I would have handled, the only thing I am a little concerned with is the statement that many people would think to draw first in that situation - WHY!?!?!?!?! I did not see anything in the situation where some one's life was in immediate peril, you dont draw your weapon unless that is the case.

Just my two cents on that.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I would have called the LEO's and been a good witness..
    no need for getting in trouble over people you don't have any background info on. And walking in to a problem like that, you really don't know who is the GG or who is the BG.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links