Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

This is a discussion on Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cant answer that question with a definite answer Depends on the situation.. 1. is my family with me 2. did they get the drop ...

View Poll Results: Robbed at gunpoint - Fight or comply?

Voters
336. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comply with the BG, give him your $$ and play the odds that he's not going to shoot you if you comply.

105 31.25%
  • Fight

231 68.75%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

I cant answer that question with a definite answer
    Depends on the situation..

1. is my family with me
    2. did they get the drop on me before i could react
    3. how many BG's are there & where are they located

I hope i never have to make a choice, one thing i will say is that money/possessions do not matter to me, but if my family is threatened i will take him/her/them out without thought or remorse
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by narcberry View Post

But like I said, it still depends. If a home invasion occurs when I'm in the shower, I'm more likely to comply as a naked unarmed man.

*takes notes*

Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    crankinNM:

....... It's a fool's hope, an "internet hero's" hope, to think one is likely to draw quickly enough to defeat an already-drawn gun.

Hence, the suggestion of the need to rely upon H2H skills for disarming the attacker holding a gun so closely, if a person is to have a good chance of avoiding being gunned down.

..........One had also better be quick, time it right, and be utterly ruthless and explosively aggressive.
    True enough about a "fools hope", but I still do have suprise as an asset; the agressor is expecting complience.

About the H2H.........sure.....I'm not saying stand there and draw and hope......use all you got......"Shoot, move, and comunicate" Me? I'm not using my hands as a weapon.... I have a better chance with a quick squeeze of the trigger then H2H before drawing...... Just my take as a guy with a made up mind.....heck at least I do think about it. I should never be suprised.............

Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    True enough about a "fools hope", but I still do have suprise as an asset; the agressor is expecting complience.

About the H2H.........sure.....I'm not saying stand there and draw and hope......use all you got......"Shoot, move, and comunicate" Me? I'm not using my hands as a weapon.... I have a better chance with a quick squeeze of the trigger then H2H before drawing...... Just my take as a guy with a made up mind.....heck at least I do think about it. I should never be suprised.............
    Hi CMN...can I just make a comment? If you think that H2H (of CQC) is just about fighting or 'using your hands,' as I've seen some techniques, it's not. It's also about stepping into the bg's space and using their gun on them. Or disabling it and then drawing your own. Or about leverage...things like that.

And it's all about taking them off-guard physically and using techniques they're not expecting (or trained to handle).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Denny Crane
    YouTube - Denny Crane gets robbed

It astounds me that some people would question the integrity and honesty of a criminal. If you give him what he wants of course he won't shoot/stab you. Just be a good little sheep and do what you're told.

Ok. Of course it depends. And no one should be criticized for complying when they are staring down the eye. Think about it this way, if BG is not willing to kill me to remove a witness and stay out of prison, then he is not willing to kill me for non-compliance, and I should just tell "No" and refuse to hand over wallet. Right? Of course not.

But the converse holds. If he is willing to kill me for non-compliance then he is likely willing to kill me to keep me out of the witness chair. By threatening me, he has announced his intentions. If I can, I will fight.

This is NOT about the wallet, the watch, the car, etc. I don't give a crap about those things. The car is a insured and the others aren't valuable. I care about my life and the lives of my family. It's about maximizing my chance for survival. Personally, I think fighting maximizes my chances. Maybe I'm right, maybe not. But that is my judgement call.

If anyone has some real statistics on survivability percentages of submit versus armed resistance, I would love to see them. Not just "Cops I've talked to say..."

If you aren't going to use your gun under these circumstances, then exactly when are you going to use it?

Before he pulls a weapon and threatens you? Right. In an active shooter scenario? Those a pretty rare. Armed self defense against armed attack is the point of carrying. SA is great, but you don't need a gun for that.

Let's change the situation a little. Suppose he shoots you first in the gut, then demands your wallet or he'll shoot again. Do you fight or do you comply? If you're willing to fight when injured, why are you not willing to fight when you're not injured?

Just think if you submit, and the BG ends up taking your gun and killing you with it, you can become a poster child for the Brady Bunch. Another person killed with their own gun. In the words of someone, "If the BG kills me with my gun, he'll have had to beat me with it, because it will be empty."
    Last edited by Fenris; March 15th, 2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Expanding comments

Faster than a speeding bullet I am off the X and putting one COM into the BG.

Seriously, If I get the shot, any shot at taking the offense, I'll be taking it. Staring down the barrel I am being nice polite and co operative as can be until that muzzle is not right on me. I have enough training and experience that I should be able to get that shot.

Suppose on the day we'll know if I have the stones or not. What I did yesterday does not count. A man can never be sure of his courage until the moment it is called upon.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I voted "Comply" and this is why....
    If BG had the drop on me there is know way I could pull my Glock from concealment with out him being able to ventelate my forehead. I may try a diversionary tactic by dropping my wallet or perhaps a good acting job of looking suprisedly over his shoulder to make him look away for a second. If my animal instinct told me BG was going to shoot me regardless of cooperation I suppose my only option would be to try and disarm him or go gunslinger on him.

My money clip rides in front my my BUG for a reason.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

The Lance Thomas approach of immediate response.

YouTube - Real Gunfighter Lance Thomas on Justic Files

Fumble and drop the keys towards him...he looks down. There's your opportunity.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Let's see: There is a person (who obviously is not in the right frame of mind) holding a gun and demanding my personal belongings. If I thought this person was brave, stupid or crazy enough to go this far but not shoot me once they got what they wanted, there would be no reason for me to train with, carry, or even own a gun.

I am not your typical target. I am a tall, well built, heavily tattooed, young individual that has been accused of looking intimidating on several occasions. I would like to think that if a BG approaches me with these intentions, he has every intention on finishing the job. I have no choice but to jump on the first oppurtunity to draw, point and shoot until the slide locks back. If he is close enough for H2H, I am grabbing his gun with the left, and mine with the right. I have trained in martial arts, closed quarters defense, and defensive pistol training for this very reason.

Here is another reason for these feelings: About 10 years ago now, my uncle had some car trouble and was forced to ride the public bus to and from work for a week or so while it was being repaired. He worked maintenance in a bowling alley and sometimes got off work late at night. He got off the bus around midnight close to Downtown Houston and started walking the opposite direction from two other riders that got off at the same stop. He was approached, robbed, and shot twice in the chest at point blank range, and died on the street. The two other people that got off with him heard the shots, turned around immediately, and saw the BG runnung away, which means he already had what he wanted from my uncle. The witnesses gave a very vague description of the BG, but 10 years later there is still no suspects. My uncle was a small framed, unarmed, very quiet and non confrontational man. He never had a chance. I do.

Maybe some discussion should be directed at if you do plan to act what is the plan. I believe it was Massad Ayoob or it could have been Jeff Cooper that carries a 20 dollar bill inside a matchbook to flip at the BG. Flip it and leave or act when he is distracted.

I walk with a cane, an XD.45 at about 5 right over my right rear pocket. A Kershaw at 3. A Novatac flash light at 2:45 On my weak side I carry an auto opening Kershaw on a quick release latch attached to my keys off a belt loop. Most often my cover garment is a flannel shirt unbuttoned or only the top two buttons buttoned. I use a Boker SubCom as my money clip. It is my tool of last resort. Removing it from my pocket all you see is money and maybe the clip. I can open the blade while taking the money out of the clip without the blade being seen. My wife carries a 9mm or 380 in a carry purse. She can fire at least one shot with her gun still mostly inside the purse. The slide moves freely if the purse is open and she has her hand on the grip. Hopefully a bullet can make it through all the crud in her purse.

Plan A is if the wife is with me. Is that I keep the focus on me she open her purse as if to get her wallet and unload. If able I will fire or attack. To get my wife out of there I will take this gamble. This plan assures my wife gets home safe and alive. I have pretty fair odds Yes the wife loves me and trusts that I am bullet proof.

Plan B I use the cane to disarm, strike or distract. Drawing if able and necessary. Knives on my left & right side are available if need be. Most likely a combination of H2H and weapons deployment say a strike with the cane and knee cap the BG as a possible example.
    The cane can come off of the ground and into a wrist, the groin or overhand onto the collar bone with surprising speed. I draw one handed using my thumb to raise my cover garment drawing with my hand. Reaching for my wallet and firing from my hip as others of mentioned is an option I've practiced. Maybe dropping the cane as a distraction as I do so.

If my radar comes on before the BG gets to us the flashlight may blind him for a moment while I draw or strike. Or my hand can be on the gun or knife before he draws. Or the wife can have her hand in her purse. This of course emphasis the importance of SA. Fact is the BG should never get the drop on us.

For those of us that do plan to fight there are an infinite number of options dependent upon the variables at the time. We can not anticipate them all but coming up with a few scenarios and plans that we can practice to counter attack will be a huge benefit. Don't expect under stress to come up with a rational plan of a attack you have never tried and expect to execute it perfectly. Instead come up with a series of possible options than practice doing them. I've spent hours while watching movies opening my SubCom. All you can see is me taking money out of my money clip. The blade will be felt long before it is seen. Hours are spent swinging the cane up with bone crushing speed and pin point accuracy just walking around the yard. You get the idea

Plan Practice Be Safe
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

This is going to be the scenario when I fight!

YouTube - Collateral Briefcase Scene

Only in my dreams......
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

11 years ago I was in a very similar situation. I was unarmed due to being 19. It started with a gun to my head, so I had to comply. The gun stayed on me from a few feet away for almost an hour. Through some of this I was in the trunk area of an SUV.

The guns bothered me some, but the piano type wire and being told I'd be dropped in the woods where I can't get to a phone once they've gotten all the money.

I've been in different martial arts since I was six years old. But, two guns and that wire had me complying. When the moment came that the one was distracted while the other was at the third ATM, and I mean that one split second in time, I went for it with EVERYTHING I had. I was either taking the chance of dying from a gunshot wound then or most certainly dying from asphyxiation or a gunshot later.

I'm still here. They were never caught. One of them left a part of their face and a few teeth behind.

I don't know about anyone else here. I can't say for sure what I'll do, but I can say what I've done and what I most likely will do after 11 more years of training and intense classes since the last time. I can't outdraw a man pointing a gun at me, but I can outdraw a distracted man pointing a gun at me. This I know for sure since I was able to jump from the trunk area of an SUV to the driver seat during a slit second of distraction.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

If my SA suffers a melt-down, and the guy has a gun to my head... then I might comply. But if I see a chance to fight for my life, I would fight. I've often thought I might try to drop my wallet to distract the BG, then draw and fire.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links