Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

This is a discussion on Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm gonna make him steal my car and shoot him down before he even starts the engine....

View Poll Results: Robbed at gunpoint - Fight or comply?

Voters
336. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comply with the BG, give him your $$ and play the odds that he's not going to shoot you if you comply.

105 31.25%
  • Fight

231 68.75%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

I'm gonna make him steal my car and shoot him down before he even starts the engine.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    I'm gonna make him steal my car and shoot him down before he even starts the engine.
    The thing is, once he's in the car, starting the engine there is no more danger to you. You can run away. If you "shoot him down" once you have other options, you're going to jail.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I've spent hours while watching movies opening my SubCom. All you can see is me taking money out of my money clip. The blade will be felt long before it is seen. Hours are spent swinging the cane up with bone crushing speed and pin point accuracy just walking around the yard. You get the idea

Plan Practice Be Safe
    That's the main thing. Practice until it's a reflex; if you have to stop and think about what you're doing, it's too late.

That's the underlying principle of martial arts; mind and body become one.

Quote Originally Posted by rcain007 View Post
    I am not your typical target. I am a tall, well built, heavily tattooed, young individual that has been accused of looking intimidating on several occasions.
    Yep, but that appearance can work against you, also. Could be the BG takes one look at you and instead of attempting a "hold up" just lets one go in the back of your head from 10 feet away rather than risk it.

Maybe if you tried to look less intimidating, I don't know, walk with a limp or dress like Prince or something, maybe he'd get close enough for you to do something...

Then there's the "top gun" problem...sometimes guys will pick a fight with the biggest guy around just to show how tough they are.

Of course it's wrong but it's not a bad idea, tactically, since unlike you most big guys have never been in a fight in their lives, never been trained, never been punched, never had to punch since they look so tough. The hardest guys to fight I've ever seen are the little, wiry kind with that sleepy look. The big 'uns are usually softies, slower, more weight on important targets like the knees and ankles, overconfident - and hit the ground quite hard.

One of the black belts in our organization is 6' 7" and way faster than any man that size has the right to be. But he's easier to fight than one of our master instructors, all of 5'6" and 150 lbs soaking wet.

So as a big dude you need to watch your 6 even more than the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by exprt9 View Post
    This is going to be the scenario when I fight!

YouTube - Collateral Briefcase Scene

Only in my dreams......
    I hope you don't make a practice of holstering your weapon like the well-known weapons expert Tom Cruise (gag) does at the end of this clip. He uses the barrel to pull back his jacket, totally crossing his own body with the - I presume - still cocked weapon.

You gotta love Hollywood!

Watching closely, it appears that he does not cross his body, but in front of it - well, maybe at the hip. Either way, it was in the script!

I never was one to pick up gun handling skills from the movies, so it's irrelevant
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Of course my actions are going to be based wholly on how things go down. If I see an opening, I'll take it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    I carry an old wallet with an expired driver license and some old credit cards, photo's and about $35, keep it tucked in my back pocket below my gun. If the BG got the drop on me he gets the wallet first, if he ain't paying attention he gets the gun, bullets first!
    DING!DING!DING! Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner. What a slick idea.

Sure...my intial response was "it depends". But as far as my plan goes for a potential encounter like this would be to look for opportunities to fight back during the encounter. There are some situations I can think of where there may not be an opportunity to draw or fight. But I'll be looking for those opportunities if the situation presents itself.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    gotta love that scene in Collateral.
    But in all seriousness, it wont end like that and Lord Xenu wont be there to fly to the hospital in his thetan powered space ship. But a good lesson to learn to that scene is that action is always faster than reaction. plus in pinch, the key to the W is to close the distance so the gun is useless and easier to disarm, and you can work the knife that you SHOULD be carrying in addition to your edc. Its a coinflip from there.

Or just do like myself carry the money, cards, ID etc. in a money clip and keep the wallet empty. Toss the wallet over the head of the BG, take the same amount of steps backward draw, take a knee as he goes for the wallet,when/if he turns around after finding you made a monkey out him, pop'em. He's armed, he's showed intent to be violent plus the fact he turned around show his intent to reengage. You now have distance to be effective with your weapon and are know a smaller target. Advantage...you.

I'm starting to make my wife carry my Taurus in certain situatiions, she dosn't have a CCL but, I do, which would even out the odds quite a bit. If I were in my car, the Tarus is sitting right next to me. With my 1i911 on my hip. Know Thy surroundings. I'm constantly telling my wife, know when to talk, I literally need to know whats going on 360 degrees around me, and shes a distraction, and possibly a liability. If someone approaches me and I didn't see them 300 feet away, then I'm pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbonedemon View Post
    I'm starting to make my wife carry my Taurus in certain situatiions, she dosn't have a CCL but, I do, which would even out the odds quite a bit.
    Sounds a bit risky. She should get a CCL too.

If someone approaches me and I didn't see them 300 feet away, then I'm pissed.
    Well, don't go to New York or you'll be pissed a lot.

I went there a few times on business trips in the '90s and could not get used to the crowds on the street, at first. So many people going by and jostling you, etc. Then I got used to it, and that was even more disturbing. It dulls your "threat" detector, if you know what I mean.

This is why I started taking self defense about a year ago. Find a Krav Maga type self defense class close by you and learn how to defend yourself if you're ever in this situation. Train, train, train.

If the BG has the drop on you, I highly doubt you can draw on him in time, especially if its concealed where most of us carry. First off, comply.

If it appears that he has other intentions, then knowing how gain control of the weapon while inflicting pain and using it against him, or put distance between you so you can draw, is imperative.

This ain't Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    For anyone who has done force-on-force type training with paintball or Simunitions type gear, have you ever successfully disarmed a "robber" who has a firearm on you as in this scenario ... without being struck by "bullets"? (Describe.)
    Good point. But remember (although this is not a guarantee) Many BGs are on alcohol or other drugs, so to be realistic, also remember to occasionally have your training partner have a few. Your success rate might just increase dramatically!

Of course this option will only work if you know for a fact that the BG is wasted.

Keep your big money and credit cards somewhere hidden. (in your belt, shoe, whatever) Hand him a wallet with a some money in it. Enough bills so he has something to look at and maybe count. If he does look in the wallet or is otherwise distracted, you may have a chance to draw. As for vehicles, there are many simple ways to disable them. A switch under your dash could shut off a valve in the fuel line or the fuel pump. The BG could drive a safe distance away from you, then the engine stalls. You have time to get away, and he is more likely to get caught. Don't use an electrical system kill switch, it will only make the BG mad. Also, carry an extra remote control (if you have remote door locks) , first hide, then hit the "panic" button when he drives off. Then your car will keep honking and draw a huge amount of attention to him!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Links