Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

This is a discussion on Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While presence in the situation would be the deciding factor, I have little faith in the benevolence of armed robbers. I have a technique that ...

View Poll Results: Robbed at gunpoint - Fight or comply?

Voters
336. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comply with the BG, give him your $$ and play the odds that he's not going to shoot you if you comply.

105 31.25%
  • Fight

231 68.75%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

While presence in the situation would be the deciding factor, I have little faith in the benevolence of armed robbers.

I have a technique that I developed long ago for such situations. It is called DATD (Drawing Against The Drop) of which the Collateral scene is what I consider a sloppy variation.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Assuming I get caught unaware in that situation, I would fight until one of us cannot fight anymore. I don't think that I would draw at three feet, but I might. If close enough and depending on his size, I may try a redirection and gun grab. Action beats reaction. At that close and wrestling a knife might be the better choice of weapon. No since in introducing another pistol to fight over when that close. Of course I might go for the old draw the wallet and or throw it trick while getting off the X and throwing lead. Should be an easy target to hit. Overall, there is no clear cut answer, except that this punk is threatening to kill me by just having a gun in his hand and that I am not willing chance his mercy.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    Well it has already been said there is no right answer but the OP may answer some other questions that have come up over and over. For those that dont carry a round in the chamber, compliance is your only option, for those that dont practice drawing from concealment and learning skills beyond your CCW class, compliance is your only option.
    Some have said on here they can draw and fire from concealment in 1.5 seconds which is great except that it only takes .5 seconds to fire with a drawn gun.
    Again once the BG gets in the car to leave the threat is gone, you cannot double tap him in the head just because you now have the advantage. Having the spouse there presents other problems. You fight with the guys and the gun goes off hitting her, or she attempts to help you fight and is injured.
    No one knows what they would do in any given situation but unless you train and train hard for a situation like this you will not be able to defeat the drawn gun.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    Good point. But remember (although this is not a guarantee) Many BGs are on alcohol or other drugs, so to be realistic, also remember to occasionally have your training partner have a few. Your success rate might just increase dramatically!
    Yes your training success may increase. IMO this is a bad idea. It conditions you to under estimate your enemy. Always train for the highest threats level, than if your end up dealing with someone impaired or not Spec Ops Navy SEAL trained and conditioned, you are a couple steps up on them. But if you train to combat drunks and end up with a skilled combatant you're dead.
    IMO always better to prepare and train for the worst. Affirmative action training ie training to the lowest common denominator is a set up for failure.
    Last edited by LongRider; June 1st, 2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: edited fro clarity
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Having the spouse there presents other problems. You fight with the guys and the gun goes off hitting her, or she attempts to help you fight and is injured.
    This is why it is critical that you discuss self defense tactics and procedure with your spouse and immediate family. My wife knows that if she enters into a fray she endangers both of us as my attention is split between protecting her and myself. Her job is to bail ASAP, than from a safe distance, call 911 draw if approbate and defend herself if need be. Of course if she is a safe distance away, she is not at risk and four guys have me on the ground putting the boots to me she is welcome to open fire on them.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    I just found out that my cousin was robbed at gunpoint a few weeks back. He doesn't carry.

Apparently he was walking to his car when a single BG came up to him, pointed a gun at him and demanded money and his car keys. He complied and the BG took the car and drove away. My cousin and his wife were unhurt.

The question is: if it was you and you were carrying, would you attempt to do something or would you comply and cross your fingers?

I typically cary at 3:30 IWB so it would be easy to draw when feigning a grab for my wallet. BG should be surprised and stuck in an unusually long OODA loop segment. A step off the X, perhaps a sweep with my week hand to push the gun out of the way and a few shots could end things really quickly.

On the other hand, things could go terribly wrong. He could be twitchy and shoot the second fast movement started. Things might not go according to plan. Depending on who's standing where, bumping the BG's gun might end up with it pointing at your spouse etc. Out drawing a gun pointed at you can be bad. etc. etc.

In the scenario described, my cousin was out a few bucks but survived.

So, for whatever reason, you end up with a BG three feet away from you pointing a gun at your face. Your wife is standing next to you. What would you do?

Edit: I know that the short answer is "it depends". What I'm asking though is what's your plan. Do you plan on complying or do you plan on fighting?

If a bad guy has his weapon OUT and POINTED AT YOU at 3 feet, at the moment the fight is pretty much over and you lost, you COMPLY.

Most people aren't trained, and /or not good enough under pressure to shoot or fight off a bad guy pointing a weapon at your gut 3 feet away. Now you may be Chuck Norris and your able to execute a round house kick and knock the gun out of his hand and then draw your weapon, but i don't think so.

I tell many CCW brawlers with manly egos... DON'T LET YOUR EMOTIONS DICTATE YOUR STRATEGY/TACTICS.

The end results to your question is the answer, he survived by handing over a few bucks, most of the time that's how robberies go down, Bad Guy points the gun, you give up the money, bad guy runs-away, this happens every minute in big cites across the country.

Situations/robberies go bad when you put up resistance, whether its verbal or physical causing the bad guy to panic and shoot by accident or on purpose.

Bad Guy has his weapon out pointed at your gut 3 feet away, you comply... hey, even the HERO on TV complies most of the time.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Some have said on here they can draw and fire from concealment in 1.5 seconds which is great except that it only takes .5 seconds to fire with a drawn gun.
    it takes less than .2 seconds to decide and fire a drawn firearm...i have seem transitions from one target to another in .2 seconds....thats after ashot is fired and another target aquired and hit at short range...a quick draw and fire for anyone who has been timed is .5 seconds or less...if the gun is out, they are prepared to use it and you dont possess some very good skills you are shot before you have made your decision....

VIP Member
    Ok either way you do not have a chance to draw and fire.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Links