Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? - Page 2

Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

This is a discussion on Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 That's a tough one, but in your cousin's situation I would have given him my $$ and car keys, and as ...

View Poll Results: Robbed at gunpoint - Fight or comply?

Voters
336. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comply with the BG, give him your $$ and play the odds that he's not going to shoot you if you comply.

105 31.25%
  • Fight

231 68.75%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    That's a tough one, but in your cousin's situation I would have given him my $$ and car keys, and as he got into the car (with any distractions), or after getting in...BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.
    Aw, man. Can't you get him before he is getting into your car? Why make a mess inside? Really!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

"Proximity beats skill"

Totally depends on how the situation plays out and what opportunities present themselves, if any.

Remember....only YOU must ALSO check backstop. And do you care who's behind you if he shoots?

If anything, I would see if I could offer my wallet as a distraction or for them to lower their guard thinking I had complied and see if I could get away with getting my hand in my purse for my gun. If so, I wouldnt even draw, I would point and shoot (I have practiced this)....I would only attempt this if I truly thought he was going to kill me.

Ayoob talks about this (depending on how close they are) as an unwinnable situation for even an expert to draw. He recomments CQC to deal with bg's gun and then use his weapon or your own.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Aw, man. Can't you get him before he is getting into your car? Why make a mess inside? Really!
    That's why I bought a leather interior, it doesn't stain as easily.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    That's a tough one, but in your cousin's situation I would have given him my $$ and car keys, and as he got into the car (with any distractions), or after getting in...BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

Officer, I feared for my life, the guy said he was going to kill me, I gave him my $$ and keys, and he said that he was still going to kill me.
    I had to save my own life. You can plainly see the gun he had, laying over there next to parts of his I.Q.

I will answer any other questions that you may have with my attorney present.

I dont think this would be seen as a legal shoot in most places. Most would say you were no longer in reasonable fear for your life. Which if he was leaving.....unless you claim he had his gun still on you (& it is still out) and you dont shoot him in the back/side....could be tough to prove.

Of course, it sounds like you'd take your chances with a jury, which we all must really, if we end up drawing.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Ayoob talks about this (depending on how close they are) as an unwinnable situation for even an expert to draw. He recomments CQC to deal with bg's gun and then use his weapon or your own.
    I've thought about that as well but you don't know the condition of the gun he's pointing at you - could be unloaded or un-chambered.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    Unless you can get off a central nervous system immediate stopping hit, even a fatally wounded BG will still have enough conscious time left to kill you.

Odds are all he wants is your money. If that is the sole demand, there is nothing to be gained by not complying.

If he tries to move you to a different location, put you in the trunk or appears to want to do something other than demand money, then, and only then, would it make sense to resist.

This. Esp. the first sentence. Any caliber....few first or even seconds STOP immediately.
    Fortune favors the bold.

You need 2 more options.
    #3 Comply then fight
    #4 Feel the situation out

It's really going to depend on alot of things such as surroundings, who is with me, and if it seems like the BG really wants my stuff or something else.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

VIP Member
    Of all the questions that can not be answered with a simple yes or no, this ranks pretty high on the list.

There are circumstances that would dictate compliance, and there are circumstances that would dictate fighting. To think that there is one "correct" answer for all possible robbed-at-gunpoint scenarios is short sighted, to say the very least.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Of all the questions that can not be answered with a simple yes or no, this ranks pretty high on the list.

There are circumstances that would dictate compliance, and there are circumstances that would dictate fighting. To think that there is one "correct" answer for all possible robbed-at-gunpoint scenarios is short sighted, to say the very least.
    The question is not about a particular situation but if your plan is to resist.

I suppose I could have posted an option that states "I'll wing it when it happens".

The point of the poll/thread is to encourage dialog on this topic because I'm kind of split on this one. The better one plans for emergencies, the better off one will be when one arrises.

Comply until you can gain an advantage....however miniscule....then FIGHT....until the fight is over...on your terms...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

act like i am complying (go for wallet) pull out 380...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Comply until you can gain an advantage....however miniscule....then FIGHT....until the fight is over...on your terms...
    That sums up my feelings. This is why I've always practiced H2H disciplines. At near contact distance my initial fight reaction would likely be an attempt at an overwhelming violent disarm. I likely wouldn't count on drawing first as my first action in this instance, but yes, I am more likely to fight rather than hope the offender just leaves after the robbery.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

For anyone who has done force-on-force type training with paintball or Simunitions type gear, have you ever successfully disarmed a "robber" who has a firearm on you as in this scenario ... without being struck by "bullets"? (Describe.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    For anyone who has done force-on-force type training with paintball or Simunitions type gear, have you ever successfully disarmed a "robber" who has a firearm on you as in this scenario ... without being struck by "bullets"? (Describe.)
    Yes, I have. But I'm also a multi decade martial arts practitioner, and will readily admit it is not always successful. I am still willing to accept the risk in most encounters rather than depend on the charity of a lawless thug who is already committing one crime against me.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Tough call, depends, if I see that he wants just my wallet and or car and that's all he ask for and is itchy to just get those items and go, he's got them and so long.

If he's cool and calculating in his approach and attitude and even gives em the hint that no matter what I do, I'm history, I'm going down fighting some how.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links