Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

This is a discussion on Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It depends on the circumstances. If my wife and daughter are present the decision is rather simple. Good night bad guy. If it is just ...

View Poll Results: Robbed at gunpoint - Fight or comply?

Voters
336. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comply with the BG, give him your $$ and play the odds that he's not going to shoot you if you comply.

105 31.25%
  • Fight

231 68.75%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

It depends on the circumstances. If my wife and daughter are present the decision is rather simple. Good night bad guy. If it is just me, well perhaps more time is available to see how it plays out. Being ex military I may look at this a bit differently, but if my loved ones are present and threatend then its lights out.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I dont think this would be seen as a legal shoot in most places. Most would say you were no longer in reasonable fear for your life. Which if he was leaving.....unless you claim he had his gun still on you (& it is still out) and you dont shoot him in the back/side....could be tough to prove.

Of course, it sounds like you'd take your chances with a jury, which we all must really, if we end up drawing.
    I do understand and agree with your point. I don't think I want to shoot a car moving away...it's over, but when I'm right there at the open door...could be a different story...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    Unless you can get off a central nervous system immediate stopping hit, even a fatally wounded BG will still have enough conscious time left to kill you.

Odds are all he wants is your money. If that is the sole demand, there is nothing to be gained by not complying.

If he tries to move you to a different location, put you in the trunk or appears to want to do something other than demand money, then, and only then, would it make sense to resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    It depends, but generally if I think I can leverage any advantage, I'll fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm gonna comply until he drops his guard then he's getting lead,I know from timed shoots it takes me at least 1.5 seconds to draw from concealment and get the first round off.
    Have to agree with ccw9mm
    and these posters; definitely depends, but if it looks like its goin' south fast, what have you got to lose.

Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.
    John Wayne
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    For anyone who has done force-on-force type training with paintball or Simunitions type gear, have you ever successfully disarmed a "robber" who has a firearm on you as in this scenario ... without being struck by "bullets"? (Describe.)
    I've not taken any FOF training (but would like to) but I'm not sure if this is a realistic scenario in FOF. The reason I think so is that there's no consequences in being the BG and shooting the GG in FOF.

I think that in a real situation, it's very possible that the BG is un-prepared for a victim that fights back, especially with a gun. I think that in most situations, the BG does not want to pull the trigger and that fighting back very well could be shocked into no response when a weak hand bats at his gun. The manager at a local gun store was carjacked (while armed) and when the cops came to clean up the mess, they found that the BG's weapon was not chambered.

Remember the video of the jewelry store where the GG bats the gun away from the BG and the BG doesn't shoot even though he's got plenty of time to get back on target. In FOF, it would be very easy to just pull the trigger at the first sign of resistance.

I think that my plan would be to feign compliance (while blubbering like and idiot) and bat with weak hand/draw with strong when I'm "going for my wallet" if he's within range. of course, specific conditions would dictate whether that's what I actually do or if I would simply comply.

Since we can't carry here I wouldn't have much choice in that situation...

Wait until BG turns to leave, pull gun and demand my stuff back. LOL Hey, it's an option.... I"m not sure it's a good or smart option.

Start car, drive towards BG ... he aims gun at you... run him over in self-defense.

Now, what I'm really trying to get at.... you can come up with lots of answers of all types. The key is, assessing everything you can in the situation and doing whatever it is that you think is necessary to protect your life and gives you the best chance of going home in one piece. But, there is no ONE answer that fits all, and don't limit your choices... think outside of the box as to what the BG expects you to do.

I'm not going to bet on hoping that he doesn't kill me. I am going to fake complying reach for my wallet, and produce the weapon.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Comply until you can gain an advantage....however miniscule....then FIGHT....until the fight is over...on your terms...
    Ding, Ding, Ding------

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

my "plan" is to asses the situation as it unfolds. Kind of like real martial arts... you can plan all you want but in the moment you forget everything but what has become instinctive. So i guess i really plan to be prepared

Hard to answer absolutely. But, most of today's scumbags are willing to kill witnesses for $2. My thinking would be that he is going to shoot me anyway.

Hopefully, my reach for my wallet won't give away my reach for my IWB -- about 6" from my wallet. Easy to say now I will be moving. Hopefully I will be moving if it actually happens.

Going back to another recent thread -- no need to stop at a double tap.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    It depends, but generally if I think I can leverage any advantage, I'll fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    +1 there is a reason we train.
    these are good^^^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Comply...the only option here in the 'gun-free Garden State.'
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

A while back I got to take part in a demonstration with a local police department where we were shown how to disarm a gunman at point blank range. I feel confident enough in my abilities that if he were close enough, I would fight.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My plan is to toss my wallet at him...While he is distracted by the wallet (natural instinct is to catch it) I will draw my handgun and shoot. I've practiced this drill with an empty gun at home, I can draw and shoot before my wallet hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    My plan is to toss my wallet at him...While he is distracted by the wallet (natural instinct is to catch it) I will draw my handgun and shoot. I've practiced this drill with an empty gun at home, I can draw and shoot before my wallet hits the ground.
    What if he shoots you and then picks up the wallet? This isnt a 'secret' strategy.

If anything, it's a 50-50 call. (how you see the original situation odds may or may not be the same.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links