Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

This is a discussion on Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BurgDog Odds are all he wants is your money. If that is the sole demand, there is nothing to be gained by ...

View Poll Results: Robbed at gunpoint - Fight or comply?

Voters
336. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comply with the BG, give him your $$ and play the odds that he's not going to shoot you if you comply.

105 31.25%
  • Fight

231 68.75%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    Odds are all he wants is your money. If that is the sole demand, there is nothing to be gained by not complying.
    I know of no study to substantiate that statement.

From most studies that I am familiar with, this is not good advice.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Assess the situation and then decide?!?!

This is so far outside my skill set that I can't imagine it. Fight, and I mean fight immediately is the only practical option within my age and abilities.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Probably give him the cash and be a good witness. He's got the drop on you, and the game is lost. Comply unless they try to take you somewhere or make you take them somewhere, IMO.

The fact that it's a robbery, to me, means he doesn't want to kill you (there are times this is false, I know). If he just wanted the money by any means, he'd kill you outright then take your money. The only time that this would transfer over, again, just my opinion, is when he wants to remove you from your environment where killing you would be less likely to be detected. Don't go with them anywhere, no matter what!

I'm new to guns but not new to being in a compromising situation with a known criminal. The best answer I've seen yet is Sig P229's staged answer.

Basically, comply as best you can until you have the opportunity and responsibility not to comply. Then, you fight with all you've got and keep it up until the situation is over.

This plan applies whether its an armed robber or any other self-defense situation.

I think all of us here would choose to fight when the situation both warrants it and we have that opportunity available to us.

Your cousin, not being armed, did not have that opportunity. Those us who would have been armed at the time it happened, would have the ability, given the chance, to fight back if we could. Therein lies the difference.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    2 BG's here in the Memphis area found out first hand that it's not a good thing to try and rob someone with a gun and permit to carry. Friday a BG was attempting to rob a man with a knife when the victim pulled his weapon and shot the robber dead.

Sunday afternoon a man was getting items from the back of his SUV in a driveway when he was approached by an individual who told him to give up his wallet. Instead he pulled his handgun and shot the robber who is in the hospital in critical condition.

Here are the complete stories...

Knife-wielding man shot to death at Family Dollar parking lot - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com |

Mid-South man defends himself against possible armed robber - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com |
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    I just found out that my cousin was robbed at gunpoint a few weeks back. He doesn't carry.

Apparently he was walking to his car when a single BG came up to him, pointed a gun at him and demanded money and his car keys. He complied and the BG took the car and drove away. My cousin and his wife were unhurt.

The question is: if it was you and you were carrying, would you attempt to do something or would you comply and cross your fingers?

I typically cary at 3:30 IWB so it would be easy to draw when feigning a grab for my wallet. BG should be surprised and stuck in an unusually long OODA loop segment. A step off the X, perhaps a sweep with my week hand to push the gun out of the way and a few shots could end things really quickly.

On the other hand, things could go terribly wrong. He could be twitchy and shoot the second fast movement started. Things might not go according to plan. Depending on who's standing where, bumping the BG's gun might end up with it pointing at your spouse etc. Out drawing a gun pointed at you can be bad. etc. etc.
    I am going to say in that given scenario, I am going to fight back with an overwhelming and determined counterattack with a high level of confidence and violence of action. I have several plans of counter attack for several types of scenarios.

What you outlined above, (I highlighted in bold type) is a good counter attack at contact distance out to 2 or 3 feet, but if you have any delusions of being able to execute that drill with the flawless precision that Tom Cruise did during the "stolen briefcase" scene of the movie Collateral, you better get to practicing that response.

Being able to visualize doing things in your mind and think you have all the details worked out, doesn't transpose to working in reality. You must train on specific drills until it is not only second nature, but also built into muscle memory.

And then, even when you do have the response second nature and built into your muscle memory, you have to have the guts and intestinal fortitude to do it! It's in just that kind of scenario where a moments hesitation can and will get you killed.

Therefore, if you do not have a committed mindset that you are going to win at all cost and that you will survive I would strongly caution someone to seriously evaluate how they are going to respond. If you have a wishy washy mindset in which you have a certain fear that you will mess it up, you probably will.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

United States Concealed Carry Association

Flip 'em the bird and die like a viking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    The fact that it's a robbery, to me, means he doesn't want to kill you ...
    "Fact"?

As mentioned, a percentage of incidents end up with more than just initial compliance taken from the victims. The news in any given year is full of it, these days.

The full list of goals are unknown. It might include your money, things, car, your obedience, and/or your life. Or, any combination of those. No telling, simply based on what the BG has said so far.

He's already made his intent clear: to kill you if you don't comply. It's a small stretch to get to killing you irrespective of whether you comply, or even after you comply.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Odds are is that I will just give him what he wants and go.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Odds are is that I will just give him what he wants and go.
    See, that's the $64,000 question, now isn't it? How do you know you are going to just go on your way after you give him what he wants?

There are a lot of people killed every year even after complying. I am not going to have the bad guy attempt to negotiate with my life at his whim and whimsy. Ain't gonna happen.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One thing not discussed here was situational awareness..

I could not imagine someone just walking up to me when I am at my car without me knowing..I am one untrusting SOB.

If someone is walking toward me he will be met with immediate eye contact and if there is anything in his hands I'm moving towards him and away from my family. My wife has seen me in target lock enough to know to not follow and move to somewhere safe.

You need to proactive way before the gunfight starts.

I know thats not the senario but needed to be said.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Obviously, I'd try to determine his state of mind. Recently a woman here in Jackson was shot in the face because she only had $5 cash on her. That makes me want to fight.

But when it all comes down to it, if I think I can get out of the situation with my life intact, I'll give them whatever they want and take good notes.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    In the words of Billy the Kid... "Nobody ever outdrew a gun that was already pointed at them."

If someone is standing three feet away from you with a gun in your face and your wife/girlfriend/friend/child/etc. is standing next to you, sounds like you've already lost.

Really the only two choices are to comply and hope for the best or try to change the situation somehow. Like... toss your keys a ways away from you. Drop them at the mugger's feet, then kick him in the face when he bends down to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    The fact that it's a robbery, to me, means he doesn't want to kill you
    Frankly, I don't care what he wants. Keep in mind this scenario involves having a deadly weapon pointed at you. Whether he intends to use it or not, that is threat of death. At that point I stop caring about what the other guy wants.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For this situation, I would be 50/50 on each I suppose...so that isn't a real answer.

If my spouse is with me, she carries in her purse (I know it's a bad idea, but that's what she's comfortable with; and as long as she is carrying I suppose). So if the BG asks for the purse, I would have to shoot, because her gun is in there. Hopefully she'll remember to just toss it at his feet, and pray that it's enough time for me to draw.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links