Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? - Page 5

Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

This is a discussion on Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with paaiyan and others on this: I don't plan on letting the so called "BG" dictate what is going to happen, or not ...

View Poll Results: Robbed at gunpoint - Fight or comply?

Voters
336. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comply with the BG, give him your $$ and play the odds that he's not going to shoot you if you comply.

105 31.25%
  • Fight

231 68.75%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

I agree with paaiyan and others on this:

I don't plan on letting the so called "BG" dictate what is going to happen, or not happen. This IS why we train, is it not? (or, this is a facet that we SHOULD be training on regularly)

To carry a weapon that is capable of taking a human life, is an enormous responsibility. I don't take that lightly, as well as I don't take lightly the fact that someone is willing to put my life on the line or my loved one's on the line.

Someone points a DEADLY weapon at me, or my family, then they're most certainly going to pay for their actions, dearly. They made the decision, and they will live, and die, with said decision...

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Wait until BG turns to leave, pull gun and demand my stuff back. LOL Hey, it's an option.... I"m not sure it's a good or smart option.

Start car, drive towards BG ... he aims gun at you... run him over in self-defense.

Now, what I'm really trying to get at.... you can come up with lots of answers of all types. The key is, assessing everything you can in the situation and doing whatever it is that you think is necessary to protect your life and gives you the best chance of going home in one piece. But, there is no ONE answer that fits all, and don't limit your choices... think outside of the box as to what the BG expects you to do.
    is there a theme there that once the robbery is over the thief just turns and walks away without paying attention to what you are doing?...

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoryRealm View Post
    I agree with paaiyan and others on this:

I don't plan on letting the so called "BG" dictate what is going to happen, or not happen. This IS why we train, is it not? (or, this is a facet that we SHOULD be training on regularly)

To carry a weapon that is capable of taking a human life, is an enormous responsibility. I don't take that lightly, as well as I don't take lightly the fact that someone is willing to put my life on the line or my loved one's on the line.

Someone points a DEADLY weapon at me, or my family, then they're most certainly going to pay for their actions, dearly. They made the decision, and they will live, and die, with said decision...
    Even though for the most part I agree with you, I believe you need to be prepared to be "flamed" by a large number of posters.

I would reach for my "wallet" and pull out my gun instead. Then I'd unload as much ammo into his gut/head as I could. These thugs shoot like idiots anyway, what with the sideways "gangster style" shooting. I'd have the upper hand in accuracy, at the very least.

If someone threatens you with deadly force if you do not give them your money, etc, then they've already made it clear that they are willing to kill you. At that point, I assume I am going to be shot.

I'd rather the police find me shot on the sidewalk after having unloaded 13 rounds out of my pistol. It's better than finding me in the same position with a full clip. My life is valuable, and I want to do everything I can to defend it.
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

It probably would be best to just give him the money, but I don't think I could do it.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Was this in Detroit??

I did actually , well twice, have a panhandler decide to turn it into a robbery because I wouldn't give them any money. However, the one time... I actually had NO money on me. I pulled out my wallet and opened it, showing there was NO money in it. When he began cussing me...... I started hitting him up for a couple of bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by earlthegoat2 View Post
    Was this in Detroit??
    Parma Ohio (near Cleveland).

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    In the words of Billy the Kid... "Nobody ever outdrew a gun that was already pointed at them."

If someone is standing three feet away from you with a gun in your face and your wife/girlfriend/friend/child/etc. is standing next to you, sounds like you've already lost.

Really the only two choices are to comply and hope for the best or try to change the situation somehow. Like... toss your keys a ways away from you. Drop them at the mugger's feet, then kick him in the face when he bends down to get them.
    how about when he tells you to pick up the keys and stages the trigger on his gun...another one who thinks thieves are idiots...these guys generally dont survive as long as they do by falling for ******* tricks...some of them are quite accomplished...

seems some think that everyone who points a gun at someone illegally has no idea what they are getting into and is just punk gangsta...

when the gun is pointed at you and you finish peeing your pants there are going to be real decisions to make...not movie fantasy stuff...unless youre chuck norris...

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I would reach for my "wallet" and pull out my gun instead. Then I'd unload as much ammo into his gut/head as I could. These thugs shoot like idiots anyway, what with the sideways "gangster style" shooting. I'd have the upper hand in accuracy, at the very least.

If someone threatens you with deadly force if you do not give them your money, etc, then they've already made it clear that they are willing to kill you. At that point, I assume I am going to be shot.

I'd rather the police find me shot on the sidewalk after having unloaded 13 rounds out of my pistol. It's better than finding me in the same position with a full clip. My life is valuable, and I want to do everything I can to defend it.
    "Proximity beats skill" Your accuracy wont matter....he'll be shooting first.

They have run these drills a million times. You wont be drawn and even point shooting before he's shooting. Even if he's expecting a wallet. All he has to do is pull the trigger. (And did you already check your backstop???? That takes time too....and he could care less about that)

In such situations, if you are going to fight back close quarters combat is what is recommended....not going for your gun.

Among other sources, "The Book of Combat Handgunnery," M. Ayoob.

Not to mention my favorite....shooting rarely stops them immediately, ever. You're gonna get hurt, if not dead.

Unless I'm darn sure he'll kill me anyway, I'm giving him my purse.

(This isnt aimed just at this poster....it's just something to consider when you choose 'to go down fighting' over your wallet.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Blade...you and I are just on the same page today!

Cheers.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Big question is.......how did you get yourself in that situation to begin with?
    We are taught to be ever vigulant to all those around you.....
    Try to stay in well lit and populated (busy) areas
    Watch for body language , eye contact of those who approach.

With all this in mind...if someone still gets the drop on you and has the tactical advantage (especially if you have family members with you)...you are wiser to comply and hope to God the BG is not on crack or something and starts shooting anyway...

Tough call either way......
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I'm most likely going to fight.
    Because you can draw, aim and fire faster than he can pull his trigger?
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm gonna comply until he drops his guard then he's getting lead,I know from timed shoots it takes me at least 1.5 seconds to draw from concealment and get the first round off.
    I wonder how long it would take the BG to "twitch" his finger. I am betting a lot less than 1.5 seconds.
    Yocan

Quote Originally Posted by TheoryRealm View Post
    As will you.
    Yocan

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links