Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

This is a discussion on Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mirage2521 As will you. And YOU will never have to deal with the SAME "robber" pointing a deadly weapon against your family.......

View Poll Results: Robbed at gunpoint - Fight or comply?

Voters
336. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comply with the BG, give him your $$ and play the odds that he's not going to shoot you if you comply.

105 31.25%
  • Fight

231 68.75%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbed at gunpoint, Fight or Comply?

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    As will you.
    And YOU will never have to deal with the SAME "robber" pointing a deadly weapon against your family....
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    I comply, while watching for an advantage. If I get enough of one AND I get a feeling this isn't going to end well, I fight. The wallet is a lot less money than hospital bills, legal fees or both....
    +1

I'm no hero, and if I think I can make it out of that situation less wallet, it's his! If I don't think I'll make it out of that situation, then I fight in proper Kzinti style or collapse (and draw) in faked heart attack and shoot up into the bad guy. But it isn't my job to play cop, to stand on my honor, to defend my principles, or follow in Gecko's footsteps.

No slam intended on those of you who really are properly trained for rapid draws and close-quarters combat: my compliments and wish I had started down your road a lot earlier. Just answering for me and the poorly-trained or physically-challenged who might read this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoryRealm View Post
    And YOU will never have to deal with the SAME "robber" pointing a deadly weapon against your family....
    youre right...we may have to deal with a murderer in the future...

Quote Originally Posted by golfnguns View Post
    Bottom line, I want you to live, and I bet your wife would want the same. Be blessed, brother.
    Like I said, if I felt the conditions were in my favor I'd fight. That was in my original post I believe. I know for a fact that if I'm within 3-4 feet and facing my assailant, I can move quickly enough to grab the muzzle of the gun and move it to a safe direction faster than he can pull the trigger. I haven't been through much close quarters combat training, not as much as some guys, but I'm confident in my ability to point their muzzle in a safe direction and cause a jam after the first shot.

They'll get one round off and it'll be loud as heck, but it'll go where I want it (of course I'll make sure it's a safe direction) and they won't get another one off. I'm not trying to sound cocky, I'm just saying that if I can get him close enough to hand him my wallet, he's going down.

If the circumstances lie in the thieves favor, I'll give him my debit card (because I don't carry cash) and I'll have it canceled within 20 minutes.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    understand something that has been brought up previously...television isnt real...historically and statistically people are not brought down by one or even several gunshots to center mass...they continue to fight until they are no longer able...the chances of you drawing and stopping the threat before he shoots you (possibly terminally) are very slim...

for the "lcp in the back pocket looks like i'm going for my wallet" crowd...it looks like youre going for a wallet until you make the sudden move to shoot...then its all bets off...the term "dont make any sudden moves" wasnt made up...it is real...you arent going to introduce a gun slowly....when someone already has their finger on the trigger all it takes is a flinch and there is lead en route...unless you are experienced at the draw, firing an making space you will be feeling a sharp pain and burning sensation that you arent familiar with shooting at the range...

this isnt a magic show...its violence...the mayor doesnt give you a key to the city and they wont make a big light with your trademark symbol to shine in the sky when they need you...

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It probably can't be emphasized enough, but the real solution to this scenario is to not let it happen.

A gram of situational awareness can avoid this situation or prevent it in virtually all cases.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm gonna comply until he drops his guard then he's getting lead
    I carry an old wallet with an expired driver license and some old credit cards, photo's and about $35, keep it tucked in my back pocket below my gun. If the BG got the drop on me he gets the wallet first, if he ain't paying attention he gets the gun, bullets first!
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I think many of you have influenced my position on this, and I think I'd be more likely to comply, but also look for opportunities to escape.

I know some guys who've been mugged, and if they had fought, they might not be around anymore...
    Springfield XD45 4" 13+1

Put simply, I will either kill them or die trying. Going up against a drawn weapon means you're dead already. Once you accept that for what it is, you will be able to function as a warrior should function. No mercy, just violence of action. Now handle your business.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

If the BG already has their gun drawn on you, you have probably already lost this gunfight. It is probably better to give up your wallet than to give up your life, but every situation is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Going up against a drawn weapon means you're dead already. Once you accept that for what it is, you will be able to function as a warrior should function. .

This is completely inaccurate...most criminals who pull their guns do not shoot their victims.

And most of the people carrying concealed weapons are not warriors...mentally or physically. (Altho some are active & ex military).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Paaiyan, I missed your earlier post where you discussed disarming rather than drawing first. My apologies. The move you described to disarm is similar to what they use in CQC (which is just a term for hand-to-hand fighting....and LE and the military have developed disarming moves within that).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    This is completely inaccurate...most criminals who pull their guns do not shoot their victims.

And most of the people carrying concealed weapons are not warriors...mentally or physically. (Altho some are active & ex military).
    My post went completely over your head.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

One of the mistakes people make when it comes to guns is the assumption that people will comply just because you have one. When you don’t comply or you do something that looks like compliance but isn’t it takes a second for the mind to switch gears. Action almost always beats reaction. I have no reason to believe that a person who’s willing to rob me at gunpoint won’t kill me no matter what I do That’s compounded by the fact that I never carry money so no matter what all the bad guy is getting is an empty wallet ( how do you think that might work out for me?) Compliance isn’t going to gain me anything I might as well try fighting.

Originally posted by Tubby45 Going up against a drawn weapon means you're dead already. Once you accept that for what it is, you will be able to function as a warrior should function.
    Yeah that sounds like some serious mall ninja posturing. I don't carry a gun to be a "Warrior". I carry a gun for self defense. I'm not some modern day Samuri

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Yeah that sounds like some serious mall ninja posturing. I don't carry a gun to be a "Warrior". I carry a gun for self defense. I'm not some modern day Samuri
    You just don't get it. The fact that it has to be explained to you means you don't understand the concept of self defense.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links