Scare at Home - Page 3

Scare at Home

This is a discussion on Scare at Home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a keyless entry keypad mounted next to my door so the kids could get in without having to carry a remote. After about ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scare at Home

I had a keyless entry keypad mounted next to my door so the kids could get in without having to carry a remote. After about 15 years it went bad. When it failed it started randomly opening the garage door. I have also seen TV remotes that send random signals to the set when the batteries are dying. Check the batteries in your remotes.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Before you start to spend a lot of money on a new opener there is one of two problems that you may have;

1) Someone is casing the place

2) Your opener maybe defective. My opener used to open up and close at random. It started to do it every now and again then it did it all the time during the day time and night time. I had a guy come out and he said that something was going wrong with the "brain" of the opener and fixed it. I haven't had any problems since.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member

Opener going defective

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Before you start to spend a lot of money on a new opener there is one of two problems that you may have;

1) Someone is casing the place

2) Your opener maybe defective. My opener used to open up and close at random. It started to do it every now and again then it did it all the time during the day time and night time. I had a guy come out and he said that something was going wrong with the "brain" of the opener and fixed it. I haven't had any problems since.
    We replaced ours about 3 weeks ago. The first indication something was going wrong was when it opened on its own about two weeks before the final fatal plunge into opener limbo.

Well, it was 21 years old, so no big loss-- it was time for a new one.

The new one has a key-pad outside which activates the opener by radio signal the same as the little remote controls. Those, are in the cars, one of which is outside all the time.

The only way to be sure the door isn't opened by someone playing with the key-pad (chance), or someone having broken into the car to get the remote that resides there, is to use a remotely controlled power plug to shut it down for good at night.

When shopping for these, make sure the remote controlled switch is rated sufficiently high (amps) to work your opener. Some of what is on the market is really just for lamps, and can't handle the power load of a 1/2-3/4 horse motor.

Better garage door openers like the chamberlane whisper have a security button that prevents the garage from being opened from the outside with a remote.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The lock mode takes care of the problem and is very easy if your model has that feature. Glad you noticed you have this before you went through some alternative fix.
    Yes and me too.

It does not have rolling codes, something I was considering upgrading to.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    My garage door opener has a disabling/enabling switch which I, too, required several years to notice. Doh!

If I leave town, I unplug the motor, cover the cord's plug with duct tape as a reminder to self, and put clamps on the door so it can't easily be raised by thieves.

Another gadget I really like is the remote position indicator. There is a little mercury rocker switch with a transmitter mounted on the upper door panel. A receiver in the kitchen shows a green light if the door is fully closed or a red light if the door is open even a little bit. You can get one of these cheap at places like Lowe's and install it instantly yourself.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Once Bitten: Your wow makes it sound like it is a lot of trouble for what I do but it only means locking a bedroom door with the lock that is already on the door handle and placing the mat that is there closer to door and using one of those simple door stoppers. The rest of it is just simply leaving the cell phone and my car keys by my bed instead of in the kitchen and takes no time at all. In 68 years I have never had any encounters of any kind anywhere but, quite frankly, I do not like our country right now and the direction it seems to be lurching to and do not intend to be a sheep to anyone when it comes to my life or that of my wife; "stuff", however, is not worth my life by going out to "investigate" a bump in the night.

Do not disengage the chain. That will leave your door easy to open.

Often thieves will break a garage door window and pull that rope themselves to open the door. Why do their work for them.

To prevent access like this, I removed the pull rope, replaced the lynch pins that hold the arm to the door with bolts, put a layer of polycarbonate inside the windows, and privacy screen to obscure ability to see in.

Also I had door alarm sensors installed on the doors and motion sensors in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    I think better than turning off the opener is to just use the built in manual bar that locks the garage door while you are at home. That way, if someone or something does it again.. you will hear the garage door try to open but stop due to the bar manually blocking it. Just remember to unlock it again before you back through it with the car in the morning... :-)
    I do this. I don't want any one stealing my tools or meat from the deep freezer. Plus the pantry overflow is in the garage, along with a bunch of other stuff that I really want to keep in my possession. Also have motions in the garage.

I personally would have called it in to LE while waiting 20 feet behind the only door from the garage to the interior of the house. My mobile phone + light go everywhere that the gun goes.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

This happened to me a few times, and I found out that my garage door has a little button next to the inside opener that has a lock function. If you 'lock' the garage door from inside, it won't open until you press the button from the inside again (i.e. no result from pressing the opener from the inside or outside, and it locks out the panel).

I actually called a garage-door repairman before I figured out what it did...

But now, when my wife comes home and closes the garage door, she hits the 'lock' and goes upstairs. When she leaves, he has to press the unlock button and off she goes. It's not perfect, but the panel in the garage cost maybe $20.

Quote Originally Posted by maasat View Post
    I went to bed at 0030 last Friday night. At about 0200 I heard my garage door open. My first thought was someone broke into my car and used the garage door opener to get into the house. I jumped up grabbed my G23 from the safe, checked my son's room on the way to the inner garage door (in case he was trying to sneak out-12 yr old), and stopped. I figured if anyone was in the garage they would come through the only door to the house from the garage. I backed up about 20 ft from the door and kept the G23 pointed at the door. I stayed there for about a minute and then decided to check the garage (I'm not a handyman type so I don't have anything in the garage worth stealing, in fact, I wish someone would take some of the junk in there). I cleared both sides of the doorway and walked in to the garage. I cleared the car, the garage, my car, and the perimeter of the house. Minus a few cars driving by watching me walk around my house in shorts and in the cold weather, all was good. This was the first time anything happened to me like that here so I was pretty happy with the way I reacted. My wife always gives me crap about CCW and having a gun in the house but after last week she was happy. Never did find out what it was that opened up the door but I changed the freq and all seems well. She said the garage door did that a few times while I was deployed last year. Who knows.
    A neighbor of my parents used to find his garage door open several morning a a week. Then, one morning as he was picking up the morning newspaper, a police car drove by and the garage door opened. I guess he changed the frequency or something because he had no more problems after that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links