What if?

This is a discussion on What if? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if this has been done before or not. Say you and a friend that doesn't have a ccw are in a resteraunt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if?

What if?

I don't know if this has been done before or not.

Say you and a friend that doesn't have a ccw are in a resteraunt or bank or something, and you notice BG's with masks or something coming in. You have your EDC + a BUG. You know your buddy is a good shot and can use your BUG. What would the legal implications of passing your BUG to your buddy be, and would you do it?
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

2. Remove Ads

Im not giving my gun to him, and i am not shooting unless it breaks down into a hostage situation or something like that.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Tough one, I would think if you handed over your BUG your buddy might get in trouble for having a gun w/o a license to carry. If everything turned out OK with the heist then he, and you, may get a pass.

I'd sit tight and hang on to both guns, IMO, and play the cards that are delt me.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

VIP Member
    I'm keeping both guns on me. If it comes to a shooting situation and my primary fails, I'll want my BUG.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'm keeping both guns on me. If it comes to a shooting situation and my primary fails, I'll want my BUG.
    This is just what I believe I would do.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I don't think I would arm my friend in that situation, and really, if they're just there to rob the place and leave they would probably stay holstered. No need to risk your life over someone else's (probably insured) money.

if it was only a robbery I would keep my options holstered and become the smallest target I could. Banks and resteraunts are insured for loss and their money is not worth the lives of myself or my friend. Now if it came down to an active shooter I would respond because when the bullets are already flying nothing is garunteed and I am going to fight for my life. I would arm my friend and he would become my battle buddy.

With my luck, I'd give my gun to someone who doesn't carry (how safe will he/she be?), and get shot with my own weapon in all the excitement. I'll keep my own weapons...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I say, pick better friends... ones who do take their personal safety seriously. That'll help avoid those deep philosophical arguments with yourself when the SHTF.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lightbulb

That'll help avoid those deep philosophical arguments with yourself when the SHTF.
    i whould hope classical philosophy if you are going to do that.

really wish i chould insurt a picture of "School of Athens" by Sanzio

All of my friends carry glocks (and usually with a spare mag) and we train regularly, so the BG would have picked the wrong bank that day (should he choose to turn this into a hostage situation).

I'm not shooting over the banks FDIC insured money though. I will shoot over my life being in danger.

One of the reasons I carry a second or third gun is to arm a qualified, but unarmed, individual.

I would have to give serious consideration to arming my friend. If things went south, and I knew my friend to be "qualified" I'd much rather give the badguys two targets to aim at than just me alone. Also, two against X number of badguys is better than one against the same number of badguys.

My wife shoot better than I do and her preferred platform is a Glock 19 at this time. Therefore I carry a 19 and a 26 as she very seldom carries. I can arm her if the situation dictates, or she can pick up my gun and finish the fight if needed.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    It depends on your State laws.
    Here in MI it would be legal as there is no permit required to OC.
    The shoot/don't shoot case is something else entirely, until I'm there, it's impossible to say.
    For me there are only two people I know I would hand my gun off to, my husband and my father, which likely wouldn't be necessary, unless they had a mechanical issue with their own firearm.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

No, I do not know the level of training of most of the people I know.
    On the other hand my best friend is my wife and shes armed just like I am, I try not to go inside banks to begin with.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    The answer to this depends on so much and varies so much. Generally speaking I'd like to think that we could sit tight, the BG's get their money and head out. However I realize it could turn much worse quickly.

So to answer the question, yes I'd consider giving the other gun to a "buddy", but it depends on a lot, including just exactly who that buddy is.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but here is a very related question to the OP question:

Let's say you and your wife are in a restaurant, she's armed and you aren't. You both sense that the restaurant is being robbed and you know it could get worse quickly and you hope to be left alone, but you'd like a chance to be somewhat more prepared.

Given the opportunity, would you prefer your wife be ready to defend you two, or would you prefer her to discreetly give her weapon to you? Also how would your wife feel about this?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links