Broken down vehicle and bad industrial neighborhood

This is a discussion on Broken down vehicle and bad industrial neighborhood within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was with my mother visiting from out of town and had my daughter and nephew in my Chevy Surbaban driving to the NASA Space ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken down vehicle and bad industrial neighborhood

Broken down vehicle and bad industrial neighborhood

I was with my mother visiting from out of town and had my daughter and nephew in my Chevy Surbaban driving to the NASA Space Center when my vehicle bearings went out in North Houston near Bender and Beltway 8. My vehicle was not going to go to far and I had to call my wife to meet me at the mechanics shop which is in the industrial part of bender. I arrived at the mechanics shop and called the mechanic to tell him that I am leaving the vehicle in the front of his shop and drop the keys inside the shops mail slot. I was waiting for my wife and father in law to arrive when a van full of individuals with shaved heads immediately stopped in the middle of the road and started to watch me. I was talking with my wife on the phone and immediately gave her the license plate number to the vehicle and told her to immediately call the police if I give her the command. I was not comfortable with this group just stopping in the middle of road and staring at me. I was not carrying concealed as I was enroute to the NASA space center where firearms are prohibited even in vehicles. The only weapon I had was a stun gun in the glove compartment and an ax in the trunk which I used to cut down the branches of the tree at my house. The vehicle left after five minutes and I was still on the phone with my wife. I felt that the occupants were hesitant as I was on the phone and new that information was being passed when they probably noticed that I read the license plate number. My wife finally arrived and I called the owner of the shop and he told me that they were probably scouting the area to break into vehicles and steal stereo sets. He called the police and provided the license plate number to them. I was glad that nothing bad came out of it and regret that I was not armed but upset that I was prevented due to another gun free zone. The owner arrived and put my vehicle inside the shop. I did not make it to the NASA space center but will make sure the car is in good order.

My question is what you guys would have done? What weapon would you guys resort between the stun gun and ax?

2. Remove Ads

Nobody in their right mind screws with a guy with an ax.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Nobody in their right mind screws with a guy with an ax.
    But seriously, is no match for a bunch of BGs with bad intentions. The OP handled it well, IMO. I would probably have
    fortified myself back in my vehicle.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I don't think you could have done much better.

As for a weapon...anything at hand in a pinch.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

You had your brain, phone, axe and stun. And you handled it well.

You had the car, of course, but that would be too easily broken into, even had you locked yourself inside. And there were the passing motorists, but it's likely none would have stopped for you.

You combined brain+phone, which apparently was sufficient to cause doubt in the minds of the group doing the stalking. You would have appeared to be passing intel to police or someone else, and that could easily be sufficient in a case where that car/license was theirs. Either they were stalking the area or you, but likely you if it was clear they were making eye contact and commenting on your situation.

Perfect. You stayed calm, passed along enough information in such a way to show them that others knew the situation. That probably strongly suggested to them that you weren't armed, such that a quick snatch-and-grab could have worked, if not for the likelihood you passed along their license and description. Kudos!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You did just fine, and I'm not sure that without a firearm, you could have done anything else.
    Scumbags are roaming all over the earth, and hopefully, each of them crosses paths with a well-armed citizen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Deterrence

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    But seriously, is no match for a bunch of BGs with bad intentions. The OP handled it well, IMO. I would probably have
    fortified myself back in my vehicle.
    oldogy
    Yes, agree, but I bet the sight of the ax would have stopped an attack. No one wants to risk getting hurt; even BGs, unless they are just crazy.

These guys weren't crazy. They'd have made up some story, told him
    everything was cool, and left.

Thanks guys,

My decision would have resorted to grabbing the axe if the group decided to come to me. This is especially true since my four year old daughter and eleven year old nephew were in the car and I would not take the chance of letting anything happen to them without a fight.

I don't know what else you could have done. Tell your wife to call 911? And report what? Some guys are stopped in the street? At least you did have some weapons at hand.

Yessir -- those no guns zones really keep us safe.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    You did everything right you could. Throw the kids back in the vehicle, lock the door, give one of them the stun gun and tell them to stun whomever gets in, have the wife call the cops and use the axe in the best defensive position possible close to the vehicle, but away alittle as to draw the fire away from the kids if it came to that. In other words take the fight to them.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Regular vehicle maintenance and inspections?
    Sorry I'm just "that way"
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Regular vehicle maintenance and inspections?
    Sorry I'm just "that way"
    That is interesting that you stated as I had my vehicle serviced two weeks ago for alignment issues and made no suggestion that my bearings will be bad. I just heard the pop when I was driving today.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp210 View Post
    I had my vehicle serviced two weeks ago for alignment issues and made no suggestion that my bearings will be bad. I just heard the pop when I was driving today.
    What mileage was the Suburban?

At what mileage was the last time the bearings were replaced or serviced?

There is no telling when some parts will go bad, of course, but an aggressive maintenance schedule can catch many things ahead of time. Yes, such a schedule will require working on things well ahead of actual failure. But then, that's the point. In cars I have driven and owned, wheel bearings are one of those things that often get replaced at a given mileage "just because." They don't show obvious signs of imminent failure, the life span is roughly tied to usage/wear, they're relatively easy to replace/service, and they will stop a car cold if they fail. Clutches can be like this, as well.

I'm unfamiliar with the Suburban, in particular, but it's likely to be similar in this regard, with respect to the bearings.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah... another thumbs down for gun free zones where no guns are allowed even locked in the vehicle!

Other than what ccw9mm pointed out above regarding routine preventative maintenance, I think you acted very prudently and to the best of what you had available!

The main weapon a person possess is their brain, and you utilized yours very effectively. Staying on the phone for the duration, giving your wife a description of their vehicle as well as license plate and instructions to immediately call police if indicated, as well as informing the shop owner.

I think that's about as best as could be expected. +1 for the shop owner making the effort to come down and put your vehicle inside the lot
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Good job in thinking on your feet.

The axe is pretty intimidating looking, no doubt.

HINT: If you ever have to chase someone while you're carrying an axe, avoid chopping down at them at the same time you run. True story- we had a drunk guy chasing his wife around their house, while swinging an axe at her.........he managed to misjudge his swing and running step and chopped himself in his own foot as he ran.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links