Good Practice

Good Practice

This is a discussion on Good Practice within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other night, my wife and I went to bed around 1030, kids were already on bed. I had just fallen asleep, when I heard ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Practice

Good Practice

The other night, my wife and I went to bed around 1030, kids were already on bed. I had just fallen asleep, when I heard a CRASH from our living room. I immediately grabbed my Walther P99 and entered the upstairs hallway. After clearing the hallway, I checked both kids rooms to verify they were in bed, while maintaining visual on teh stairs. Both kids were asleep, so I headed downstairs, clearing the living room as it came in to view (partially open to the stairs). After clearing the rest of the house, I determined that the dog knocked over and broke a soup bowl my daughter had left on the end table - scared the whole family.

Why do I say 'good practice?' It opened up a discussion with my wife and I as to what she should do in that situation - load her 870 and wait at the top of the stairs to protect herself and the kids. It also gave me the chance to practice clearing the house in a semi-stressful situation.

Good outcome, except for the soup bowl. I share this to encourage others to have this conversation with their wife / husband / family, and know each others movements should there be an event in the home.

You keep the pistol loaded, but not the shotgun?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    I bet the dog will be a lot more careful next time, too.

shotgun question

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    You keep the pistol loaded, but not the shotgun?

Good point, and that has since been changed. The shotgun is hers, and it took that little scenerio to make my wife understand how long it REALLY takes to get it loaded and ready if it isn't already. Now there are two in the mag (I haven't taken the plug out yet) and empty chamber at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by wraymusicman View Post
    Good point, and that has since been changed. The shotgun is hers, and it took that little scenerio to make my wife understand how long it REALLY takes to get it loaded and ready if it isn't already. Now there are two in the mag (I haven't taken the plug out yet) and empty chamber at all times.
    What preventions are you using to keep the loaded weapons out of your childrens hands?

-Will Rogers

My kids are 15 and 16, and are trained in the use and handling of firearms. However, having been a teenager myself, I do take some precautions. The shotgun mentioned is accessible to everyone. The handgun mentioned is usually on my person, or in the car, unless I'm home. All other firearms have trigger locks on them.

My kids are 15 and 16, and are trained in the use and handling of firearms. However, having been a teenager myself, I do take some precautions. The shotgun mentioned is accessible to everyone. The handgun mentioned is usually on my person, or in the car, unless I'm home. All other firearms have trigger locks on them.
    OK.....I just saw the term "kids" & I envisioned youngsters. Good for you!!

-Will Rogers

"The shotgun mentioned is accessible to everyone."

Your kids, their friends, and anyone who is in your house when you are, and are not home.
    For me, it's under my control or locked at all times.
    The one thing that you can count on is a "kid" making a poor choice.
    JMO

OK - just to clarify, 'accessible to everyone' means that everyone living in the house knows where it is stored. It is not kept out in the open or visible, and if we have other family or friends in the house, the location is easily sealed off and rendered inaccessibly to others who do not need to know of its whereabouts. And when my wife or I are not home, there are no other kids / friends / family in the house. That is a long standing and strongly enforced household rule.

As far as a kid making a poor choice, I know that all too well (insert stories here). However, seeing what a shotgun can do to a #5 block of ice is a demonstration I recommend to anyone thinking about teaching firearm safety to their kids or spouse. Makes quite an impression, especially if you hand them a small hammer before hand and tell them to break the block in half. It's a lesson they will NEVER forget!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    educate them young. Drill safety in their heads. OP seems to have done this already.

IMO Lay off on the kid gun negligence bit, it doesn't apply here.

OP good practice indeed there is nothing like fighting off sleepy eyes and adrenaline jitters while securing your house eh?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Seems it is a bad move to go "hunting" the "bad guy". In my CHL class, they tell you to hunker down and let them come to you. This way you control the situation.

Make sure the family is fine and call 911. Let the LEO come and clear the house.

K

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
    Seems it is a bad move to go "hunting" the "bad guy". In my CHL class, they tell you to hunker down and let them come to you. This way you control the situation.

Make sure the family is fine and call 911. Let the LEO come and clear the house.

K
    You have kids? Do they sleep in your room?

It sounds like the OP had it right. Secure the upstairs and place wife on guard at stairs. Wife and kids secure. As for "clearing" the house... he knew his house better then the potential BG.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

K
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    You have kids? Do they sleep in your room?

It sounds like the OP had it right. Secure the upstairs and place wife on guard at stairs. Wife and kids secure. As for "clearing" the house... he knew his house better then the potential BG.
    quite a few people dont think of this when it comes to home defense...here in florida its not uncommon to have a split floorplan..the kids rooms are on the opposite side of the house quite a way from the parents room...you have no choice but to take the walk to check on your children...

Musicman:

Why are you waiting to take out the plug? It only takes a few minutes.

Do you think your wife can reload in the middle of a gunfight faster than before it starts?

Take it out tonight.

Capt. Art

Thanks

OK -

As far as a kid making a poor choice, I know that all too well (insert stories here). However, seeing what a shotgun can do to a #5 block of ice is a demonstration I recommend to anyone thinking about teaching firearm safety to their kids or spouse. Makes quite an impression, especially if you hand them a small hammer before hand and tell them to break the block in half. It's a lesson they will NEVER forget!
    Great idea for a long lasting impression!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links