Drawing from a tuckable IWB holster

This is a discussion on Drawing from a tuckable IWB holster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning everyone, I recently purchased a High Noon Split Decision holster, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to quickly draw from it. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing from a tuckable IWB holster

Drawing from a tuckable IWB holster

Good morning everyone,

I recently purchased a High Noon Split Decision holster, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to quickly draw from it. I've got to carry it at 4:30-6:00; having the holster anywhere else causes the pistol grip to stick out and it prints badly.

Has anyone discovered a good way to quickly untuck and get your shirt out of the way of the holster?

2. Remove Ads

Practice/muscle memory (larger shirts does help)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Muscle memory is key. When I tuck my IWB (admittedly not often), the fastest draw is to cross your off hand over and pull your shirt out of its tuck, then draw with your strong side hand.

I have found that being careful with how I tuck makes this faster.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Practice, practice, and practice some more.

Gun Rights Report
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Like this demo and like CenterOfMass says practice, practice, practice!

Crossbreed Supertuck IWB Holster Demo
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Iram View Post
    Good morning everyone,

I recently purchased a High Noon Split Decision holster, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to quickly draw from it. I've got to carry it at 4:30-6:00; having the holster anywhere else causes the pistol grip to stick out and it prints badly.

Has anyone discovered a good way to quickly untuck and get your shirt out of the way of the holster?
    Welcome to the forum. The Split Decision has a forward cant that is only 15 degrees, and the recommended carry positions to wear it are 3:00 to 5:00, not more. I believe that it is extra difficult for you to draw because you are wearing the holster wrong. I have a Tail Gate, http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod...tail_gate.html, which has the same forward cant. I used to carry at 3:00-3:30; now I carry a full size BHP at about 4:30-5:00 without problems, but I twist the holster a little so it gets more forward cant, otherwise it gets a little too difficult to draw from more than 4:00 when wearing a tucked shirt. More forward makes it easier to conceal the weapon (the grips).The Split Decision might or might not work for you; only you can tell it. Unfortunately, the only way to find a holster works for you is using the try-error method. And like other people said, practice is the answer..
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I bought Hidden Ally and I either carry it at 11 or 4 depending on the situation. 11 is easy because your off hand can pull up the shirt while drawing with your strong hand. It gets a little tricky crossing over with your off hand at 4 but it just takes practice!
    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

I have been carrying my Smith snubby in a "Little Moon" tuckable Kholster (Kholster) for some time now, and adjusting the cant, as mentioned above, is critical, as is the carry position.

My carry position is 4:00 O'clock, and the cant is as radical as I can get the gun without the rear sight of the snubby impacting the holster's front belt clip during draw. This way the gun and its hand grip absolutely hugs my thin body build, and I get no printing at all, and it is much easier to draw. (I draw as mentioned above: Grab the right side of my shirt with my left hand, yank up shirt with vigor, and draw with my right hand).

-Bill
    Last edited by Will B. Droopy; March 11th, 2010 at 12:29 PM.

I have the split decision also

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Muscle memory is key. When I tuck my IWB (admittedly not often), the fastest draw is to cross your off hand over and pull your shirt out of its tuck, then draw with your strong side hand.

I have found that being careful with how I tuck makes this faster.
    This is usually the recommended method.
    I have a split decision also. I like how well it conceals however, being on the husky side and barrel chested it's a little difficult to reach my left hand far enough back to get to the tucked shirt. I also carry it at 4-5'0 clock. At 3 0'clock it causes a bump in the belt line plus rubs on the hip bone. At 4 0'clock its a little hard to get the shirt out with the left hand as I said, it's hard to reach that far around. Another disadvantage that Ayoob points out with a two handed draw is that you might need your weak side hand to fend off an attacker.

One solution I have been going to more often is an untucked shirt when possible. Then you simple hook the shirt with your strong side thumb, lift shirt and gun. When gun is clear of holster extend hand down until clear of shirt and then outward.

Practice, practice, practice.

Nice thing about the Split Decision is that it can be used tucked or untucked.

I have found drawing can be done with one hand. Pull up the shirt with the right hand, then right hand down - hooking under the shirt - then pulling the revolver. This does call for two movements, and it is a little slower, but comfort and concealability is worth it. If the left hand is free to hold the shirt up, that helps. Practice - practice.
    Steve

Good morning everyone,

What make/model firearm are you carrying in this holster and trying to draw?

Basically this is where I'm carrying. I suppose it's probably closer to 4:00-5:00 than 6:00.

The gun is a S&W 908. There doesn't seem to be a lot of holster options for this, so I'm thinking about treating myself to an M&P 9c. The fact that the holster doesn't do easy 1-handed reholstering doesn't help when it comes to practicing...spend far more time re-holstering than holstering.

(I'd like to say that's not my best side, but my face actually looks worse)

I've been tucking in my shirt since I was in 3rd grade, carrying a cellphone/PDA on my belt since I was 16, and carrying a multitool since I was 19. After all these hears, wearing an untucked shirt just feels unnatural.

I am slightly flaring my shirt out so that I've got some extra room to prevent printing (normally I don't do this when not carrying). Any idea if keeping the shirt tighter works better.

A holster with two attachment points, fore and aft of the gun, will help hold the grip tighter in towards your body, and most likely open those carry location options. It's a geometry thing. A single attachment point will inherently allow the gun to pivot more, in both axes, and the grip will rotate to wherever it naturally wants to be, which is usually sticking out like a broken rib. Two attachment points, and that sucker is locked in tight against your person.
    The trade-off is holster size. The ones with 2 attachment points are generally wider.

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    A holster with two attachment points, fore and aft of the gun, will help hold the grip tighter in towards your body, and most likely open those carry location options. It's a geometry thing. A single attachment point will inherently allow the gun to pivot more, in both axes, and the grip will rotate to wherever it naturally wants to be, which is usually sticking out like a broken rib. Two attachment points, and that sucker is locked in tight against your person.
    The trade-off is holster size. The ones with 2 attachment points are generally wider.
    This is all true. Additionally, while a holster with two attachments points is wider, they are generally flatter and more concealable. As for the firearm, yeah, that is a more rare carry gun, not a alot of holster makers build one for it. If I were you I'd call Crossbreed Holsters and ask them if they could make one for your gun. They are amazing holsters that are comfortable and meant to be worn around 4:00-5:00. They're also half kydex, so reholstering is a breeze, which is a big deal. If they don't make one for your firearm.. maybe just go with that M&P

snip

Any idea if keeping the shirt tighter works better.
    Didn't catch this question when I replied before, but the answer is probably not. When carrying IWB tucked, you want the shirt loose at the waist, "flared out" as you put it. This billowy area is what hides your weapon.

First, tuck the shirt in tight, then pull it out just a little ways, evenly all around, until you feel adequately concealed.

That's all there is to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links