CCW during youth group trip

This is a discussion on CCW during youth group trip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; take it. oh and also consider one of these little tool bags from craftsman or such. when you take it off (pref in bathroom) slip ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW during youth group trip

take it. oh and also consider one of these little tool bags from craftsman or such.
    when you take it off (pref in bathroom) slip it in the bag. carry the bag around like a toiletry bag. none the wiser. also dont tell anyone except for others who you know will be carrying. no need to make an issue or have too many knowing so you wont have to worry about letting the cat out of the bag. or too much talk making something out of nothing.

I carry at church. Pastor know and loves the fact. however at my inlaws church there is a church rule against carry on property for staff(whatever that means). it makes their security team go unarmed? anyone see a joke in here? yeah.

2. Remove Ads

Glad you are going to be carrying, especially around the young'ns! I always carry around our teens, but they don't know. Only a few of our volunteer staff know about my permit, even fewer have seen my gun.

If you think it may become an issue, don't even mention it and then just be cautious about where you put it. My suggestion: when you go to take your shower, go in the bathroom fully clothed and tuck it under your pants. I shower at night, so your mileage may vary on that one. If you shower in the morning, just keep it in the holster overnight, bundle it up with your pants that you will put on in the bathroom and walk out fully clothed.
    XDM 9mm
    Crossbreed Supertuck
    SmartCarry

Psalm 144:1 "Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle"

As a paramedic veteran who has treated many gunshot wounds (from accidents and negligence, as well as violence) and grown up in an anti-gun family, I have a few suggestions that may be helpful.

If I was going to be around children and needed my gun to be instantly accessible to me and completely inaccessible to anyone else . . . please consider these ideas:

1) A Magna-lock conversion for a S&W revolver, which only allows the person wearing magnetic rings to fire the weapon.
    2) A biometric safe that only opens to one person's fingerprints.

I've seen a biometric safe that had a lighted interior and a spring-loaded door that swings open in half of a second when a person places a fingertip on the pad.

To the best of my knowledge, a Magna-lock conversion is only applicable to a S&W K-frame (or larger) revolver. I did hear somewhere that they actually make a Magna-lock conversion for the 1911, but I also heard that it was unreliable.

Some people feel under-gunned with a revolver, and I don't know what to say about that. I know that there are a few models of S&W revolvers that fire eight shots of .357 Magnum, and there are always speedloaders.

If you practice with such a safe and such a gun, I think you can have your cake and eat it too.

I have even seen biometric briefcases that are meant to guard business-sensitive laptops that have vulnerable computer information, so maybe you can substitute this kind of a briefcase for a safe (which might be awkward to travel with). They even make these briefcases in a hard metal style that is similar to the cases that are used by professional photographers.

Also, remind people that children (again, my work experience) are often preyed on sexually and kidnapped by sick people. Children are taught to respect their elders and to do as they're told, which is fine and dandy . . . until the pervert comes out of the woodwork to take advantage of this.

The people on your trip should be happy that you're taking a gun.

All my best,

---Kevin

I carry everywhere. I am a youth pastor and i carry at church, and on trips. My gun goes where i go. I think concealed is concealed. I also would take it in the shower in a bag or even in a holster. When i am lounging around the house in sweatpants, i still wear mine, just tie it good and tight. You could do that to and from the shower.
    Jamie

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I would tell no-one, and keep the gun with me at ALL times.

COM safe is for when you are legally required to lock up, or for if you are going swimming
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Keep it very concealed...tell no one.

Stay armed...keep it discreet...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    He does not need to know about the gun. Take the gun with you and conceal it well; unless you tell him abut it he will never know that you have a gun.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'd have a COM safe, otherwise, I agree with you. With the safe you never even need to have the discussion with him.

I took a member of the local PD as a chaperone on one of our youth trips a little over a year ago (I'm the Sr High youth director-part time) and never knew he brought his weapon with him until I started carrying a few months later and asked him about it. Never saw it (revolver). Good for him for wanting to help keep us a bit safer. I'm sure not everyone at the church would feel the same way but as long as it is not against the law or the rules and you are carrying (and storing) the weapon safely, I see absolutely no issues with it.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned

I know you said this is a church member, but how well do you know this person? Are they legally barred in any way from having a gun? I know the people at church, but I don't know all the details of their lives. There could be myriad reasons for a person being disqualified; simple as a having a protective order brought by a neighbor or family member.

A convicted felon can repent and be an upstanding citizen, and church member, and still would be disqualified. If you leave a gun in the room while you're out of the room, even to shower, you could be seen as having provided access to the gun even if he doesn't touch it.

I don't take ANY chances. I even take my pistol into the bathroom when I shower at home. It hangs in the pocket of my robe at the end of the shower, within easy reach. I have to be exteremely careful because of small kids at home.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Thanks everyone for your advice. To clarify, the *only* time the gun would not be on my person would be while I was in the morning shower. Carrying it in and out of the bathroom with my clothes may be a hassle, I'll probably opt for the COM safe and keep it in my suitcase. That was it's at least locked up for the 10 minutes or so I'm not around.

ETA:
    I haven't know the person a long time, but I'm pretty sure he has no felony convictions are anything like that since he's been background checked.

evo
    I wouldn't tell him unless you KNOW he's pro-gun.
    I would keep the gun close to me ALL THE TIME.
    And I would take a safe for when you legally can't carry.
    Don't get yourself in trouble. It's a very good point that this guy may not be allowed around guns.
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

I would hope that like JK says, that because of the background check, the gun around the guy should be a non issue, I go on youth group trips as well, and here in Michigan it is against the law to carry in a church without the pastors, or boards permission, soI carry a small safe with me, and lock it up when I don't have it on me. I also tell NO ONE...
    by the way JK, my father in law has the same name as you. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    Thanks everyone for your advice. To clarify, the *only* time the gun would not be on my person would be while I was in the morning shower. Carrying it in and out of the bathroom with my clothes may be a hassle, I'll probably opt for the COM safe and keep it in my suitcase. That was it's at least locked up for the 10 minutes or so I'm not around.

ETA:
    I haven't know the person a long time, but I'm pretty sure he has no felony convictions are anything like that since he's been background checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Horse View Post
    As a paramedic veteran who has treated many gunshot wounds (from accidents and negligence, as well as violence) and grown up in an anti-gun family, I have a few suggestions that may be helpful.

If I was going to be around children and needed my gun to be instantly accessible to me and completely inaccessible to anyone else . . . please consider these ideas:

1) A Magna-lock conversion for a S&W revolver, which only allows the person wearing magnetic rings to fire the weapon.

To the best of my knowledge, a Magna-lock conversion is only applicable to a S&W K-frame (or larger) revolver. I did hear somewhere that they actually make a Magna-lock conversion for the 1911, but I also heard that it was unreliable.
    With all due respect...there is no way I would put an aftermarket "safety feature" on my firearm..."for the children"...the only way a firearm is going to stay safe is in my holster....after that, it would be in a safe. The only time the gun is going to be out of the holster is when the gun is in my hand...

Until I start seeing the military and law enforcement use these "safety devices", they are going to stay off of mine...and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would say that if he is possibly anti, then he probably doesn't want to be left alone with it because it might go off and shoot something. So he will probably be happy if you keep it with you in the bathroom.
    Walk softly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links