CCW during youth group trip

This is a discussion on CCW during youth group trip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is this really an issue? Carry your firearm when you need to and have it secured when your in the shower. This is no different ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CCW during youth group trip

Is this really an issue? Carry your firearm when you need to and have it secured when your in the shower. This is no different then any other time.
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

2. Remove Ads

I had to do this sort of thing with mostly antis around. I just kept it concealed the whole time, even wore it while sleeping (not too uncomfortable), and they never had a clue.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    With all due respect...there is no way I would put an aftermarket "safety feature" on my firearm..."for the children"...the only way a firearm is going to stay safe is in my holster....after that, it would be in a safe. The only time the gun is going to be out of the holster is when the gun is in my hand...

Until I start seeing the military and law enforcement use these "safety devices", they are going to stay off of mine...and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
    I understand your points and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I was only suggesting ideas.

Mas Ayoob is a very big fan of the Magna-lock concept, and claims to own several guns with them installed. He specifically said that he would retire his other guns to the safe and only use his magna-lock equipped guns because he expects to have grandchildren around his home in the near future.

He wrote as much in the 4th edition of Combat Handgunnery, and, since it was Ayoob, I thought the idea was at least worth mentioning.

All my best,

---Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    I had considered taking the gun into the bathroom, but felt it would be insulting to the other guy... sort of a "don't you trust me?" sort of thing.
    Would you rather that he trust you, or that he has an AD?

I suggest that you have a reasonable discussion with him ahead of time and if he seems antsy about it, find someone else to room with you.

If you are stuck with him, hold to your principles, be polite, but take the gun into the bathroom (without making any mention of it).

Capt. Art

I should add I have to work pretty closely with this guy at other times. I may take a COM safe into the room at lock it up.
    I only read a few post up to this point and I would concur with the majority and add; if he's insulted by the owner of the deadly weapon protecting everyone by maintaining control over it, that truly is his problem. If you left it in his control and something went wrong, I believe you could still be liable in some way. I also agree that you should have it on your person at all times and while in the shower it should be in the same room with you. Having it locked away in COM safe will do ya no good in the event of an assault. The only time I'd lock it away is if we're going someplace where CC was off limits. But you'll need to decide if your comfort level for defense is in the same range as mine and some of the others. IMO, while traveling, I always bring my defense level up a notch. I'd say if I was a BG looking for a target, the traveler appears to be an easy mark.

Have a safe trip!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I would tell no-one, and keep the gun with me at ALL times.

COM safe is for when you are legally required to lock up, or for if you are going swimming
    +1. No need or obligation to say a word about it, and just keep it concealed at all times.

I'm going with a group of guys from the Country Club on a golf trip to Pinehurst. Many of the guys know I carry because of the Virginia Tuck rule (OC in a place that serves alcohol, i.e. tucking your shirt behind your IWB or OWB when you enter). In NC, you can't carry in a place that serves alcohol, period. I intend to carry on my trip and say nothing to any of the other folks, but I will have to contend with cable locking my CCW to a seat frame if we go to eat at a place that serves alcohol (if aware of where we are going ahead of time, I will lock it in the room). There's one of the guys I'm sure will ask me if I'm packing heat, and my answer will be, "The world may never know."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The only time I won't be carrying is while in the shower. I've decided to take along my COM safe and keep it locked up during the 10 mins I'm in the bathroom. If he sees my putting it away or something, I'll explain what I'm doing and why. If not... no harm no foul. If anything interesting happens I'll post here.

Thanks again everyone for your advice, it's much appreciated. I keep watching this thread in case anyone has something to add.

I believe that my gun should be under my control at all times possible.
    Ever been to a church youth retreat? Lotta pranks happen there. (At least the ones I went on.)
    I would personally keep the gun on my person 24/7 except for the shower, then it is still with me, in the locked shower room with my clothes covering it.
    I have slept with my gun under my pillow before, but then I don't toss or turn while I sleep either. The only other person allowed under my pillow is the tooth-ferry, and he is the one who put the gun there in the first place.

I figure that NOBODY needs to know you are carrying. If word gets out and one of the children's parents be an Anti, well the fecal matter will hit the rotary oscillator all right.

My advice is to keep it concealed all the time.

But that's just me.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I had considered taking the gun into the bathroom, but felt it would be insulting to the other guy... sort of a "don't you trust me?" sort of thing.
    maybe its just me, but i was always told you dont leave your guns around anybody no matter how long or good you know the person or people. If they find it insulting then oh well. Better safe than sorry.
    XD 9 sc
    Ruger p95

Whats a COM safe?
    XD 9 sc
    Ruger p95

Center of Mass safe:
    Center Of Mass Central

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I just faced this issue at a recent men's retreat. Roomed with two other guys. I just had it with me at all times. I took it in the bathroom with me--no problems.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Youth Minster here. I would welcome this. Concealed means concealed. If you, God forbid, need to use it to protect a youths life, I don;t see the parents comlaining. I encourage adult chaperones that I ASK TO GO ON TRIPS to carry if they are legal and so desire. I do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links