CCW during youth group trip

This is a discussion on CCW during youth group trip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I CCW always, anywhere it is legal, and have been for some time now. I am assigned to go on a church youth group trip, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW during youth group trip

I CCW always, anywhere it is legal, and have been for some time now. I am assigned to go on a church youth group trip, and will be sharing a room with one of the other adult group leaders.

It is legal to CCW any place we will be going, and as far as I know there are no rules of the church that prohibit taking along firearms. In fact some of the other group leaders have their CCW permits, though I do not know if they will carry or not.

My problem is that the adult I will be rooming with may be slightly anti-gun, or at least ambivalent. My plan is to keep the gun in the nightstand drawer while asleep at night, and while I shower but wear at at all times while dressed. I intend to make him aware that I CCW since I don't want him to come across the gun while I'm in the shower or something, nor do I want to appear to be hiding it from him. He's in his 30's or 40's so not like a younger adult who may be tempted to mess with the gun.

Has anyone come across this problem before and do you have any suggestions?

Good thinking being prepared. I would keep the gun on you at all times, when you take a shower take it in the bathroom with you. This is the only way you can ensure that the gun will be safe from others. Good luck on your trip.

I had considered taking the gun into the bathroom, but felt it would be insulting to the other guy... sort of a "don't you trust me?" sort of thing.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly View Post
    I had considered taking the gun into the bathroom, but felt it would be insulting to the other guy... sort of a "don't you trust me?" sort of thing.
    I'd take it with me. If he is insulted, so be it, you are the one familar with it, if you need to use it, better in the same room with you.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Who cares about him thinking you don't trust him. It is your gun,therefore you are responsible for it. He should be adult enough to understand this. If he isn't then explain it to him in a way he can understand. Bottom line, you are responsible for your fire arm. I would be more concerned about this aspect than whether or not the other guy feels like you don't trust him. Perhaps he will understand you are just being responsible.

+2 Take it with you. I don't think that would be insulting at all.

I have to second the others on taking into the bathroom with you.
    1. Who cares if he's insulted. If he is, he's got other issues to be addressed.
    2. Whether or not he becomes "insulted" depends on whether or not he or she knows about said firearm. Who says he has to know about it?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I have to second the others on taking into the bathroom with you.
    1. Who cares if he's insulted. If he is, he's got other issues to be addressed.
    2. Whether or not he becomes "insulted" depends on whether or not he or she knows about said firearm. Who says he has to know about it?
    maybe he is just another that needs to be educated. If he is insulted than that is his problem

I should add I have to work pretty closely with this guy at other times. I may take a COM safe into the room at lock it up.

So work closely with him and carry your gun everywhere you go. He probably wont even notice and if he does so be it. You know why you are bringing your gun along, and that is what you should stay focused on. He will react how he will react. Carry and stay safe.

VIP Member
    Posts so far seem reasonable; however, the kids parents are of issue here as well of what will you do if plans change or someplace that was legal to carry in is now not. You going on a bus, can't leave it there.

Don't make a big thing out of it. If you don't make an issue of it, chances are he won't. Don't try to hide it, but don't be obvious. Just go about your business and if he sees the gun, tell him you take the job of protecting yourself and the kids seriously. I do several youth group trips a year and always have a weapon either on me or in my luggage for the times when carrying is inappropriate or illegal.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Wow. I've been in this situation several times (not with a youth group, but spending a weekend with a co-worker at conferences). The co-worker was not aware I was CC'ing (although he does know I can). I never told him I had it. Gun goes on the floor by my bed. It goes in my bag and into the bathroom when I shower.

I didn't feel a need to let him know I have it -- I'm in control of it at all times -- it's concealed at all times.

I've carried while staying in a "bunkhouse" room with half-a-dozen other guys (that were unaware). Gun either goes on the floor or holstered under the tucked-in covers at the side of the bed. I didn't really even think about it (well.. yeah.. I thought about it, but never thought it was a big deal).

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I agree with the sentiment that you ought not make a huge deal out of it. At the same time, if you'd prefer not to keep it to yourself I would be proactive and just mention it on the first night as you're bunking down. Don't make an issue of it, just mention it as a courtesy.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

If you feel the need to leave the gun out of your presence, i'd get one of those little car size / travel gun safes. But thats just me.
    If it is a private bathroom not dorm style shower setup then I'd just always take it with me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links