Toy Guns

Toy Guns

This is a discussion on Toy Guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know if this is the best forum for this but it needs to be brought to attention: http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/ne...eRrqgIQaA.cspx ATF seizes 30 toy guns, ...

Thread: Toy Guns

Toy Guns

I don't know if this is the best forum for this but it needs to be brought to attention:

http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/ne...eRrqgIQaA.cspx

ATF seizes 30 toy guns, infuriating local business owner

KOIN - Channel 6 News

Last Update: 2/26 6:03 pm

CORNELIUS, Ore. - A local business owner is flabbergasted after a shipment of 30 toy guns for his store was confiscated by ATF agents in Tacoma.

Brad Martin and his son, Ben, sell the Airsoft BB guns from their store in Cornelius where they’ve been in business for seven years.

The Martins said they buy their stock from Taiwan because the merchandise is less expensive. But the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives seized a shipment of 30 in October. That shipment is worth around $12,000 and the ATF is promising to destroy the entire shipment.

Special Agent Kelvin Crenshaw said the toys can be easily retro-fitted into dangerous weapons.

"With minimal work it could be converted to a machine gun," Crenshaw said.

Brad Martin is furious about the loss of money, for sure, but also in what he now thinks as a loss of his time and the use of government agents to seize toy guns.

"All this manpower, all this time, all this taxpayer money, [it is] wasting my time and my profitability,” Martin said. “[Just] to seize 30 toy guns!"

Ben Martin disagrees that the toy guns could ever be considered dangerous.

"To say these are readily convertible to machine guns is absolutely preposterous,” he said. “The round wouldn't go into the firing chamber and even if the firing pin did strike the primer the gun would basically blow up in your face.”

ATF said it also seized the toys because they are missing the blaze orange tips required on all imported toy guns.

The Martins said they've received shipments before from Taiwan that were missing the orange tips and were simply asked by customs agents to drive up to Tacoma and paint the tips orange themselves. They are wondering why it is an issue now.

Seen this before, apparently the 'lowers' of these AR style airsofts are very, very close to the real deal. Close enough to maybe even use in place of the real deal, ending up with an unmarked, un-serialed AR when using a real upper.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Seen this before, apparently the 'lowers' of these AR style airsofts are very, very close to the real deal. Close enough to maybe even use in place of the real deal, ending up with an unmarked, un-serialed AR when using a real upper.
    False, an airsoft replica cannot in any way shape or form be turned into a functioning firearm. The lower of an AR style airsoft gun may look very similar externally but internally it has nothing in common. You could rip out all the guts, but real steal parts would not fit inside properly. The configuration is completely different.

There are people who take a Ruger 10/22 receiver and place it inside a airsoft body, but that is merely a cosmetic change on the part of the 10/22.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    False, an airsoft replica cannot in any way shape or form be turned into a functioning firearm. The lower of an AR style airsoft gun may look very similar externally but internally it has nothing in common. You could rip out all the guts, but real steal parts would not fit inside properly. The configuration is completely different.

I think your statement is a little too general. We're not talking about any 'airsoft replica', we are talking about these specific pieces. Which you have not inspected and about which you know nothing at all.

Until you and I inspect these ourselves, I will give the BATFE the benefit of doubt. I suspect they know a great deal more about this subject than you do. I also suspect they will not just chase toy guns around for no reason.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    As a airsoft player, those can look almost identical on the outside. But trust me after seeing the guts of just about every brand out there there is no way any part other then a sling or some other accessory like that could be used on a real firearm. As to making a airsoft toy into a firearm....only if you wish much pain and like playing russian revolver games. Plus if you have the skill the make a airsoft toy into a firearm you arn't going to do it, self preservation instinct would kick in...
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Links