Heading from Michigan to upstate New York...

This is a discussion on Heading from Michigan to upstate New York... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fortunately, this is not a permanent thing. A few weeks, month total max. (work related). Okay, I know my Michigan CPL is worthless there (as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading from Michigan to upstate New York...

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar

Fortunately, this is not a permanent thing. A few weeks, month total max. (work related).

Okay, I know my Michigan CPL is worthless there (as are all other State's licenses/permits). My question is, if I'm reading correctly, I am not legally able to even take a handgun to keep in my dwelling (a hotel) for protection while there?

From what I can see, it's not legal to possess a handgun there unless the owner is licensed by New York State, is that correct?

Not sure how the East, once a bastion of Freedom and birthplace of the American Revolution (which was in fact begun over attempted gun confiscation being the last straw) became the foul Freedom hating place it has become (in many parts anyway, notable exception being Vermont).

Anyway, am I correct? No handguns allowed at all?
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container. (http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm)

Other than that, no handguns in NYS, unfortunately.

I would think you could take a long gun (shot gun )

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible.

NRA-ILA ::

you cannot carry to protect yourself but you are allowed by federal law to transport unloaded and in a non-useable location.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible.
    You may NOT possess a handgun in NY State without a NYS permit...Unless as mentioned before to participate in a sanctioned event..

bosco

no law abiding fire arms ? only criminals are packing. How nice. I believe I can stay clear of NEW YORK.

mcclure-volkmer has you covered up to the part that you have an extended stop for something other than gas or an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by spar10 View Post
    mcclure-volkmer has you covered up to the part that you have an extended stop for something other than gas or an emergency.
    Actually it doesn't unfortunately. The destination comes into play. If it's not legal to possess at the destination, that is no good. VM is for transporting through areas where prohibited (eg: Chicago or NYC), not into prohibited areas (eg: this example, NY State).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

since the destination for the op is new york, he has no way to achieve what he's trying to do.

mcclure-volkmer is an ammendment to the gun control act that allows for easier interstate transport of firearms. i'm not trying to be argumentative but if the weapons are unloaded and stored outside of the drivers compartment and the ammunition is seperate you can travel with the firearms as long as you are passing through a restrictive state like n.y. this means you can stop to get gas, change a flat tire etc. but as soon as you pull into aunt betty's driveway for lunch, all bets are off and you are at the mercy of state law. you have to be passing through the restrictive state with the guns stored properly.
    Last edited by spar10; March 14th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.

You need a New York handgun license to possess a handgun in New York. If you are a resident of New York you can have a New York handgun license.

T bone , where in in n.y.s. will you be?
    Always be alert and aware!!!

I finally escaped that cesspool gulag six months ago...should have done it 40 years ago. It's a shame because the geography is outstanding.

I have to go back in May to retrieve my '77 Harley shovelhead and dread it. I am licensed to carry concealed in 33 states...NY is not one of them (that's a story in itself). I am making a run up to Yellowstone with a friend from Germany, then across the plains to Kansas City, before making the final leg of the run into NY.

I always carry when I go out my front door, either open or concealed as allowed here in NM. I carry a CZ 75 P-01 (decocked with one in the pipe) and two extra 14rd mags and either a fully charged Mossberg 500A or a Zastava M70 AB2 underfolder in the truck. Life circumstance experiences (with some residual scars obtained in rural NYS) of the not so distant past drive that decision...and I am determined that it won't go down again in the same way, if the SHTF.

So, that is how I am traveling back to the cesspool gulag in May. Except for IA and IL, I'm legit until I hit NYS. Thank God I have a sis in SE PA (near Shanksville) to lay up with before heading into the friggin' gulag (and just 30 miles north of the PA border at that). I just talked with her today and all is cool for me to stash the AK & sidearm at her digs in the hills, for me to make the run to get my bike, say howdy to the kids still stuck there, then get the hell back out. (Christ, it's beginning to feel like a covert SpecOp mission...Sheesh! But that is how it is.) The least amount of time spent in the gulag the better. I can make the run with only my Mossberg, but have to drop off the Knox tactical stock and put the pistol-grip back on to be legal and empty the rounds out of the tube to stay legit.

- NYS does not honor any other state's handgun licenses...period!
    - It doesn't give out non-resident permits.
    - Even if you are a resident, unless you have a very difficult to obtain permit (difficult unless you are politically connected, by blood, money or favor) a person is not even allowed to handle (hold in their hand) a handgun in a gun store.
    - getting caught with a handgun and no NYS permit can get you 7 years for felony possession.
    - Even if you are a resident with an unrestricted handgun permit, NEVER EVER even drive through NYC to get to the other side...getting caught is immediate trip to jail and years of hell. (Yet NYC permit holders...like the gun-grabbing Sen. Chucky Schumer...can carry all over the state, but no reciprocity for "upstaters"...go figure...I guess he might think someone may try to cap him for being such a gun-grabbing SOB.).
    - Magazines holding more than 10 rounds are absolutely verboten for handguns and long-guns, unless they are stamped with a pre-ban date.
    - The assault-weapon ban did not "sunset" in NYS and the law specifically names many prohibited firearms, regardless of how they may be setup and features allowed or not allowed. (Absolutely no AK variants, no FN's, Mitchells, UZi's etc.)

For the "whole hog", until the end of the next legislative session, check out NY's draconian gun laws at: Firearm Laws for New York

- As mentioned above, if you have a handgun while traveling through NY, keep it locked in your trunk, in a opaque locked case, with ammo in a separate locked box...then get in and out of the state ASAP (no lingering, site-seeing or visits with an old college roomy on the way through)...have your eyes in the back of your head & where the "sun don't shine", obey ALL the traffic speeds and laws, and pray you don't get stopped in the regular and frequent traffic inspection/DWI sweep stops of all vehicles in both directions on the highways, back-roads, and select municipalities (best to keep to the interstates if possible.) NYS IS a POLICE STATE (especially since 9/11)!!! When you cross the border keep your eyes scanning the trees...LEO's in all flavors have been know to jump out of them to grab the unsuspecting. Locals are favorite prey along with out-of-state BMW's, etc. You can get stopped for anything, including having an ugly mother, cause the system allows the LEO's wide latitude in "probable cause" searches...and they love to "go fishing".

Also: No Castle Doctrine or Stand-Your-Ground provisions. Even if you are legitimately armed, you must run away and call 911 (and likely kiss your arse goodbye if you obey the laws). This applies to home invasions, carjackings, robberies, muggings, rapes...whatever.

However, I can tell you that the rural country folk won't hesitate for a NY minute to make swiss cheese out of any rabid chuckleheads that think the local Northern Appalachian "woodchucks" are stupid and easy pickin's...especially if they smell of NYC, Boston or metroplex-whatever.

So good luck. NYS is huge and absolutely beautiful by-in-large, but the cities are dirty and the politics on both sides of the aisle are corrupt as they come and it's a total fascist police state largely driven by the NYC/Long Island machine.

BTW: mace & pepper spray is legal, as is a big crescent-wrench or "tire-thumper" and a roll of dimes...but not much help when mostly the LEO's and bad-guys are the only one's with firepower on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    I would think you could take a long gun (shot gun )
    Nope. Must have a driver's license issued by the state of NY.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Quote Originally Posted by mkuisi8mo View Post
    I finally escaped that cesspool gulag six months ago...should have done it 40 years ago. It's a shame because the geography is outstanding.

I have to go back in May to retrieve my '77 Harley shovelhead and dread it. I am licensed to carry concealed in 33 states...NY is not one of them (that's a story in itself). I am making a run up to Yellowstone with a friend from Germany, then across the plains to Kansas City, before making the final leg of the run into NY.

I always carry when I go out my front door, either open or concealed as allowed here in NM. I carry a CZ 75 P-01 (decocked with one in the pipe) and two extra 14rd mags and either a fully charged Mossberg 500A or a Zastava M70 AB2 underfolder in the truck. Life circumstance experiences (with some residual scars obtained in rural NYS) of the not so distant past drive that decision...and I am determined that it won't go down again in the same way, if the SHTF.

So, that is how I am traveling back to the cesspool gulag in May. Except for IA and IL, I'm legit until I hit NYS. Thank God I have a sis in SE PA (near Shanksville) to lay up with before heading into the friggin' gulag (and just 30 miles north of the PA border at that). I just talked with her today and all is cool for me to stash the AK & sidearm at her digs in the hills, for me to make the run to get my bike, say howdy to the kids still stuck there, then get the hell back out. (Christ, it's beginning to feel like a covert SpecOp mission...Sheesh! But that is how it is.) The least amount of time spent in the gulag the better. I can make the run with only my Mossberg, but have to drop off the Knox tactical stock and put the pistol-grip back on to be legal and empty the rounds out of the tube to stay legit.

- NYS does not honor any other state's handgun licenses...period!
    - It doesn't give out non-resident permits.
    - Even if you are a resident, unless you have a very difficult to obtain permit (difficult unless you are politically connected, by blood, money or favor) a person is not even allowed to handle (hold in their hand) a handgun in a gun store.
    - getting caught with a handgun and no NYS permit can get you 7 years for felony possession.
    - Even if you are a resident with an unrestricted handgun permit, NEVER EVER even drive through NYC to get to the other side...getting caught is immediate trip to jail and years of hell. (Yet NYC permit holders...like the gun-grabbing Sen. Chucky Schumer...can carry all over the state, but no reciprocity for "upstaters"...go figure...I guess he might think someone may try to cap him for being such a gun-grabbing SOB.).
    - Magazines holding more than 10 rounds are absolutely verboten for handguns and long-guns, unless they are stamped with a pre-ban date.
    - The assault-weapon ban did not "sunset" in NYS and the law specifically names many prohibited firearms, regardless of how they may be setup and features allowed or not allowed. (Absolutely no AK variants, no FN's, Mitchells, UZi's etc.)

For the "whole hog", until the end of the next legislative session, check out NY's draconian gun laws at: Firearm Laws for New York

- As mentioned above, if you have a handgun while traveling through NY, keep it locked in your trunk, in a opaque locked case, with ammo in a separate locked box...then get in and out of the state ASAP (no lingering, site-seeing or visits with an old college roomy on the way through)...have your eyes in the back of your head & where the "sun don't shine", obey ALL the traffic speeds and laws, and pray you don't get stopped in the regular and frequent traffic inspection/DWI sweep stops of all vehicles in both directions on the highways, back-roads, and select municipalities (best to keep to the interstates if possible.) NYS IS a POLICE STATE (especially since 9/11)!!! When you cross the border keep your eyes scanning the trees...LEO's in all flavors have been know to jump out of them to grab the unsuspecting. Locals are favorite prey along with out-of-state BMW's, etc. You can get stopped for anything, including having an ugly mother, cause the system allows the LEO's wide latitude in "probable cause" searches...and they love to "go fishing".

Also: No Castle Doctrine or Stand-Your-Ground provisions. Even if you are legitimately armed, you must run away and call 911 (and likely kiss your arse goodbye if you obey the laws). This applies to home invasions, carjackings, robberies, muggings, rapes...whatever.

However, I can tell you that the rural country folk won't hesitate for a NY minute to make swiss cheese out of any rabid chuckleheads that think the local Northern Appalachian "woodchucks" are stupid and easy pickin's...especially if they smell of NYC, Boston or metroplex-whatever.

So good luck. NYS is huge and absolutely beautiful by-in-large, but the cities are dirty and the politics on both sides of the aisle are corrupt as they come and it's a total fascist police state largely driven by the NYC/Long Island machine.

BTW: mace & pepper spray is legal, as is a big crescent-wrench or "tire-thumper" and a roll of dimes...but not much help when mostly the LEO's and bad-guys are the only one's with firepower on the streets.
    That pretty much covers it. It's so bad here, Some numbskull in NYC is trying to get Salt banned in Restaurants.

The Political scene here is getting so bad, I think we may change the name of the capital to "Little Chicago"
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Thanks guys. Was planning for no firearms at all, then started thinking about the 870. But Billy Ng seems to have answered that one too (I'll double check, but figured they'd have a way to prohibit that too).
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng
    Nope. Must have a driver's license issued by the state of NY.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilts View Post
    T bone , where in in n.y.s. will you be?
    I'll be in Oswego. Working at the Nuke plant for a time, only a few weeks. I'm sure I'll be fine, I'm accustomed to Detroit and surrounding environs, and handle myself in a manner as to stay away from trouble for the most part (carrying on and off 30 years here, and have come semi close to drawing only twice, both times in the 1980's, both times in situations I am no longer subject too and circumstances I can now easily avoid).
    Regards, T Bone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links