Defensive Carry banner

First CCW experience

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  evo 
#1 ·
Aside from a run into the grocery store, last night was my first time carrying. Here's a brief rundown.

My daughter was spending the night at her cousins so the wife wanted to go out. I put on my gun, a long T-shirt, and my big comfy Carhart hoodie and off we went.

1st stop was Rancho Grande for some chicken enchaladas (MMMMMMM). It was pretty busy and all they had open was a table and no booth, so I felt a little exposed. Everyone was watching KU vs. K State though so I probably could have OC'd anM-60 and no one would have seen it.

Stop #2 was the movies. There was a police officer at the door which kinda gave me a start (don't know why), but there were no gun busters that I saw. After we went in the wife had to use the facilities, and while I was waiting, a guy walked up close to me. I was thinking *** and very discretely checked to see if I was "showing". Then I realized I was standing in front of a poster and the guy was just reading it, and I was not showing. We hit the concessions for a coke, M&M's, and Reeces Pieces and sat down to watch "Dear John" (not too bad). As we left, I was MUCH more at ease (but kept my SA) when walking through the huge parking lot in the dark, than when I was un-armed.

Then I ran into QT for a pepsi for wify! By this time I am getting much more comfortable that no one knows my secret.

Then we stopped at wally world. The wife and I strolled arround and decided to get a copy of "Zombie Land". We almost witnessed a cat fight between a pretty teenage girl that was there with her B/F, and some overwight teenage girl dressed in black with a bunch of scuzzy looking friends. Then we checked out and left.

After we got home I asked my wife if she noticed anything and she said no. I grinned and lifted my sweatshirt. :image035:

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats! The self-consciousness will gradually wear off.

Congrats! At first, you'll be sure everyone can see the outline of
your weapon and that every movement flashes it. You will KNOW everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!" The more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt combo, you will hardly notice it. You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts. You will lean to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact, if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to. You will gradually stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place. You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side, and to reach overhead with your weak-side hand. You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend. You will learn to move through crowds with your strong
side to the rear. You will learn to reach poverhead with your weak hand. You will learn to give a little added clearance to your strong side. In short, you will learn.

#3 ·
Boy, I'm jealous, I live in the state of "TOO MANY RULES" and regulations, the "NOT SO GREAT" state of Illinois......... I wish we would pass a concealed carry law. How much do you have to go through to actually get a concealed carry permit in your state ?

#7 ·
How much do you have to go through to actually get a concealed carry permit in your state ?
In SC, it's not hard. There is a state-mandated course that covers handgun safety, where and when you can carry and shoot, and a practical shooting test. The whole thing takes about 8-10 hours. There is a written test at the end, and the practical shooting test. You must score a minimum 70% on both parts. The shooting test is 50 rounds to a B-27 target from various ranges from 3 - 15 yards. Any hit "in the black" counts. Actual scores are not required. You may use any carriable weapon to qualify. If you can't pass either test with a much higher score than 70%, you don't need to be carrying. Costs for the course range from $50-$150 (all are private instructors, so the fee varies), and the application for the license is $50 to the state. You assemble a package which includes your test scores, the application, a picture, fingerprints, and the money and send it to SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division). The pictures and fingerprints are usually included and done during the course. SLED is the only approval agency. Local LEOs aren't involved. If you're approved, you get your license in the return mail in less than 90 days (mandated by state law), SC is a "shall issue" state which means unless they find a solid legal reason (by state gun statutes) to deny you, they MUST issue the permit.

#8 ·
:congrats: you did a good job. I felt ya. When I started CCW for the first time. I was nervous. I had to pretend that I look down to my shoe instead of looking at my right hip to make sure it was not showing:hand5:

What did your wife said when you showed her end of the day ?

Stay safe and armed.

#10 ·
When I started carrying little .25ACP Bearcat in 1996 I was very nervous, feeling that I was either printing or flashing. Then I calmed down.

But then I started carrying a bigger gun a few years later, a S&W .38 snubby, and I was very nervous, feeling that I was either printing or flashing. Then I calmed down.

Now, as of a few days ago, I started carrying a bigger gun, my Colt Python 4", and I am now very nervous again, feeling that I am either printing or flashing. But I'll calm down eventually (I think).

That is, until I someday start carrying a 4.5 pound Dessert Eagle in .50AE, and the entire worry cycle begins anew ;-)

[PS: I've learned a lot about CCW since 1996, though, and have found that successful concealment is in the proper holster/belt selection (IWB, FBI cant, dual clips/loops [clips/loops that are *tight* to your stiff belt!!]); proper carry location (4 o'clock, waist); the color/fit of your cloths (loose shirt with pattern/stripes, dark); and the rest is in your 'tude [i.e., just act/look like a regular Joe…].

-Bill

#11 ·
In MO you take an 8hr class covering CC and self defense law, and firearms safety, then you practice 50 rds and shoot 20 for qualification. There is no written test. Then you take that info to the county sheriff and they print you and do a background check. When everything comes back you take that info to the DMV and they put an endorsement on your DL or state ID. Fees vary by county. Mine was $83.25. Pretty easy.

Fireair, She just asked if I had had it on all night. I said yes and she just said hmm.

Bill, I was packing a full size 24/7 OWB. There aren't many guns that are much larger that would still make a practical carry gun. I do have an M-tac in the mail which should make things much easier

#15 ·
What Fun!
Now your wife will want her permit, and the next thing ya know you'll be buying her guns, ammo, holsters, and a whole new CC wardrobe.

Yea, now the fun begins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.