How to reveal CCW to girlfriend ?

This is a discussion on How to reveal CCW to girlfriend ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got done reading the other thread about How does the significant other feel about CCW, and I have had a question fort some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to reveal CCW to girlfriend ?

I just got done reading the other thread about How does the significant other feel about CCW, and I have had a question fort some time now that made me think of it again. I have currently went through a divorce and am starting to date again after many years. I have just recently started to carry around the home as KS does not have CCW yet, but should have PA next week to carry in MO and hopefully in KS starting on July 1st. Anyways, my question is this, to those that have dated, when do you tell your girlfriend, that you CCW ?? What if this girlfriend may not be the one you want to marry, do you still tell her ?? Would you really go naked (no gun) just to not frighten the new girlfriend on the first date ?? Do you bring this up before you even start to date and possibly letting this coveted info out in the open ?? Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by kansas_shooter; May 29th, 2006 at 09:33 PM.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

I would not tell her unless you are very serious about her and she about you. I would say after a year. Just my 2cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

BlueLion, thanks for the reply. But, a year !! That may be kinda hard to do with the proximity of us two. I mean, I guess IF I tried REALLY hard, I may be able to keep her from seeing it or brushing up against it or running her hand over of it (maybe, almost impossible).
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

Me if I was single i'd just feel her out about how she feels about guns in general. With me i'd carry no matter what she thought. Living in AZ what few times i've gone to an indoor range more then once i've seen as many woman shooting as guys. Lots of the women come in theirself. Guess it depends on the part of the country you live in how people in general feel about CCW.

DC Founder
    I'd make no effort to hide it. It's a part of who you are and it will be a factor the both of you use to decide whether your relationship should go further. Good luck with whatever you decide....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

When I was dating I would tell them just in casual conversation. I think this is a good choice just in case you have to use it in front of them.

Great ideas. Thanks
    One shot. One kill.

I second Bumpers reply
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Lead Moderator
    i would not hesitate to mention I shoot and like guns, if it went to a semi serious relationship, I would mention I carry. In fact that is what I did w/ my current girlfriend. wasn't a big deal, if it was , she wouldn't be dating me anymore.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I think one should observe a kind of cool-down period and wait a month or two before you think about telling them. Untill then I would recommend pocket carry of a mouse gun. This is especially convenient if for some reason you have to take off your pants :D. other than that just kind of ease them into it, take em' shooting, introduce them to the fact that you like guns, that will spark a conversation sooner or later that will let you know where you stand.
    I've been dating my current girlfriend for a couple years now and she's been talking about getting a permit herself, both of her parents are anti hippy types. It just took being around someone that was responsible and safe to make her realize that a firearm is just another innanimate tool.

blueyedevil has a vaild point. If they don't know anything about guns see if they will go shooting with you. My wife, two sister-in-laws and her cousins did not like guns when I first started coming around. I offered to take them shooting with me. My wife now will not leave the house without her CCW and two out of three cousins have guns now but do not carry all the time due to being in college. My sister-in-laws go shooting with us but do not want to own a gun as of yet. But hey at least they are shooting them willingly right.

Wierd way to Find Out

Was debating the concept some 25 years ago when I was dating the current Mrs. Situation came up where I had to pull. To this day I am not sure who was faster Me or Her!! Needless to say the following discussion was interesting.

Think the same situation came up a while back in the Day By Day comic strip by Chris Muir.
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Shooting Range

Take her shooting and when done return your weapon to your cc holster, conversation will follow.
    It is on your mind so take care of it

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Go thru your very best "why you carry" speech. Decide how much you care for her by her response to your speech. Also how much she cares for you.

If her responses are worth further explaniation on your part,go for it,if not,dump her and move on to the next potential "target". --------

Awesome. Thanks.
    One shot. One kill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links