No More Safety For Me - Page 2

No More Safety For Me

This is a discussion on No More Safety For Me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Treo If you want to carry a weapon W/out a safety get a weapon designed to be carried as such. Walking aroung ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No More Safety For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If you want to carry a weapon W/out a safety get a weapon designed to be carried as such. Walking aroung W/ a SA weapon in condition zero is an ND waiting for a place to happen.

That said, I take no issue W/ carrying a DA/ SA in DA mode W/out the safety
    Normally I would agree with you but we are talking about a SA weapon with almost half a inch of take up.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Originally posted by Rollo Normally I would agree with you but we are talking about a SA weapon with almost half a inch of take up.
    You're grown but I think you're making a biiiiig mistake that will come back to bite you

I hear what you are saying...this is why I started carrying a SIG.

However, when I was deployed, and on a convoy, I carried my weapon loaded, safety off (hammer forward). Why? The M9 is a little oversized for my hands to sweep the safety and engage...it was a risk I was willing to take, based on the immediate threat.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You're grown but I think you're making a biiiiig mistake that will come back to bite you
    I have to admit that I am quite suprised by the amount of hesatation that has been displayed which is making me rethink my idea. I am however curious as to the reasoning behind the hesatation. A pt145 actually has a longer trigger pull then a 3rd gen glock. Now granted it is ligter when it reaches the breaking point but is about the same breaking weight as a glock. Is it that the trigger pull isnt as heavy through the pull that has people worried?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I think when you start to rationalize your way around a safety device, it's time to get a new gun!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I've never handled a pt145, so I can't speak for that particular weapon.

However, I often carry my 3rd Gen DA/SA Smiths with the safety off. I see no difference with those guns than with carrying a revolver with no safety. The DA trigger pull on my Smiths are similar to my revolver triggers: very long, and not light.

I do not consider it unsafe to carry a modern DA/SA pistol with the safety off and hammer down. My S&W 59 is a different story, but that gun has no drop safety.

I don't see any issue with what you're doing. In fact, I consider what you are doing to be preferrable, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    So I was doing some draw and dry fire practice today with my EDC (PT145) and got to thinking. Maybe I just havent pratcied with it enough but it seems like having to swipe the manual saftey off adds quite a bit of time to my draw/site/fire motion. Now by quite a bit of time we are talking maybe a quarter to 1/2 of a second but in a deadly force scenario that half a second could mean a lot. Since my trigger has a decent amount of take up on it and the gun has a firing pin block I think I am going to try carrying it with the manual saftey off for a while and see if I cant get used to it.
    That is one reason all my defensive carry pistols are Double Action only. Also makes it easy for my wife to grab any pistol we have. She knows all she needs to do is pull the trigger. By the way she has a permit also......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Distinguished Member
    I use to carry a gun with a manual safety, and one day during practice forgot to sweep it off, could have been a bad day. Now all my carry weapons are of the tri-P design

pull

point

POW!!!!!!

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Originally posted by Grady I do not consider it unsafe to carry a modern DA/SA pistol with the safety off and hammer down. My S&W 59 is a different story, but that gun has no drop safety.
    He's talking about carrying an SA pistol in Cond. zero

He's talking about carrying an SA pistol in Cond. zero
    Oops. Thanks for straightening me out on the SA pt145. I thought it was DA/SA.

But after researching the pt145, I read one review which stated the trigger pull was 9 lbs., and another review on a different pt145 that stated the pull was 9.5 lbs.

With a trigger pull that heavy, I still think I'd carry with the safety off, unless the particular gun in question was deemed to be unsafe when carried that way.

What makes carrying the pt145 with the safety off different than carrying a Glock with a lighter trigger weight?

But it's really a moot point for me because I don't plan on buying a Taurus.

Rollo,

I also currently EDC my Mil Pro as well, and I also carry without the safety on. I can't seem to re ingrain the safety sweep into my memory. I'll make a more conscious effort when I can afford to carry a quality 1911. When its on the dresser at home or not directly on me I engage the safety though.

As long the Mil Pro is in quality holster with the trigger covered it's ok. We both know that that trigger has a heck of a long take up!

Shoot straight,

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Read below before making up your mind, it is a DAO trigger. It would be no different that carrying a wheel gun without a safety.

The following is from American Handgunner and written by Charles Cutshaw

The safety is engaged when in the "up" position and disengaged when "down." It blocks only the trigger, but a firing-pin block is not required, as will be explained below. I am not enamored of added manual safeties in a well-designed DAO pistol such as the PT 145, which is as safe as a DAO revolver without any such additional safety devices.

The trigger is a true DAO design that functions via a transfer bar with integral sear that rides in a channel between the frame and the grip assembly. As the trigger is squeezed, the sear retracts the striker and as it reaches the end of its travel, the sear is cammed down via a small ramp, thus releasing the striker to fire the pistol. This system is smooth, reliable and consistent, but it does "stack" somewhat as it reaches the end of its travel and the striker spring fully compresses. We found that this had little or no effect on accuracy, however.

The striker is physically blocked by a firing-pin safety that is cammed out of the way by the striker as it is retracted. As the striker moves forward, the cam retains the safety out of the striker's path long enough for the striker to hit the cartridge primer under its own momentum.

When the trigger is released, it is reset, whether the slide has cycled or not. This allows the trigger to be pulled again in case of a misfire, without retracting the slide, as you perform a "tap, rack, bang" drill. The relationship of the sear and striker acts as a disconnector. The design is simple and reliable. The DAO trigger pull is approximately 0.5" in length and the pull weight is some 9 lbs., but actually feels lighter.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

My bad If it's a DAO go for it

Senior Moderator
    The general rule is that if your firearm has a safety you should use it.

If you don't want a firearm with an external safety then don't buy or carry a firearm with an external safety.

Though I don't believe it's as "scary" as some have made it out to be, I would never recommend, to anyone, at any time, that they should carry their firearm in any way other than how it was intended.

If you think the safety slows you down and you want to have an "external-safety-less" gun, then I would recommend going and looking at some other models without the safety and seeing about a trade.

As others have stated, thumbing off the safety should have no bearing whatsoever on your time to draw and shoot.

Flipping off the safety should be a natural extension of drawing.

I can see how those little plastic tab safeties can be hard to flick off.
    If I were to carry a pistol with a safety it would be a 1911 type thumb safety that you can actually use as a resting spot for the rear thumb. It feels natural, and you'll never forget to flick it off.

That said, I agree with Grady. Long and relatively heavy SA isn't really different than Kahr's long DA with a striker fired pistol, and only the "trigger safety" differentiates it from the M&P or Glock (which both have shorter pulls). Reading up on the PT145, it does have a firing pin block safety, and is California Drop test certified, which means it's been dropped without the safety on and didn't fire. Therefore, in a good kydex holster that clicks in around the trigger guard, I don't feel there is a meaningful safety difference.

That said, I'm a little paranoid, and I like that my Glock's striker is only "pre-stressed" and not fully cocked until the trigger pull.

The following is from American Handgunner and written by Charles Cutshaw
    I think Rollo has one of the newer SA/DA versions and he refers to the older DAO mechanism.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links