No More Safety For Me - Page 4

No More Safety For Me

This is a discussion on No More Safety For Me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like someone needs a Glock...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mic
    Sounds like someone needs a Glock
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    When I carry my PT145 - I carry it with safety off - like the M&P I used to have or like a Glock the trigger becomes my safety.

When I put it on the nightstand for anything that might go "bump in the night" then my safety's ON - or when it's locked up in it's drawer safety's on then too - just not when it's in holster on me....
    Last edited by ArmyCop; March 15th, 2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: For content.
    For God, Family and Country!

I carry a 24/7 PRO with the DS trigger. I asked a guy I know who has been a LEO firearms instructor for many years and he advised me to carry de-cocked with the safety off.

I'd say if it's DAO or has a de-cocker, leave the safety off.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    When I carry my PT145 - I carry it with safety off - like the M&P I used to have or like a Glock the trigger becomes my safety.

When I put it on the nightstand for anything that might go "bump in the night" then my safety's ON - or when it's locked up in it's drawer safety's on then too - just not when it's in holster on me....
    With all due respect, aren't you concerned that you'll forget that the safety's on if something go's "bump the the night" when you are half asleep?

I have no issue with carrying without the safety engaged, my issue is not keeping the pistol in a consistent "condition". Sounds like a bad situation waiting to happen.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    Has anybody ever seen a post to where the safety being on stopped a ND or AD. I am being serious here. In my four years of reading about guns I never seen such a post. I am sure a safety somewhere stopped a AD or ND but I just never heard of it happening. Obviously all those that did have a AD or ND are wishing they had a safety or it was engaged. I carry a Glock mainly but I also carry other guns and on none of them do I use the safety. A 1911 or similar is the only gun I would use a safety on.
    in most cases the negligent party isnt aware the gun is going to fire in a negligent discharge...therefore...you would not hear if a safety prevented a negligent discharge because the negligent party does not realize it...i hope that makes sense...accidental or negligent...however you want to identify it...the party doing it isnt aware they are doing it...

i would be more concerned about muscle memory and not using a safety in the event the safety is accidentally engaged on the firearm...this can happen while holstered or in a struggle...then youve got a job on your hands...

growing up as a hunter i feel it becomes second nature to disengage a safety on a gun equipped with one when one has practiced enough with it....yo should be engaging your safety at the range every time you shoot the gun so it becomes second nature to you...

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    I use to carry a gun with a manual safety, and one day during practice forgot to sweep it off, could have been a bad day. Now all my carry weapons are of the tri-P design

pull

point

POW!!!!!!

Z
    Agreed, as much as I love my 1911, I EDC a Sig P250C. K.I.S.S, is even more important under stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post

hint- Revolver
    That!!!

I know we don't get to carry as many rounds but less explaining to do for my wife. Just point and pull the trigger until the BG is not a threat anymore.

Jim

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Here's a question for 1911 owners: Whenever you take your weapon out of the holster, do you often sweep up with the thumb to insure that the safety is on? If so, you're developing muscle memory ... and that is the likely action that you will take if you ever need to draw your weapon.

Not meaning to slam anyone here, but it's a natural and subconscious action. Think about it.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post
    Here's a question for 1911 owners: Whenever you take your weapon out of the holster, do you often sweep up with the thumb to insure that the safety is on? If so, you're developing muscle memory ... and that is the likely action that you will take if you ever need to draw your weapon.

Not meaning to slam anyone here, but it's a natural and subconscious action. Think about it.
    Always sweep the safety off, then sweep on.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

(Your safety should be your trigger finger it should never be on the trigger till your ready to shoot).

Common people remember you firearms safety class when you where twelve. I do not believe in safety’s it is only one more thing that could get you killed.

Now if you are the BG go ahead please have a stolen gun with a safety engaged please. LOL

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    If it has a safety on it use it.
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post

huh? confused i guess... no, when i take my weapon out of the holster my thumb is naturally on top of the safety, and as i draw my thumb presses down. my thumb stays rested on top of the safety as i shoot. my muscle memory turns off the safety, not on. if i for some reason want to draw my gun without turning the safety off i must conciously do so (though its not like its that hard. i cant imagine accidently turning the safety off when i dont mean to, but when i am quickly drawing my gun, the safety is off beforethats for sure)
    here is a random pic i found on the internet that shows how it is held (not perfect, but close enough- shows thumb reletive to safety)
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I am constantly amazed at the almost communicable concept of the necessity for some kind of quick draw ability, and one-half second time frames to denote failure or success, shared by so many armed citizens. I read of people standing before a mirror practicing a fast draw every day, evincing behavior just shy of what I might consider real paranoia. Armed citizens boasting of carrying back-up guns and studded with multiple magazines, is also disturbing.

We are armed citizens, not old west gunfighters (who didn't even do those quick draw gun battles ascribed to them). If you do not have your firearm out and ready when the trouble arises, you are probably going to be shot anyway. Paying attention to your surroundings and reading what you see, is ten times more important than Roy Rogers quick draw skills.

The very idea of not using a safety because it slows your quick draw speed is, at best, most likely a prelude to one eventually shooting oneself in a accident. At worst it could lead to shooting someone else unintended.

I get around quick a bit, and have for many years. I have not yet found myself, as an armed citizen, walking down Hogan's alley, waiting to draw and shoot whoever pops up in a window. I think this kind of mind set gives anyone who may be on the border between pro and anti-fireams, the idea that all too many armed citizens are living up in Cloud Cuckooland somewhere!

Perhaps we should all sit back for a moment and ask ourselves just how many times in our daily lives, we have had to draw in desperation and shoot someone, as armed citizens. How many times did you actually need a handgun outside in your daily life, before you were permitted to carry one? And what are the odds of being in an OK Corral shootout?

Carrying firearms in public places is a great privilege and equally, a responsibility to maintain maximum safety for those around us. That should be our first concern.

Administrator
    Practice some more.
    If you're doing your draw correctly it (operating the thumb safety) should not add anything to your draw and presentation time. l

VIP Member
    I don't use the safety at all on my M9 because my hands are kinda small and I can't sweep it off with one hand. I just use the half cock on it to keep the pressure off the firing pin incase i drop it.
    If you are manipulating the hammer manually in order to put it in "half-cock," this practice is unnecessary at best and dangerous at worst. The M9 has a firing pin block - if you lower the hammer properly BY USING THE SAFETY/ DECOCKER, the pistol is perfectly safe. Putting the selector switch back into the "fire" position at this point gives you a traditional DA pistol with no inherent safety concerns. Messing with the hammer manually, however, CAN be dangerous - I strongly advise against it.

And yes, it is SOP for almost all units to carry with the safety "on." It is my opinion, however, that this is unnecessary, especially considering the relatively difficult manipulation required to "off-safe" the M9... I carried mine off safe, hammer lowered via the decocker, and had all of my troops who carried M9s do the same. No one above me ever inspected the safeties on their pistols during combat operations...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links