No More Safety For Me

No More Safety For Me

This is a discussion on No More Safety For Me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was doing some draw and dry fire practice today with my EDC (PT145) and got to thinking. Maybe I just havent pratcied with ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

No More Safety For Me

So I was doing some draw and dry fire practice today with my EDC (PT145) and got to thinking. Maybe I just havent pratcied with it enough but it seems like having to swipe the manual saftey off adds quite a bit of time to my draw/site/fire motion. Now by quite a bit of time we are talking maybe a quarter to 1/2 of a second but in a deadly force scenario that half a second could mean a lot. Since my trigger has a decent amount of take up on it and the gun has a firing pin block I think I am going to try carrying it with the manual saftey off for a while and see if I cant get used to it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    1/2 second seems like a lot. You should be sweeping it off as you raise the gun, which IMO shouldn't add much of a delay at all.

Now, I personally prefer no safety because I don't want to forget to turn it off, or go through the motion but not actually get it off and then freeze up when the gun won't fire, but I don't think it's a speed issue.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I agree.

As a military police officer I wanted to eliminate any fine motor movements from my draw in the case of an emergency. I started doing this after one day at the range, during a practical weapons qual I forgot to slip the safety and was late in getting my shots off. The instructor told me if I did that in the real world it "would make me a dead man." So I began to flick the safety off when I went out on patrol, and flick it back on before going somewhere like the NEX or back to HQ.

Now, on my personal Beretta (Px4 9mm) the safety is a smaller switch, when shooting from the holster or dry firing my thumb merely grazes over the safety about 1/4 of the time. So I've done away with it and now carry condition one, hammer down safety OFF. This is only when the weapon is on my belt under my direct control, when it goes on the headboard for the night or in the safe 9for whatever reason) the safety goes back on.
    Last edited by JD; March 14th, 2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: addressed via PM
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

If your firearm has a manual/external safety, use it. Develop the muscle memory through a lot of practice, and you won't have to even think about it when you draw your firearm.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

With a good holster, it shouldn't matter carrying with the safety off. Pocket carry, even in a holster, I would probably leave it on.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

It depends on the weapon. Some of these SA autos, I would highly suggest you guys carry with the safety 'on'

VIP Member
    Clicking off the safety shouldn't take any time off your shot at all! When you draw your weapon, as soon as your muzzle is down range and just as you're pressing in to your target "click", off comes the safety, your arms reach full extension (depending on stance), you're acquiring your sight picture as you move your trigger finger to the trigger and "press" the trigger... bang! All in one fluid motion.

No lost time at all!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Rollo, I think you are making a wise choice.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    They put the safety on it for a reason, I would suggest using it and practice a lot with it. I don't like any pistol with any sort of manual safety on it due to that fact. I am a violator of my own rules about safeties on guns in Afghanistan right now. I don't use the safety at all on my M9 because my hands are kinda small and I can't sweep it off with one hand. I just use the half cock on it to keep the pressure off the firing pin incase i drop it.

My EDC rotation is between a 1911 and an XD. The difference in holster presentation speed doesn't exist. If the pistol has a safety switch, I would use it. Turning off the safety should be part of the presentation, like retsupt said, it shouldn't be an issue.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Smile

That is one reason that I like the Springfield XD series. It has built in safeties, but as soon as you properly grip the gun you are ready to go. No need to remember disengaging a manual safety. On the other hand, it is all in what you practice. Muscle memory is the key. I know that I do not practice enough and I carry an LCP or a 357 revolver most of the time. I haven't worked out the clothing thing yet.

I'd be very careful if I were you. The PT145 is an SA/DA gun, and no de-cocker.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Maybe its just years of carrying a 1911, but I always feel for a thumb safety. Even on my Glock 27.

I've always thought that the benefits of having the safety on out weighted the risk of the fraction of a second that I may benefit from with it off.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If you want to carry a weapon W/out a safety get a weapon designed to be carried as such. Walking aroung W/ a SA weapon in condition zero is an ND waiting for a place to happen.

That said, I take no issue W/ carrying a DA/ SA in DA mode W/out the safety

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Maybe its just years of carrying a 1911, but I always feel for a thumb safety. Even on my Glock 27.

I've always thought that the benefits of having the safety on out weighted the risk of the fraction of a second that I may benefit from with it off.
    That's funny. I habitually thumb-sweep my Glocks too. They don't seem to mind...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links