A Lesson Learned At The Range Today

This is a discussion on A Lesson Learned At The Range Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BugDude I had a failure to fire in someone else's gun last year. His pistol had second strike capability and it didn't ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Lesson Learned At The Range Today

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I had a failure to fire in someone else's gun last year. His pistol had second strike capability and it didn't help. I remembered what to do from stuff I read here. After waiting a few minutes with the barrel pointed safely away, I carefully cleared the round and stored it safely face down in an empty box out of our immediate area. At the end of our session, I carefully loaded that single round alone in my empty mag, inserted it into my pistol, chambered it, and it fired. Strange. Perhaps my firing pin hit a slightly different spot.
    That's a Fail to Fire, not a squib. A squib fires, it's just not the umph of a normal round and the bullet doesn't have the power to even make it out of the barrel. It's just sitting there, and if another round is fired with the original bullet sitting inside the barrel, it can cause a lot of back pressure and major damage to the gun, and possibly you.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    That's a Fail to Fire, not a squib. A squib fires, it's just not the umph of a normal round and the bullet doesn't have the power to even make it out of the barrel. It's just sitting there, and if another round is fired with the original bullet sitting inside the barrel, it can cause a lot of back pressure and major damage to the gun, and possibly you.
    That's the only issue I've ever had was that one failure to fire. Out of the tens of thousands of rounds I've shot. I've got moldy Sears 22 rounds that came out of a 94 year old man's basement that all went bang (ok, more like pow) every time. Guess I've been lucky.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    I run a pawn shop and if he bought them from a pawn shop then it was a very seedy joint my guess is he or a friend reloaded them and he didnt want to own up to it. We dont deal with ammo at all much less reloads and most pawnshops dont deal with ammo. But good job on stopping him it just goes to show you that we all have to look after each other cause accidents can happen real quick.
    Funny, most of our gun shops are also pawn shops. Close to half of them in town sell guns and ammo.

To the OP, good catch!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I reload for a couple of friends,I tell them if they ever have a round that sounds different or recoils different to stop shooting clear their gun and check the barrel for obstructions.I shot 100 rounds of 45 acp yesterday I knew had problems,and I found about 15 squib loads,the only thing I can figure out is the cases were contaminated with gun lube or something that killed the powder charge.These are the first squibs I've had in over 40,000 reloads,but it can happen,even had a few bad factory rounds in the past.I would never trust a reload that I did not know who reloaded it and saw their equipment,you might get a double charge and instead of a pop get a KABOOOOOM
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good lesson in awareness, thanks for sharing!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Thumbs up Whew!

Thanks for being alert! I'm glad to see that someone was willing to step in and prevent a possible disaster.

Things like this can make you sweat ... bullets.

Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    A squib is normally caused by a round that has no powder in it. The primer goes off and pushes the bullet into the barrel, but there is no BOOM. I have had it happen once in my XD with some reloads.

It is very clear when it happens that something went wrong. Pay attention to what the firearm in your hand does!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Man, you're 200% for taking charge of that situation. That could have ended so bad for the dude, or even your brother next to him. Good going!

IMO, you probably saved the dude a trip to the emergency room and gave him some excellent advice for ammo to boot. All in all he should be very grateful to you.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jsnole View Post
    You saved him a world of hurt...and possibly his life.
    Agreed.

Kudos to the OP for being alert to his own surroundings (other shooters) and being human enough to show that man some caring as to resolve his own ignorance of pretty much everything.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Nice job Jang, way to watch out for your fellow shooter!

Shooter,

It wasn't me this time...It was John Luttrel.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Congrats for being aware and taking the initiative to step in and help!

As I'm sure you know, you may have saved that guy some serious hurt!

A couple more kudos for you

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    IMHO you only use reloads (and then from a tried and true like Georgia Arms) in a revolver and not a semi auto. There is no way I buy anything for a semi auto that is not new and a respected brand that has some recommendations to go with it. Another thread had talked about brass cartidges vs aircraft aluminum--again--brass has been around forever--there is no way I stray from tried and true when it comes to an explosion in my hand that is next to my face and a handgun firing is just that--an explosion.

Very Good catch.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Nice job!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links