A Lesson Learned At The Range Today - Page 3

A Lesson Learned At The Range Today

This is a discussion on A Lesson Learned At The Range Today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We had a guy at one of our concealed carry classes, cap off a round behind a squib, in a S&W Chief Special. Barrel came ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Lesson Learned At The Range Today

We had a guy at one of our concealed carry classes, cap off a round behind a squib, in a S&W Chief Special. Barrel came off the frame, top of frame went flyin', cylinder was destroyed. Never a scratch on anybody. Guy standin' nest to him saw the barrel fly in front of him though. Scared him a bit. Smith got the pieces sent to 'em, replaced the gun at no charge. Never asked whether it was a factory round or handload. Nice people at Smith.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Way to go, nice save. I was down at our local flea market this weekend and one booth there had some ammunition in plastic bags and I just thought to myself, no way in heck. I didn't bother to look to closely, it was all handgun ammo though.

Whoever said we have to look out for each,, you just showed that to be true helping someone out and hopefully he will learn now.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Your kamra grew a little bit today. Excellent job in helping out a beginer shooter.

Good job! That is a lesson that gentleman will never forget.

Makes me afraid to shoot rapid fire...

Good job saving the dude's fingers!

GM
    I really do not understand why people want to use unknown reloads. Why can they not understand how dangerous it can be.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Nice job John . I hope the guy learned from your lession in both safety and pracitical knowledge....
    Better to have and not need then to need and not have!!!!
    EDC G22+Clips=SECURITY

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I really do not understand why people want to use unknown reloads. Why can they not understand how dangerous it can be.
    Because they are cheap.

Great catch and stop. You deserve a pat on the back for being informed and helping a fellow shooter.
    Keep your powder dry

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    He was very lucky. This is a good lesson learned thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieShoot View Post
    Because they are cheap.
    And do not want to take the time to learn about proper use and safety.

Lazy is as Lazy does.

While shooting at my CCW class, at Miami Valley Shooting Grounds near Vandalia, Ohio, I started to shoot my 40? year old Galesi .25 caliber pistol, that I had carried illegally as a cab driver and around town, having it here at my house, ready to pick up and shoot from this end table here. BANG! JAM! DAMN! BANG! BANG! JAM! DAMN! I gave this gun to the range officer/NRA instructor and told him to use it in his classes as an object lesson to others, e.g., those old and new shooters who keep showing up with those old and new guns that they have not been cleaning or shooting or using, but depending on. NOTE: Some time later, at the same range outside, I had my first-ever 9mm squib stuck inside my Hi-Point barrel, that I had to have pounded out by a gunsmith at Gander Mountain: ONE bad reloaded bullet. Maybe, it was good that I was outbid, at an auction, on those big plastic bags full of cheap ammunition.

I cought my wife with a squib 9mm load in my PM9. The next bullet hadn't quite chambered since it rammed into the jammed bullet. The energy was enough to eject the brass and chamber the next round. I had my hands on the gun and her stopped instantly. She wouldn't have had the time to pull the trigger if it had chambered fully. I was frightened thinking "what if". I always watch my powder dropper now, just in case.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

I appreciate this forum as I am new to semi-auto. Always shot revolvers.

I have not had a problem thus far, use only factory ammo. I knew the part about keeping the weapon pointed downrange, removing the mag, clearing the chamber. What is the proper way to clear the barrel?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    That's a Fail to Fire, not a squib. A squib fires, it's just not the umph of a normal round and the bullet doesn't have the power to even make it out of the barrel. It's just sitting there, and if another round is fired with the original bullet sitting inside the barrel, it can cause a lot of back pressure and major damage to the gun, and possibly you.
    Yes but you don't really know it the primer has gone off so you need to wait at least a minute then open and check. Just to be safe. If what happened was the OP then so be it. If I'm not 110% sure it was a squib I'm not opening the action for at least a minute, ever situation is different though. Like BugDude says below.....

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I had a failure to fire in someone else's gun last year. His pistol had second strike capability and it didn't help. I remembered what to do from stuff I read here. After waiting a few minutes with the barrel pointed safely away, I carefully cleared the round and stored it safely face down in an empty box out of our immediate area. At the end of our session, I carefully loaded that single round alone in my empty mag, inserted it into my pistol, chambered it, and it fired. Strange. Perhaps my firing pin hit a slightly different spot.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links