Friends do not understand my CCing.

This is a discussion on Friends do not understand my CCing. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DM2 I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm also sorry to hear about the closed mindedness of your friends. I sure ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Friends do not understand my CCing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm also sorry to hear about the closed mindedness of your friends. I sure hope good friendships are not ruined because of this. Maybe you can try to talk to your friends and explain to them your background with firearms, training, practice etc. You might also invite them for a friend night at the range, or possibly arrange a ladies night at the range with them and some of their other friends with a neutral party doing the instructing and assistance. Maybe you could meet them afterwards for lunch or something to discuss their feelings.

I've found that most people's negative reaction to guns are based in fear. I know mine was. I was never interested in guns until I took my first class. Now, I enjoy the challenge of mastering the sport.

I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

^^^Try that^^^^^^^^

And, in the meantime, if you value their friendship, tell them you did'nt know that it would upset them so, and in the future, when they want to go somewhere you cannot go, just make up an excuse that you are feeling ill, and you'd like to call it a night, that way they won't know you are carrying. It may work

Harry S Truman:
    Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

yes you are right sir. i will stop reading this thread from now on....
    Last edited by can2boy; March 20th, 2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: i know better and i will not go that way!
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    You have compared CC to being handicapped, being a sexual predator and having a very stigmatized disease.
    Nope. I didn't compare the "afflictions" mentioned.

Mentioning them in the same breath was simply to suggest that the practical effects of being shunned are much the same, irrespective of the "affliction" or difference setting a person apart in the minds of people. That difference can be a wheelchair, color of skin, a political position (ie, abortion or the death penalty), guns or the carrying of them, an ugly criminal claim whether it's true or not. We've seen all these things from time to time, in our own communities. We've all heard of the dentist who diddled his patients, or the woman who claimed the hubby was a child molester (during the divorce, often essentially used as a tactic of retribution). The point was simply that the practical effects of the stigma associated with these things is not so very different.

It might well turn out that the guy who was cuffed-and-stuffed in Medford by the police SWAT was due to knowing the stigma that can be associated with such a public claim of being a threat. In this climate of fear mongering, such a thing can mark a person in a community. Who knows the cause of the claims, yet, in this case.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

GM [OP]
    I have not been able to be here during a couple of days; sorry about that. Well, I want to let you know that we have started to communicate again; it is getting like it was before that day. None of us have mentioned the word “gun” yet, and I do not want to push it. I prefer to give it time until it feels naturally to talk about it. However, I am very optimistic. I am aware that it will take some time, but I consider that it is worth; I really like my friends. And to make it even better I believe that in the future they will accept my carrying. Guess if I am glad!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I have not been able to be here during a couple of days; sorry about that. Well, I want to let you know that we have started to communicate again; it is getting like it was before that day. None of us have mentioned the word “gun” yet, and I do not want to push it. I prefer to give it time until it feels naturally to talk about it. However, I am very optimistic. I am aware that it will take some time, but I consider that it is worth; I really like my friends. And to make it even better I believe that in the future they will accept my carrying. Guess if I am glad!
    Congratulations!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Congratulations!
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Thank you, I appreciate it.
    I am thrilled to hear that you are talking again! The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by merischino View Post
    I am thrilled to hear that you are talking again! The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
    I am aware that it will not be an easy journey, and that it will take some time. The hardest part will be getting over that unjustified and irrational fear of firearms. Realizing that firearms do not kill, that people kill, might be the answer to the problem.

It don't much matter to me because I have always been sort of a walkin' wallet and a male money machine, at leat until I retired and lost half of my attractivness and charm, as I did when I got rid of those two S-10 pickup trucks that were good enough to haul their butts and stuff. And this was before I resumed having fun with guns and ammo, like ya know, instead of spending my money on dating and mating and drinks, dinners and driving all around town. Now, they may think that it is strange that I buy bullets and drive to a range. If you really need or want to keep female friends, buy yourself a pickup truck and you will imediately see a strange surprising change in your luck.

I dont understand why poeple think this way and quite frankly get very upset with poeple who think this way. our country was built on poeple who believed in arming themselves and protecting what was thiers. Im sick and, tired of the general public treating legally armed citizens like we are the Bad Guys. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but come own folks. do these poeple really feel that we are just going to go off the deep end and start shooting poeple. we as permit holders have to go through so much crap to get our permits they should realize we are the last poeple they need to worry about The general public really needs an education on carrying concealed. Wish I could do more to educate these folks sorry for ranting but, it turns my stomach everytime I hear that poeple feel threathen or intiminated by us that carry come on AMERICA wake up
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

This thread has made me realize a few things that I am thankful for:

1) All of the friends that I hang out with and go places with are guys (I'm married, so no surprise).
    2) We all have similar intrests: Cars and guns.
    3) We are all no drama and low maintenance. No one gets offended by any of the others actions or lack thereof (you didn't call, you went somewhere with so and so, or whatever type of crap some folks apparently deal with).
    4) I never thought I would be so thankful for my old geezer, don't give a rat's behind, uglier than home-made shoes, crazy as they are ugly, gas passing, car driving, gun toting, hard working, tax paying, fought for their country, good old fashioned country boy redneck buddies. "The Good Ol' Boys" that will do anything for one of their friends, no questions asked.

PS. I just hope they don't read this or their heads will swell up so big they won't be able to fit through the garage door.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    It don't much matter to me because I have always been sort of a walkin' wallet and a male money machine, at leat until I retired and lost half of my attractivness and charm, as I did when I got rid of those two S-10 pickup trucks that were good enough to haul their butts and stuff. And this was before I resumed having fun with guns and ammo, like ya know, instead of spending my money on dating and mating and drinks, dinners and driving all around town. Now, they may think that it is strange that I buy bullets and drive to a range. If you really need or want to keep female friends, buy yourself a pickup truck and you will imediately see a strange surprising change in your luck.
    You can set my truck on firel and roll it down a hill,
    and I still wouldn't trade it for a coupe deville
    it's got an 8 foot bed that never has to be made
    you know if it wern't for trucks we wouldn't have tailgates
    I met all my wives in traffic jams
    there's just something women like about a pickup man

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Thank you for your advice, but I am afraid I will not choose that path. I am not a pickup truck guy (nor SUV for that matter)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links