Do you Carry an extra mag? and where?

This is a discussion on Do you Carry an extra mag? and where? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; nope 15 rounds is more than enough for me! 98% of the time for a regular joe like me, most attack happens in 3yrds, 3 ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you Carry an extra mag? and where?

nope 15 rounds is more than enough for me! 98% of the time for a regular joe like me, most attack happens in 3yrds, 3 rounds in 3 seconds.
    But I do carry a new york reload....hehehe.
    Attached Images
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I carry 1 extra mag (double stack)
    2 mags if they are single stack (1911)

I usually pocket carry them.
    Ditto...
    Double mag carrier for my 1911 and if using doublestacked tupperware and extra mag in the cargo pocket of my jeans...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Wilson Combat support side front jeans pocket.

No I don't with my Glock (17+1), but I do carry a single speed strip in my pants pocket if I am carrying either my Ruger LCR or S&W 624.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Most civilian SD situations are over very quickly with few shots fired. They're not the drawn-out shoot-outs envisioned. What's in the firearm is more than adaquate in the vast majority of cases. Sure, there's the rare exception to this, but what are the odds of it ever happening to you?
    You are absolutely right. Of course...what are the odds that you will ever be in a shooting? So, based on your logic, why bother carrying a gun at all. After all, you are just playing the odds, right?

The only time you need a reload is...when you need a reload. And it is not just spare rounds. It is an essential part of emergency action to clear malfunctions that require stripping the magazine from the weapon.

If you are comfortable carrying no spare magazine, fine. But not everybody feels the same way.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    You are absolutely right. Of course...what are the odds that you will ever be in a shooting? So, based on your logic, why bother carrying a gun at all. After all, you are just playing the odds, right?

The only time you need a reload is...when you need a reload. And it is not just spare rounds. It is an essential part of emergency action to clear malfunctions that require stripping the magazine from the weapon.

If you are comfortable carrying no spare magazine, fine. But not everybody feels the same way.
    Gonzo
    I don't disagree with you there Gonzo, but if a person is carrying something like 1911 with a 7 round capacity and a spare magazine which will require some amount of time to reload and then to do so under great stress while trying to cope with a HUGE adrenaline dump, then why not just simply carry a gun with a 17 or even a 20 round capacity such as the Sig Sauer P-226 and eliminate all that can go wrong with a combat reload? I'm not trying to argue with you. I want to know if there is there an advantage to a lower capacity weapon and the felt need to carry a spare magazine or two, rather than the simplicity of carrying fully loaded high-capacity weapon?

Malcolm X

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRow1 View Post
    I want to know if there is there an advantage to a lower capacity weapon and the felt need to carry a spare magazine or two, rather than the simplicity of carrying fully loaded high-capacity weapon?
    No worries...I don't think you came off as argumentative at all. Discussion is a wonderful thing!

I think that boils down to your particular choice of caliber and platform more so than how it factors into a reload. At least it is that way for me. I simply prefer the .45ACP and feel comfortable carrying an 8-round pistol. I practice my emergency reloads a lot. I think anybody who carries should practice emergency reloads and emergency clearance drills just like they practice hitting center mass on the target.

You question also makes the assumption that the magazine serves only to reload when you run out of rounds. If you carry a high-capacity 9mm (or whatever) and you suffer a double-feed after you only fire 2 rounds, it does not matter that you have 13 left in the magazine. Those other 13 rounds are now useless to you. And "Tap/Rack/Engage" is not going to fix a double feed. You are going to have to pull the slide back and physically strip the magazine. The last thing you want to do at that point is reinsert a magazine which may have been the cause of the malfunction you just cleared. You need a spare mag to replace it with. And that would apply whether or not you carry a pistol that holds 7 rounds, 10 rounds, or 17 rounds.

The way I look at it, if I care enough to inconvenience myself by carrying a handgun everywhere I go, it certainly takes very little additional effort on my part to carry at least one spare magazine. I carry two, and do so with no more effort than if I carried none at all. Being "prepared enough" means something different to everyone. To me, it does not mean I'm willing to carry an M-4 strapped to my back everywhere I go. But I'm willing to carry a combat caliber pistol and a spare reload or two.

For me it boils down to this: I have studied several shootings where the person involved, after the fact, states that they wish they had carried additional ammunition or a larger caliber handgun. I have never read any post-shooting report where the person involved states they wished they had been carrying a smaller gun or less ammunition.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Two actually at about 8 o'clock.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    For me it boils down to this: I have studied several shootings where the person involved, after the fact, states that they wish they had carried additional ammunition or a larger caliber handgun. I have never read any post-shooting report where the person involved states they wished they had been carrying a smaller gun or less ammunition.
    Gonzo
    I appreciate the discussion and you articulate your position very well. . .You are right in that it's all a matter of personal choice and comfort level, after all none of us knows how events will unfold for us. For me when I desire capacity, I choose a 9mm filled with modern self defense ammo. I am a well practiced "seasoned shooter" and continue to practice regularly, but I still choose to remove a forced reload in the middle of fight for a my life or the lives of others. As for the double feed possibility you speak of, I own only one double stack auto and that is a very well used but well cared for first generation Glock 17 and I have never, not once after many many thousands of rounds fired have I ever experienced a double feed. I'm not saying they don't happen, I'm just saying it has not with this gun. It is the single most reliable auto I have ever owned, bar none. I trust it's willingness to feed and fire more than I trust my ability to reload under huge stress when fine muscle control becomes critical. Great discussion...Vaya con Dios amigo!

Malcolm X

I carry reloads for a variety of reasons.

One reason is most malfunctions with auto loaders are easily remedied by stripping and swapping magazines. If you have no spare magazine, you are stuck spending precious seconds trying to fix things with what you have.

Another reason is that who says you are going to face only one bad guy at a time. It is not uncommon in the least for bad guys to travel in at least pairs or larger groups. Being of the cowardly nature which they are, they usually need some friends to help out.

Yet another reason is that I know of absolutely no reputable firearms trainers, many of whom have been in gunfights themselves say anything other than it is foolish not to carry a spare reload.

As a matter of fact the only people I know who don't feel the need to carry a spare reload have usually been those who have not had a lot of professional training, are people who have never faced a violent encounter with a predator in a dark ally before, or those who have a fatalistic mindset that they are incapable of engaging more than one bad guy or that if they can't end it with the rounds in their gun, they are dead anyway.

That may work for some folks. But true survivors usually have a different mindset. JMHO.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Generally I carry one mag weakside in an OWB mag pouch or front pocket depending upon the gun I'm carrying.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

VIP Member
    I always carry a spare magazine. Usually on my belt in an OWB pouch.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Always carry extra

If I'm wearing a shoulder holster, then 2 extra mags go on the off-side. With a pancake or IWB I'll place an extra mag in a Galco Horizontal Mag Carrier at 6 o'clock.
    I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

I always have a spare mag on the weak side hip. Main concern is the same as the others, a bad mag. I have been to many classes and each instructor has said to make sure you carry at least one for that reason.

Spare mag at 9:00 and one in weak side pocket.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links