Wife understands dangers of society..

This is a discussion on Wife understands dangers of society.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Patti The only thing worse than asking your name, is asking your phone number. Anybody standing close by can hear it. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wife understands dangers of society..

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    The only thing worse than asking your name, is asking your phone number. Anybody standing close by can hear it.

I HATE THAT!
    Years ago I had a pager (remember them?).

Anybody in the retail trades that insists on having a phone number attached to my name gets the old pager number.

BTW, whenever retail places insist that they need to enter a name in their computer system, along with a phone number (see above) I tell them my name is Cash, Petty Cash. Either that or I'm Cash Customer. The one time I got the because the name on the credit card did not match what I just told them to put in the computer, I explained that the name on the card was because I was in the Witness Protection Program. If they say they need a ZIP code I ask them what the ZIP code for the store is and to put that in.

stay safe.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    That is kinda creepy... Whatever happened to guys walking up to just talk to woman? Now its all these dating sites and facebook... little to no hunting required... wheres the fun in that. Sorry off topic here...

I may be single but I know enough to not leave notes on a lady's car.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I think I'd have to call the number and in a calm yet firm manner let him know that she is married and uninterested.
    I'd be wary of this for 2 reasons:

1) Unless you call from a 3rd party line or block your phone number, he has your number. Something he didn't have before.

2) Odds are it was just a guy looking for a date... however dumb his method is. (What woman is gonna go for that?) I would be extremely cautious, but I think saying you have a "full blown stalker" on your hands is quite a stretch. By initiating contact, you might turn a regular guy with bad pick-up moves into an angry guy who might remember what your wife and her car look like.

Just my $.02... (Amazing how opinions aren't affected by inflation.)

Oh, and as for the trouble with racking the slide, I'd give it some time. My girlfriend couldn't rack any slide of the guns we looked at, but now she has no issue. I think the biggest factor is the "fear" or "cautiousness" she had. She would treat it like it was glass and didn't want to break it. Quite cute really.

I havn't had a chance to call him, so therefore I'm not going to. I had planned on calling him from a pay phone so he doesn't obtain our home number, but since I did not get the time to do it "immediately", I kinda feel as "BlueNinjaGo" stated that odds are he was just some guy looking to meet a woman but has bad pick-up moves and turn "into an angry guy who might remember what (my wife) and her car looks like."

We live in a pretty small town, and his number is an in-town number, so he probably lives within a 5 mile radius of us. He could very easily cross paths with her or us at any of the local stores again in the future.

Just like when your dog pee's on the floor, you correct him immediately, not 5 minutes later. Since I didn't call this fool immediately, it's probably best to just leave it alone, and just stay alert and make sure she does too. If we have any further issues with him, turn the note over to the police along with information about the events that transpired and go from there.

She did manage to rack the slide of my Bersa Thunder .380 the other night (barely).
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

GM
    I am sorry that your wife needed to experience something like that. Hopefully, she will soon get her CHP.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The guy would definitely get a call from me, calm and firm that she is unavailable. I’d also make sure that she is packing as soon as is legal.
    I would do everything possible to track down the owner of the number and find out who the guy is.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    My wife continues to amaze me. I just watched Law Abiding Citizen the other night with my kids and was explaining at the dinner table the importance of not opening the door if you don't know who is there. (If anyone saw the movie, they'll know what I'm talking about). She kind of scoffed at my educating the kids. I stated that sticking your head in the sand is not going to make the evil in society go away. The response was that most people are harmed by someone they know. AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

I just can't make her get it.
    MP45:

Don't let your wife's blissful ignorance stop you from teaching your kids about SA and real life. Once they learn about the dangers surrounding them, it will keep them safe and maybe they will help you to keep your wife safe.

Also, your wife will listen to your children more than you, so they can teach her even if she hasn't changed her mind.

Capt. Art

It sucks that she got the note on her car but...

On the bright side, she is getting serious about hers and your safety. I wish my girlfriend would take it more seriously. I got her a pepper spray and she almost laughed it off like "what do you think people are looking to attack me." I of course tell her no, I doubt anyone else is plotting some attack as we speak but wouldn't you rather be more prepared in case someone does.

Though she does carry the pepper spray, I think that I am a long way off from convincing her to carry a gun. I thought that maybe the new Rasberry LCP would do the trick b/c its "cute." But no luck yet.

Oh sorry I left that note on your wife's car she just looked so hot going into the store

Just kidding of course, it sounds like she did the right thing but honestly I feel you are overreacting a little bit. The guy states in his own note he doesn't want to intrude if she's married, just let it go and use it as an example as to why she should always be alert.

Oh and view it as a complement, some creepy guy who doesn't even know your wife thinks she's attractive enough to leave a note, thats a damn good self-esteem booster.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Sounds like a potential stalker to me.
    I'd be getting her into a pistol class, then get her a CCW permit, and nice comfortable snubbie.
    You just can't be too careful...this guy sounds like a wacko.
    I agree on all counts have her try a snubbie

I can understand why the OP's wife would be worried however I donít think a letter on the windshield is that big of a deal. About 3-4 months ago I was driving through town and passed a couple of cute girls (they looked like they were 18-19 years old) in a red car. They waved at me as I drove past and then got behind my truck. When I stopped at an antique store for about thirty minutes I walked back to my truck to find a note with a girls name and phone number asking me to call her. Being a married man I tore the note up with a grin and went on my way.

The point of my long post is this, this guy could have seen the OP's wife get out of her car and thought she was attractive and left her a note. I would think that if he was a creep or stalker then he would have been standing around the car or sitting back and just watching her. Just my 2 cents.

PS. I thought it was pretty cool that he even wrote that if she was married he wasnít interested.

You might also try doing a reverse trace on the number through Google (just enter the (###) ###-#### and let 'er rip) to get HIS address, (though I'd keep that little nugget of information to myself...) but I'd strongly consider contacting law enforcement and doing a report, if for no other reason to establish an official record that the incident occured if there is a second incident. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's a dorky looking dude wearing a "Vote for Pedro" shirt, though...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    It sucks that she got the note on her car but...

On the bright side, she is getting serious about hers and your safety. I wish my girlfriend would take it more seriously. I got her a pepper spray and she almost laughed it off like "what do you think people are looking to attack me." I of course tell her no, I doubt anyone else is plotting some attack as we speak but wouldn't you rather be more prepared in case someone does.

Though she does carry the pepper spray, I think that I am a long way off from convincing her to carry a gun. I thought that maybe the new Rasberry LCP would do the trick b/c its "cute." But no luck yet.
    Some people just don't get it.

Years ago my exwife would leave her car unlocked at the hospital where she worked. What did she leave in the front seat? You guessed it..... Her handbag.

I tried to talk sense into her but she never got it. One night when I stopped by for a visit I took her handbag when I left. Instead of making a point all I managed to do was P her off. Oh well!

Now that was just a little creepy. Not yet a stalker, yet a very bold move for someone to just up and do. Place a note on a strangers car saying she's hot and would like to hook up with her knowing full well when he left it that she obviously has no clue what he looks like. Why would anyone expect a woman to call them back based on a note of that nature.

The clue that bugs me is why didn't he just approach her and ask her out face to face if he was interested her based solely on that one time view of her.

This isn't even in the same realm of seeing a stranger in a bar, being attracted to them and having the bar tender send them a drink. In that scenario, you expect the bar tender to point out who the person was who bought them the drink and thus allowing the person to at least look at them and then respond from there based on the persons reaction to the one who bought them the drink.

This is a guy who spots a "target", knows full well the "target" was oblivious to their presence and leaves a creepy "come on" note on their car, and really thinks a woman is going to go "Okay, I'll call him back and hook up for a date!"

Again, kind of a creepy approach. You can't really say he's stalking her yet, but like others have said. He knows what she looks like, he knows her car and (more than likely, knows her license plate number... You think he didn't bother to write it down?) plus he knows where she shops. She knows absolutely nothing about him! Just a phone number, which may or may not even lead back to a place of residence if it were traced or even his real name.

Man that sends so many red flags, it isn't even funny!

Now you have an excellent opportunity to capitalize on this situation regarding personal safety. Trust me, so many men have problems with their wives regarding guns, self protection, personal safety and all that. You have a wife who not only got spooked real good, but is very receptive to the ccw aspect and really enjoying her first experience with shooting.

You need to drive on full speed ahead and both of you should immerse yourselves in getting up to speed with teaching her about situational awareness, risk analysis and threat assessment and continue to add other tools to your defensive tool boxes. It's great she already has OC spray, and has applied for ccw permit and been shooting a few times and already taken a class.

Just don't let her enthusiasm wane. Get her up to speed as quickly as possible and continue to lead long and happy lives.

Also beware that this note on the car incident is over. Hopefully it is, but she needs to be acutely aware when out and about for the foreseeable future. Not only when out of the house, but also when at home. Be alert for things suddenly out of the ordinary while at home.

Also, she and you both should practice and learn a little bit about simple and basic "counter-surveillance" techniques and learn how to tell if you are being followed home or not. Right now he knows where she shops, so she should be particularly alert whenever she visits that same place again and try to pick up on someone paying undue attention at that location or leaving the same time she does. Best thing is to find a new store to shop, but not everyone want's to do that if they have a real favorite store.

Anyway, thanks for posting that experience and good luck in the future. I'm glad your wife has been so receptive to carrying a gun. But don't stop there. Capitalize on your good fortune in finding such a great wife.

Keep us posted if anything else develops from that note on the car issue.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If I were a woman, I would have gotten into the car and driven straight to the police department and reported it. Can't be TOO safe, you know! Today's world is not the same anymore.

Also, tell your wife never to have less than 1/4 tank of gas in the car in case of a true emergency where a getaway is needed. I always hope that my wife follows this rule; but, I don't think she does!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links