TN Man's Permit Revoked: 1st Fall Out @ Post 110-MERGED

This is a discussion on TN Man's Permit Revoked: 1st Fall Out @ Post 110-MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bill Calley I understand what you are saying, BugDude, but as I also said in an earlier post, this A-hole could be ...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: TN Man's Permit Revoked: 1st Fall Out @ Post 110-MERGED

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Calley View Post
    I understand what you are saying, BugDude, but as I also said in an earlier post, this A-hole could be the poster-boy for the gun grabbing Brady Bunch.

Also, it's quite clear that people like him MASSIVELY harm open (and concealed) carry in a BIG way: All it takes is enough folks and their representatives to say, "What, you mean it's actually legal to walk CARRYING a firearm in your hands on the streets that my family and I walk on every day?? My god, we have to pass a law banning the carrying of firearms, PERIOD!".

And as far as the state "unfairly" taking this sub-moron's CCW away, I think many people here may not fully realize the laws and powers that prosecutors can work under to keep things on an even keel: They probably could have gotten (or threatened to get) Mr. *****-fer-brains on any number of charges, such as: "brandishing a weapon", "intimidation", "reckless endangerment", "disturbing the peace", "disorderly conduct", etc. I've probably missed quite a few others.

With the spate of shootings caused by crazy people who come into areas openly carrying unholstered weapons, this kind of irresponsible cr@p we really don't need, and we certainly shouldn't condone/excuse/ignore his behavior. The state was 100% correct in revoking his CCW.

Sorry if I've gotten my panties in a bunch, but morons with guns -- and morons who do dim-witted things while armed -- really tick me off. (I'm old enough, as are most of you, to have lived through the CCW dark ages of the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's; and our current CCW carry freedoms are far to precious and far too hard fought to be jeopardized by this fool, or by any other fool).

-Bill
    I agree with you 100% about the negative impact this idiot could have on gun owners, OC, CC, etc. Moronic gun owners tick me off as well. If this idiot broke a law, then he should be charged and prosecuted and the consequences on his CCP should be handled accordingly. Aside from this specific situation, it concerns me that the state would revoke a person's CCW without criminal charges being filed and a conviction unless that state's law says they reserve the right to revoke for any or no reason. It is a slippery slope based on subjective rather than objective criteria. Once subjective criteria become accepted, then the door to any liberal opinion of what is ok or not is wide open.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Originally posted by Bill Calley: "Also, it's quite clear that people like him MASSIVELY harm open (and concealed) carry in a BIG way".

Posted by TREO: "Since it's so clear you should have no problem citing an example".
    Gosh, what was I thinking Treo! The voting public couldn't POSSIBLY be alarmed by morons carrying firearms in their hands on a public street, and that same public then voting anti-gun in the next election. Oh dear, silly me! Couldn't possibly happen. False alarm. Sorry.

-Bill

PS: I'll look up the statistics and examples of just how many citizens will be converted to Brady by such idiotic incidents, and then I'll get right back to you with the exact figures Treo. Or not.

IOW you've stated your opinion and that's finw but state it as such and don't try to use it as excuse to limit my R2KBA

This guy is bad for 2A advocates.

However, he has the right to carry and, imho, the freedom of speech that should extend to how to portray your firearm. It's the same as those Hello Kitty ARs. Don't those look like toys?
    Crime should be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by PileDriver73 View Post
    Generally a good indication that what you're about to do isn't the best idea, haha.
    I certainly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    IOW you've stated your opinion and that's finw but state it as such and don't try to use it as excuse to limit my R2KBA
    His quote:

"The only way you can carry the handgun is to carry it openly in your hand," Embody said. "

Try to keep up.

SA or not, the man was walking around with an AK pistol in his hand, the first thing I would do if I saw that would be call the cops, and I support the second amendment. I do not support people who are clearly making a show of their right to bear arms. I am astounded reasonable people are actually trying to defend this individual...
    Last edited by TheOhioan; March 15th, 2010 at 01:07 AM.

I defend him because I think his rights give him the flexibility to be stupid with them.

I don't defend his stupidity, only his rights. Once you start banning stupid, every power hungry **(edit: term of endearment for your "representative")** will try to control the definition of "stupid".
    Crime should be outlawed.

I don't really see anyone trying to defend this individual. I see reasonable people evaluating the state's response to an isolated incident and using their intellect and foresight to look well beyond the incident itself to the far reaching implications of revoking a CCP based on subjective "how it made them feel" criteria rather than objective "defined in terms of law or policy" criteria.

While what this person did seems outrageous to us, our legal and safe OC or CC seems outrageous to some others. It's all about perspective. If the guy did something that legally warrants revoking his CCP, then no problem. If he did not, then that's a problem for all of us.

I believe the intent of the discussion has moved beyond the lone idiot and his moronic behavior and more towards an intellectual discussion of rights and principle. If they can take his CCP with no legal basis, then they can take yours as well for whatever they deem appropriate.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    His quote:

""The only way you can carry the handgun is to carry it openly in your hand," Embody said. "

Try to keep up.

SA or not, the man was walking around with an AK pistol in his hand, the first thing I would do if I saw that would be call the cops, and I support the second amendment. I do not support people who are clearly making a show of their right to bear arms. I am astounded reasonable people are actually trying to defend this individual...
    It's possible you should be the one trying harder to keep up.

The incident to which you refer (carrying in hand) related to a black powder revolver in Belle Mead (I believe that is the name), TN where they have an archaic exception to their no carry law.

The same individual was also involved in another incident in which he was carrying (slung) an AK pistol in a state park.

If you are going to insult someone for not getting it, it would be smart to "get it" yourself...otherwise it just makes you look like a fool.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    It's possible you should be the one trying harder to keep up.

The incident to which you refer (carrying in hand) related to a black powder revolver in Belle Mead (I believe that is the name), TN where they have an archaic exception to their no carry law.

The same individual was also involved in another incident in which he was carrying (slung) an AK pistol in a state park.

If you are going to insult someone for not getting it, it would be smart to "get it" yourself...otherwise it just makes you look like a fool.
    I literally quoted the man who was the offender, there has been no other links posted, so I am merely reading the article as it stands.

ill chime in again and say that i dont think that his actions were smart, i don't think he is doing anything good for the 2A cause, BUT assuming he was w/in the law (which it looks like he was), then they have no right to take away his carry permit.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Might it be possible the state was pushing for a mental evaluation for this guy? That could be the reason they took away his permit. Not saying definite but it's a possibility.

As for carrying around a PDW style pistol.... wow ... why not just stick a drum mag in there and call it a day

I know a lot of people do things "just cause they can" but this guy is taking it to extremes. How could he expect his walk through a park with an AK pistol in the open not be met with police responding?

I have asked many-o-question about the "rifle/pistol" and if its even legal to carry. Yes they are legal to carry as long as they meet the capacity restrictions if applicable, are not select fire or full auto (otherwise it would be defined as a machine gun) and do not have a butt stock (otherwise it would be defined as a short barrel rifle). I have been told by gun shop regulars (who some happen to be LEO) that it isn't a good idea to EDC something like that. Not only is it impractical but it may dawn up more questions if you are outed.

Sorry for the long post
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Heh, yeah, I always thought it was funny too that it is okay to CC an AR/AK 'pistol' even when it is not okay to CC a rifle (don't get me wrong, if it were my choice I'd allow either).

In theory you could also walk around with 20 guns inside an oversized trenchcoat matrix-style, but if you ever get into a SD situation like that you had better have a large legal fund!

If this guy ever has to defend himself, he's going to have a real hard time with the jury.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Thats what he gets!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I must really be blind, because I am completely missing why so many are so down on this man.
    Mostly because IMO, even though his actions fall within the letter of the law, his actions make gun owners look bad. He's intentionally inflammatory and seeking conflict with the police, seemingly so he can file lawsuits. For what purpose I'm not sure, is he trying to get some silly laws changed, or is he trying to line his pockets at taxpayers expense? Either way, his judgment in how to go about things is questionable.

Do I agree with revoking his permit? No, he hasn't broken any laws or endangered anyone other than himself. But I seriously disagree with his tactics and apparent motives.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links