TN Man's Permit Revoked: 1st Fall Out @ Post 110-MERGED

15K views 196 replies 66 participants last post by  Scar270 
#1 ·
Man Who Carried Gun In Park Has Permit Revoked
Gun Rights Supporter Attempts To Set Record Straight
Reported by Heather Jensen

POSTED: 9:24 pm CST March 13, 2010
UPDATED: 12:01 am CST March 14, 2010

NASHVILLE, Tenn. –– You may not know Leonard Embody's name, but you might know his recent troubles with the law and guns.

"I'm a private person," Embody said. "I didn't want to be in the spotlight. I didn't want my name in the news reports."

Embody's name and story have been appeared in news reports and online blogs for months. He was thrust into the media spotlight last December when he carried an AK-47-type pistol into Radnor Lake State Park.

"It wasn't modified in any way except for a sling, and I had painted the tip orange on it," he said.

His gun-carry permit was current and the gun was legal, but park rangers stopped Embody and detained him for three hours. He was later released with no charges filed.

The next month, he made headlines again when he took his handgun on a walk down Belle Meade Boulevard, in full compliance with the law.

"The only way you can carry the handgun is to carry it openly in your hand," Embody said.

Once again, he was stopped, searched, and released.

Since then, Embody has filed a federal lawsuit against the Radnor Lake State Park ranger. And on Friday, he received a certified letter from the Tennessee Department of Safety stating his gun carry permit was revoked.

"There was a material likelihood that I was a risk to the public," Embody said of the letter.

Embody doesn't consider himself an gun rights activist; but he strongly believes gun legislation is flawed, often outdated, vague, or contradictory.

"I'd like to see that here in Tennessee we have the right to bear arms and that right shall not be infringed," he said.

Regardless of his thoughts on gun rights, his run-ins with authorities, or the talk around town, Embody said he's not trying to make a political statement.

"I always carry a gun. I usually carry open carry. I believe open carry is a deterrent to crime," he said.

Embody will appeal the decision to revoke his gun carry permit.

Attorneys on both sides of his lawsuit are scheduled to meet in April.

See less See more
#52 ·
I defend him because I think his rights give him the flexibility to be stupid with them.

I don't defend his stupidity, only his rights. Once you start banning stupid, every power hungry **(edit: term of endearment for your "representative")** will try to control the definition of "stupid".

#53 ·
I don't really see anyone trying to defend this individual. I see reasonable people evaluating the state's response to an isolated incident and using their intellect and foresight to look well beyond the incident itself to the far reaching implications of revoking a CCP based on subjective "how it made them feel" criteria rather than objective "defined in terms of law or policy" criteria.

While what this person did seems outrageous to us, our legal and safe OC or CC seems outrageous to some others. It's all about perspective. If the guy did something that legally warrants revoking his CCP, then no problem. If he did not, then that's a problem for all of us.

I believe the intent of the discussion has moved beyond the lone idiot and his moronic behavior and more towards an intellectual discussion of rights and principle. If they can take his CCP with no legal basis, then they can take yours as well for whatever they deem appropriate.

#56 ·
ill chime in again and say that i dont think that his actions were smart, i don't think he is doing anything good for the 2A cause, BUT assuming he was w/in the law (which it looks like he was), then they have no right to take away his carry permit.

#57 ·
Might it be possible the state was pushing for a mental evaluation for this guy? That could be the reason they took away his permit. Not saying definite but it's a possibility. :confused:

As for carrying around a PDW style pistol.... wow :rolleyes:... why not just stick a drum mag in there and call it a day :comeandgetsome:

I know a lot of people do things "just cause they can" but this guy is taking it to extremes. How could he expect his walk through a park with an AK pistol in the open not be met with police responding? :hand1:

I have asked many-o-question about the "rifle/pistol" and if its even legal to carry. Yes they are legal to carry as long as they meet the capacity restrictions if applicable, are not select fire or full auto (otherwise it would be defined as a machine gun) and do not have a butt stock (otherwise it would be defined as a short barrel rifle). I have been told by gun shop regulars (who some happen to be LEO) that it isn't a good idea to EDC something like that. Not only is it impractical but it may dawn up more questions if you are outed.

Sorry for the long post :embarassed:

#58 ·
Heh, yeah, I always thought it was funny too that it is okay to CC an AR/AK 'pistol' even when it is not okay to CC a rifle (don't get me wrong, if it were my choice I'd allow either).

In theory you could also walk around with 20 guns inside an oversized trenchcoat matrix-style, but if you ever get into a SD situation like that you had better have a large legal fund!

If this guy ever has to defend himself, he's going to have a real hard time with the jury.

#64 ·
The only thing this knucklehead will accomplish is getting state governments to impose the type of handgun you can legally carry by approved roster, such as in Massachussets and California and/or cause them to revoke open carry laws. This doesn't help citizens in other States and municipalities who are fighting for their 2A rights either. Just because he has the right doesn't mean he should. Like it or not in today's government, our freedoms hang by a thread, and we need to make conscious decisions on what outcomes our actions can cause. I'm not saying it's right to be forced into thinking along those lines but it's definitely real. He also makes a poor conscious decision to paint the tip of his AK orange. We all know what impression he was trying to circumvent by doing this.

#65 ·
You are, of course, 100% right. Our CCW (and overall gun) rights, whether some people here like to admit it or even realize it, DO hang by a very thin thread, and such idiotic behavior as this imbecile demonstrated will start to turn back the clock for many of those rights.

And just think: If many of us here, in a GUN FORUM, find his actions objectionable, just think what Mr. Average John Q Public thinks. :scruntiny:

We need to get a little real here, and not live in our own little unrealistic "well, it's his/our RIGHT" dreamworld; because that "right" can be snatched away in a heartbeat. :buttkick:

-Bill

#67 ·
Originally posted by Bill Calley Our CCW (and overall gun) rights, whether some people here like to admit it or even realize it, DO hang by a very thin thread,
Umm dude, we're the ones W/ the guns

#68 ·
:rofl:

But seriously Treo, "they" (the ones who pass and enforce our laws), have a heck of a lot more guns than we do, and those guns are a heck of a lot more powerful. And, "they" are also a heck of a lot more organized than your all inclusive "we" are.

Tell you what: If "they" pass more restrictive anti-firearm laws due to the prevalence of some more gun-toting sub-morons who take pleasure in frightening the voting public, then you go up against "they" with your 9mm, and I'll watch from afar (from really, really afar). :wave:

-Bill :smile:

#70 ·
Many liberals also think that a person that OCs a 1911 cocked is purposely looking for trouble (i.e. the soccer mom in VA that was on the news for open carrying her 1911 cocked at her kid's soccer game). While it is perfectly legal, who gets to subjectively determine one that deserves to lose their permit. Objectively determine, no problem.

I think a vast majority of folks here agree that this particular guy is a moron that tries to intentionally stir the pot and his behavior is a detriment to the responsible gun owning community. Not much argument there. No one seems to be defending the individual or his actions. The question is what is the basis for revoking his CCP? If they can take his without objective reason, what's to stop the next person in that capacity who may be a died-in-the-wool anti from taking yours or anyone else's for whatever reason they decide is ok?

If there's more to the story and there was some legal basis, then I certainly would be glad that they took the idiot's CCP. Perhaps the rest of the story isn't being told. I don't know, just basing the larger question on what is provided.

#71 ·
I have to say I am very disappointed at many of you.

The guy did nothing illegal and you say he is wrong. I have to admit I don't think i would have done what he did, but I will not condemn him for it either.

No wonder we have so many stupid gun laws on the books, it is because people like yourselves don't want to rock the boat.

#73 ·
2010 edition of the 2nd Amendment

A well over-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a somewhat free state, the right of certain people to keep, until determined its no longer necessary for them to have, and bear arms, unless they bear them in a fashion that may make certain members of the somewhat free state uncomfortable, shall not be infringed, unless it differers with others moral or political beliefs. :nono:

#75 · (Edited)
A well over-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a somewhat free state, the right of certain people to keep, until determined its no longer necessary for them to have, and bear arms, unless they bear them in a fashion that may make certain members of the somewhat free state uncomfortable, shall not be infringed, unless it differers with others moral or political beliefs. :nono:
:haha: :rofl: :boese51: :rant: :9: :smoke23:

Don't give the powers that be any ideas...they just might re-write it.

#79 ·
I'm thinking Jim Zumbo or Dan Cooper would feel right at home in this crowd

#87 ·
I think that the guy is lucky to still be alive. What do you think that many CCWers had done if that guy came walking against them in the dark while holding a big revolver in his hand? I do not think that he even considered that possibility.

#92 ·
IMO Americans that set Old Glory on fire needs themselves to be set on fire. :firedevil: If you don't like the USA as my mother would say when I was 3 "use your words".

As for the guy in the article...He is the type of gun owning person who puts forth a bad image of we responsible and law abiding gun owners. There was no need for his actions.

IMO he has a child mentality for the law. Sort of like when the parent says you better not touch your brother so you instead wave your hands around his head and say "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!". You may not be touching him but the annoyance will still get you a swat. :twak:

This isn't the first occurrence. He was walking down the street with a percussion cap pistol in hand. He was stopped by police. You pull that **** here in Ohio and you are in a heap of trouble. The only time you should be holding your gun in your hand is if you intend to use it. You will be hit with a brandishing charge minimum.

#95 ·
I am just tired of hearing about this guy. He went about a right thing the wrong way.
I have mixed feelings about pulling his permit, but if I was the judge I think I would pull em!!:aargh4:

#99 ·
Originally Posted by Treo
As has been posted several times on this forum the law in Belle Meade Tn. specificially restricts carry to an Army or Navy pistol and specifies that it must be carried in the hand .

The guy was in strict compliance W/ the city ordinance how is that wrong?

This goes back to my thread about trusting other people W/ guns. This guy didn't break any law and there are people here on a "pro gun" website that want him pilloried. Brady ain't our worst enemy , we are
I want him pilloried for aiding and abetting the Brady Bunch.

#103 ·
Does the 2nd amendment mean what it says?

Mr. Embody acted strictly W/ in the law in both incidents. There's nothing in either story that suggests that he threatened or endangered anyone.

I don't see any reason to revoke his permit. Either the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed or it shall

Which is it?

#105 ·
Mr. Embody acted strictly W/ in the law in both incidents. There's nothing in either story that suggests that he threatened or endangered anyone.

I don't see any reason to revoke his permit. Either the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed or it shall

Which is it?
We had an open carry group here in michigan go into a local ponderosa, one of them had an AR15 across his back. Now its legal, but come on. Imagine sitting there with your daughter and a guy walks in with an AR, to be honest I might have taken him out. This guy is no different. Rights are rights, but common sense should play a part here.

#104 ·
This guy's actions could have easily been that of an Anti and y'all would be ripping him on this forum. (not that most of y'all aren't) Imagine if he were an Anti and did the same things and went on an Anti forum and got applauded for bringing guns in a negative light.

Then, this forum would have gotten hold of it and rip him. But because he poses as a gun rights advocate, his **** don't stink. I'm pro-firearms but I'm also anti-stupidity.

#107 ·
I have an AR pistol, ten-inch barrel and such, registered plumb legal and all. I don't carry it in the car, although I could, or on my person, cause my person ain't big enough to hide it. Figured, why get stopped for some reason and hafta do all that explainin'. Cops see me with that and I'd be down ta the station while they checked with the NSA, Homeland Security, Interpol and all them folks. Ain't worth it frankly. They see a .357, they're fine with it. Suits me too, I guess. All in how ya look at it I spoze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.