TN Man's Permit Revoked: 1st Fall Out @ Post 110-MERGED

This is a discussion on TN Man's Permit Revoked: 1st Fall Out @ Post 110-MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man Who Carried Gun In Park Has Permit Revoked Gun Rights Supporter Attempts To Set Record Straight Reported by Heather Jensen POSTED: 9:24 pm CST ...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: TN Man's Permit Revoked: 1st Fall Out @ Post 110-MERGED

TN Man's Permit Revoked: 1st Fall Out @ Post 110-MERGED

Man Who Carried Gun In Park Has Permit Revoked
    Gun Rights Supporter Attempts To Set Record Straight
    Reported by Heather Jensen

POSTED: 9:24 pm CST March 13, 2010
    UPDATED: 12:01 am CST March 14, 2010

NASHVILLE, Tenn. You may not know Leonard Embody's name, but you might know his recent troubles with the law and guns.

"I'm a private person," Embody said. "I didn't want to be in the spotlight. I didn't want my name in the news reports."

Embody's name and story have been appeared in news reports and online blogs for months. He was thrust into the media spotlight last December when he carried an AK-47-type pistol into Radnor Lake State Park.

"It wasn't modified in any way except for a sling, and I had painted the tip orange on it," he said.

His gun-carry permit was current and the gun was legal, but park rangers stopped Embody and detained him for three hours. He was later released with no charges filed.

The next month, he made headlines again when he took his handgun on a walk down Belle Meade Boulevard, in full compliance with the law.

"The only way you can carry the handgun is to carry it openly in your hand," Embody said.

Once again, he was stopped, searched, and released.

Since then, Embody has filed a federal lawsuit against the Radnor Lake State Park ranger. And on Friday, he received a certified letter from the Tennessee Department of Safety stating his gun carry permit was revoked.

"There was a material likelihood that I was a risk to the public," Embody said of the letter.

Embody doesn't consider himself an gun rights activist; but he strongly believes gun legislation is flawed, often outdated, vague, or contradictory.

"I'd like to see that here in Tennessee we have the right to bear arms and that right shall not be infringed," he said.

Regardless of his thoughts on gun rights, his run-ins with authorities, or the talk around town, Embody said he's not trying to make a political statement.

"I always carry a gun. I usually carry open carry. I believe open carry is a deterrent to crime," he said.

Embody will appeal the decision to revoke his gun carry permit.

Attorneys on both sides of his lawsuit are scheduled to meet in April.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

2. Remove Ads

What was the point of painting the tip orange?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

He sought conflict and he found it.

"The only way you can carry the handgun is to carry it openly in your hand,..."
    I'm not sure if that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard somebody say, but I will spend time today trying to find one stupider.

To quote BGriffin70 of this forum:

If you're carrying your gun around, feeling confident in the fact that brandishing is going to scare off the BG(s), you're better off just not carrying.

Thats are boy that was on here ehh? the one that walked down the street of al gores hometown with army blackpowder pistol ????
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    He's a private person he said, yah right, openly carried his weapon in his hand down the street. Oh sure, he's a private person ok.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    Thats are boy that was on here ehh? the one that walked down the street of al gores hometown with army blackpowder pistol ????
    That's the one, most likely holds the record for getting booted from forum boards.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    What was the point of painting the tip orange?
    To be a bigger d-bag.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post

"It wasn't modified in any way except for a sling, and I had painted the tip orange on it," he said.

"The only way you can carry the handgun is to carry it openly in your hand," Embody said.
    Why would you want to paint the tip orange??? To look like a toy?

I don't know TN law....but.....the only way to carry is in your hand??? mmmmmmm
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    I don't know TN law....but.....the only way to carry is in your hand??? mmmmmmm
    Apparently that community has a ban on carrying handguns...but it has an exemption for carrying one of 2 specific black powder revolvers as long as they are carried "in hand"...

For those of you who support this revocation, I sincerely hope that, at some point, some official decides they do not approve of what you carry or how you carry it.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

I have to say that I'd look twice at someone carrying their handgun in their hand.....hm. That can border on brandishing/threatening (in some places). I mean, if you're not supposed to 'draw' unless there is a threat of deadly force.....

OTOH, if you were legally open carrying a long gun, it would be in your hand, or over your shoulder, or both.

I dont know...I cant condemn but it seems unnecessary.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Apparently that community has a ban on carrying handguns...but it has an exemption for carrying one of 2 specific black powder revolvers as long as they are carried "in hand"...

For those of you who support this revocation, I sincerely hope that, at some point, some official decides they do not approve of what you carry or how you carry it.
    But does state law trump the community's ban?

That's the case here in Seattle, where the city made a bunch of places off limits to guns. It's been declared unenforceable because it is allowed in the state constitution.

Unfortunately, the new mayor is now trying to get the state const. changed
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

[

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post

Like I said, I don't know the laws in TN. But if this correct, I hope they can get the ban overturned.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    I must really be blind, because I am completely missing why so many are so down on this man.

Is it legal to decorate his gun by painting the tip orange? If it isn't, and I think perhaps it should't be, then he is wrong. He wasn't arrested, so I take it that what he did was legal.

If it is legal, well I don't agree with his taste but as Hot Guns wrote in another thread which was related to decorating one's gun, don't sweat the small stuff.

As for his rather well planned challenge to one city's rules, again, he didn't break the law, he pushed the boundaries a bit to open up some eyes.

I do not see grounds for revoking his permit to carry as there is nothing in his behavior to justify the state's assertion that, "There was a material likelihood that I was a risk to the public."

The guy is a gadfly. He is a pain in the back end of the officials, but that is their problem. It is what happens in an open society.

If they really think he is a risk to the public then they should do a "mental hold" on him, and then we will really see the fur fly.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why everyone is so down on him.

(Do I think he is a great spokesperson for us, no. But that doesn't mean he isn't within his rights. I didn't think Heston was a great spokesperson for us either.)

Well I truly think that he is telling a few lies, he says he is a pirvate person and isnt trying to make a political statement.

Well thats exactually what he is doing.
    I for one OC, and I support most that do, however this is a little over the top.

He was looking to get approached by LEO in the first place, he succedded in just that and this is not the first stunt he has pulled.

IMHO, this guy is a bonehead

He sounds to me as if he may be mentally ill. At the very least, he would make a great poster-boy for the Brady Anti-Gun Bunch...

-Bill

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Links