A little help from Texans

This is a discussion on A little help from Texans within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be working in Texas for a fews weeks from North of Dallas to Corpus Christi. So from what I understand the ...

Thread: A little help from Texans

I am going to be working in Texas for a fews weeks from North of Dallas to Corpus Christi. So from what I understand the laws in Texas are about the same as Arizona except in bars or the 51% rule (even if it isn't posted). I have a question about the posted sign from handgunlaw.us, is that what I have to look for? Or does the gun circle slash picture work? Any advice or tips for Texas welcome. Thanks Darren

Texas has very specific signage laws.

There is the 30.06 signage which has to be 1 inch letters in contrasting colors in both english and spanish.

Then there is the 51% signage. Bars must have this sign at their entrances.

Other than those two signs, you need to be aware of the other places off limits by the statutes. Gun buster signs mean nothing here.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Any place that has court offices or judges ,Justice of the Peace,are off limits,If you look up Texas CHL off limit places it will list all of them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just did a bit of reading on Handgunlaw.us and there appears to be several major differences in the carry laws here in Texas and in Arizona.

Civilians cannot legally open carry handguns in Texas (that sometimes surprises people from other states).

While this doesn't apply if you have a permit, the unlicensed car-carry laws are very different - was interesting to see how much so.

Farronwolf covered the signs very well - if it's not within the parameters outlined in the statutes, then it's invalid.
    Last edited by artificialgrey; March 17th, 2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: statues are in the park; statutes are in the law books
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

KaH
    You may carry your firearm, concealed, within your vehicle. You must have a concealed carry permit to carry on your person and open carry is not allowed.
    If a bar is not posted 51%, I believe the law recently changed so the fault lies with the establishment, not the carrier.
    Only 51% and 30.06 signs are valid notices to prohibit carry, in addition to the usual off-limits places like courthouses and schools.
    Be aware of the similarly-worded 30.05 sign - you can still carry if this sign is displayed. :)

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Texas has very specific signage laws.

There is the 30.06 signage which has to be 1 inch letters in contrasting colors in both english and spanish.

Here are examples of a properly worded and formatted "30.06" sign:

Last edited by Grant48; March 17th, 2010 at 10:55 PM.

Grant48,

My Spanish is a little rusty (and getting swamped by my abysmal French), but the English text refers to a concealed handgun while the Spanish text just says 'firearm'. Is that the exact way the legislature wanted the wording or did 'concealed handgun' just get lost in translation?

Good question. I was referring to the English portion... it's been quite a while since I took Spanish, so I'm the wrong person to ask about the literal translation.

After looking at the examples I posted above, it appears that both contain misspelled words in the Spanish portions.

Anyhow, this is the wording that is required by law:

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

"CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06 DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO UN ARMA DE FUEGO."

Link: Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    the 30.06 signs on glass, shown above, look just like the signs on the entrances to Mother Francis Hospital in Tyler...and funny thing about them it that they are on sliding glass doors that move before you could actually read them, unless you intentionally chase them down

Thanks for the help I was fairly familiar with 51% laws and had read about the 30.06 law. But didn't see that it was the only signage that held ground. (And now more than a defense for my advantage)So thank you and, even before I had planned on visiting Texas for extended periods had thought that thirty-ought-six was an ironic number for a firearms code. The concealed in a vehicle laws would be the most helpful even though I have my AZ CCW so it should prove no problems with the extended amounts of time it might spend locked in a work truck. Thanks again for the help, and its funny that I speak little Spanish, but better than my Mexican co-worker for the Espanol version of the CCW signage.

Always glad to help. Enjoy your time in Texas!

Links