Is It Me????

This is a discussion on Is It Me???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Joey Diesel Bill, The Shadow and Avenger, Thanks for the suggestions and support. I do have quick follow-up question. Assuming you didn't ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is It Me????

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Diesel View Post
    Bill, The Shadow and Avenger,

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I do have quick follow-up question. Assuming you didn't rush out and buy the first handgun you came across.. Do you still carry/own your very first firearm?

Thanks again for all your help!!!
    If you don't mind I'll jump in and offer this for what it's worth. I still have my very first shotgun an 870 Rem. that I converted to a bit of a hot rod tactical home defence gun. This gun I have owned and hunted with for 35 years. My first rifle a 7mm Rem. mag almost as long. And lastly my FIRST ever handgun of any kind a .22LR High Standard Sharpshooter, owned it 32 years. I still have them all. The Sharpshooter is a classic. It is not a cc gun, and it's semi-retired.
    My point with this info. is this, since you say you have not owned a gun before you might want to consider this. To a lot of us older folk some guns in particular hold lots of memories and sentimental value. I have bought and sold many over the years, some winners and some losers. So not being in a big hurry to buy that perfect gun is not such a bad thing. FYI I have had my CWP for only a bit over a year, yet I've been around guns all my life. How ironic is that?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

2. Remove Ads

+1 on getting a safe first. This was a requirement for me and my family with small children around.

I received my permit a few weeks ago and have no handgun yet (though I do have one on order from a distributor). I have been around rifles/shotguns/handguns/bows/muzzleloaders all my life and have shot them all, but never owned my OWN handgun. I do have a HD shotgun, etc. So while it may in the minority on this board, I don't personally think it is strange to get your permit first. Like others have said, take the time to find out which piece is best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    I'm not trying to start anything, but I don't understand why people get a CCW permit before they get a gun. What is the thinking behind this? I would think that people would want to be familiar and proficient with their firearm before they carry it, and (at least for me) one or two trips to the range doesn't cut it. I'm not flameing anyone who does it that way, to me it just seems like putting the cart before the horse.
    No offense everyone is entitled to their opinion, and hopefully we canall accept that.
    As far as getting the permit before the gun, there are several reasons.
    1. As someone mentioned in some states you can use the permit to purchase the gun without the background check, because they did the check when you got the permit.
    2. I know several people that have their permit just so they don't have to worry about transporting the gun to the range. They still transport it unloaded, in a locked case, but if they were to get stopped for something there is no chance of a cop pressing the issue, not that most would.
    3. Some people also feel that having the permit is a vote for upholding the second ammendment.

These are all good reasons to get a permit.

As far as what gun the OP should get, I agree revolvers tend to be easier to learn to operate. I also like the fact that I don't have to worry about remembering to release a safety in a stress situation.
    The few times I have shot an semi-auto I was always a little apprehensive about whether I put the safety ON, or OFF. It's like, how do I make sure up is safe?

For me it was time to go to Walmart

Not Just You

When I took my CCP class here in Texas, there were several in the class that did not yet have a gun. Not to worry, your first firearm purchase is harder then your first car. Just a few things to think about, I call it the 3 C's
    Caliber
    Cost
    Concealability

You have to decide which of these is the most important. If you want a larger caliber, it'll probably cost a bit more (that includes the ammo) and be a bit harder to conceal. If concealability is the most important, then a smaller caliber weapon that's easier to hide. You get the pricture. Remember, these are generalities (YMMV).

You will absolutely need a good holster, even for pocket carry, and maybe even a good quality belt to hold up your gun, and your pants

Getting a safe will depend on the ages of your kids, and sometimes local laws. We are empty nesters, so my handgun is on the nightstand in full view, but my grandchildren visit and I have to put the gun up out of reach. If your kids are old enough, take them out shooting so the gun holds no mystery to them and they will be less tempted to play with it if they find it.

So, after you get your permit and have your gun, the absolutely first thing you MUST do, is make a trip to Wally-World for nachos!!
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

First thing I did was call my wife. 2nd thing....she bought me a G26, some Speer Gold Dots and a Blackhawk SERPA holster. 3rd thing I did was thank her!

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    I'm not trying to start anything, but I don't understand why people get a CCW permit before they get a gun. What is the thinking behind this?... to me it just seems like putting the cart before the horse.
    I don't know about that

I built my first computer in 2000 before I even had ever used a mouse. I taught myself how to load windows on the drive and to use the software. I then took some advanced college courses got the CompTIA certification plus a few others.

Yeah it was unorthodox... but it has served me well.

VIP Member
    I would recommend getting yourself a gun safe to start with. Don't need anything big or fancy, just something you can secure your weapon in when your not carrying it.

Until you've decided on a gun there is no sense in buying a holster. Remember, a quality holster isn't a "one size fits all" item.

As to as weapon, narrow down your choices for your first weapon. Do you want a revolver or semi-auto. Then decide on a caliber, .38, 9mm, .40, .45). Once you've made that decision, then start narrowing it more. (full size, compact, sub-compact). Depending on your budget, get the best quality weapon you can afford.

Don't worry about which comes first (permit or gun). It will all come together for you, when the time is right.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

evo
    +1. Joker said it all

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post

Definately get a good safe for storage of your firearm.

Definately teach your family gun safety and get them out there shooting with you, they may need to defend themselves someday. I like to show them what a fast moving bullet can do to large pieces of fruit.

A .38 special/.357 mag revolver is a damn good idea. Reliable and proven they are great starter pistols that will serve you well for many years maybe even generations. Unfortunately it seems that even .38 spl ammo is getting hard to find.

If you are interested in semi-auto pistols just get a GLOCK 19, a large majority of people will agree it is the best all around pistol. Buy as much practice (range/ball/Winchester White Box/Federal Champion/Remington UMC) ammo as you can and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Also be on the look out for self defense ammo, Remington Golden Sabre, Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydra-shok, etc. Pick one and make sure to run a few magazines trough your gun to make sure it works flawlessly, don't wait to field test for when your life depends on it.

Order a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and belt from Crossbreed holsters. Yes, the belt is very important.

joker1
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

Smile

Welcome (maybe early) to NC CCW. Safe yes. Holster, wait until you purchase the gun and match up the holster to your gun and carry style. In NC the CCW permit allows you to purchase any and as many as you want. Otherwise you have to purchase permits from the sheriffs office and you are limited to 5 per approval. I know that I just made a bunch of people jealous because we have some awesome CCW laws in regards to purchase unlike so many gun unfriendly states.

As to the gun. Wow, you will get as many opinions as there are people. Revolvers are good in that they are simple to operate and if you get the right one are pretty easy to conceal. Some people don't like them because you do have more limited rounds than a semi-auto. Unless you plan on going to the OK Corral you should be fine with a revolver rather than a pistol. I carry a 357 a lot.

Semi autos become more complicated if for no other reason than the myriad of choices. I have my eye on the Ruger SR9 which is a 9mm pistol made right here in the US by a US company. There is a gun shop in Angier, just south of Raleigh, that has one for $369.00. That is a great price for this gun and it gives you good protection and great customer service from Ruger if you ever need it. But, there are many, many good guns to choose from and as you will see, this will become an addiction and you won't have just one.

Good luck with your choices and stay safe.

Cart before the horse here...I had to laugh. Good for you...you're on your way.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by cinsc View Post
    Droopy gave good advise. I would humbly add a Ruger SP101 2 1/4" to his list of revolvers. :) Perhaps not as beautiful as a S&W, but Less expensive and just as well made. You can find them for under $500.

Keep it secret, keep it safe and practice, practice, practice!
    I agree. I just got a Ruger SP101 2 1/4" barrel (with spurred hammer) 6 days ago (my 10th handgun in my current collection) and I must agree that it would be a great 1st gun (or just a great addition to any collection).

You get the flexibility of .38 special and .357 in one weapon. You can learn with 38 and work up to 357 as you get more comfortable with it. You can practice with 38 (cheaper).

It is heavier, but helps with recoil and can still be carried IWB or OWB very easy. I can even pocket carry it (I wear dockers with pleats and deep pockets).

357 is a great SD and HD caliber, and 38+P isn't shabby. Everybody should have a snubby in their collection, might as well get one with 357/38 capability.

Lots of great knowlegable and experienced folks here and you've gotten great advice from them to help you find what fits you. Look up ranges in your area on the net and rent some guns and go shoot. There's no subsitute for that. Be safe, and good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Wow......

To All,

This is what I love about this forum!!!! Before I left for work this morning I had around 10 replies, and log-on after a LONG day, and I have 44+ replies... So needless to say I'll try my best to jump back into the conversation.

Generally, speaking purchasing a gun safe is towards the top of my list, as one day [hopefully sooner than later] I will bring my " first" firearm home, and want to have a safe and secure location.

A few points that I left out of my original post that might shed a little more light about me...First, I have two fairly young children, ages 5 and 6, there in lies the need for safe!!!

Like many have suggested, I try to get to my local range [Calibers. if I can give them a plug] as much as possible to practice. To date I think I've tried just about every SA 9mm and 40caiber rental gun they have...including Kenny's [Manager at Caliber's] own H&K P30... Boy that gun was really nice!!!

Changing subject's slightly....I think I've called the Guilford County Sherriff’s office everyday since last week when I was told then, and unfortunately today...my permit is sitting on the sheriff’s desk waiting to get signed? Oh well, this gives me another night to read to really good post on DC!!!! -

Thanks again for all the help....

Off to Wally World:

We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I don't know about that

I built my first computer in 2000 before I even had ever used a mouse. I taught myself how to load windows on the drive and to use the software. I then took some advanced college courses got the CompTIA certification plus a few others.

Yeah it was unorthodox... but it has served me well.
    Hey! Same here! Took it out of the box, set it up....and taught myself. Have been in the computer industry now for about 15 yrs.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links