Defensive Carry banner

Is It Me????

4K views 45 replies 35 participants last post by  9MMare 
#1 ·
What's the first thing you did once you got your carry conceal permit? The reason I ask...I believe I'm only a few days from receiving my permit [fingers crossed...Guilford County, NC!!!!]

Well anyway I STILL have not purchased my first firearm. I know that's really sad..Funny thing every night after I read as many threads as possible I feel like I made my mind up... Only to get any one of the local gun shops, and change my mind..Arrgghhh!!! If you would have told 90 days ago I would not have made the purchase by now I would not have believed it myself.

I mean should buy a holster, a gun safe [kids in the house], ..not sure..It feels like I will probably be the first person on this forum to get his/her permit, and not own a firearm at that moment.

#2 ·
Congratulations!

The first thing I did at the mail box when I saw the SLED return address on the envelope... I flexed the envelope back and forth trying to feel for the laminated permit.

Yes I would recommend a safe especially since you have youngin's even if it's one of the small Sentry safes at the box stores for around $100. When your collection grows with rifles and shotguns you can upgrade.

#3 ·
Hi Joey,

To answer your question as to what you should do if you have young kids in your house, and if you also currently have no weapon:

1. DEFINITELY purchase as decent handgun safe [as well as educate your kids on proper gun safety].

2. Purchase a S&W or Taurus DAO .38/.357 revolver [they are dependable, and have much less chance of a ND, very simple to use, and are 99.99% reliable].

3. Buy only .38spl ammo, not .357 mag [With .357mag, there will be far to heavy a recoil in such a light carry gun].

4. By a Crossbread or Kholster Tuckable IWB holster, carried at 4:00 O'clock. [For fantastic and easy concealment]

5. Learn how to safely and effectively use your particular weapon. [Take lessons if need be at your local range].

You will get many other suggestions on best gun/holster/ammo, but the above is what I (and many others) recommend for many inexperienced defensive shooter [others here will probably give suggestions on the best gun to carry based on their much more advanced shooting skills/experience, but these suggestions may be not targeted to a beginner...]

Best Regards,

-Bill

#11 ·
You will get many other suggestions on best gun/holster/ammo, but the above is what I (and many others) recommend for many inexperienced defensive shooter [others here will probably give suggestions on the best gun to carry based on their much more advanced shooting skills/experience, but these suggestions may be not targeted to a beginner...]

Best Regards,

-Bill
:smile:

As a complete and total beginner, I shot alot of rental guns and chose a semi-auto 9mm....an S&W M&P...maybe not sexy but reliable as heck and easy to handle. It's what fit my hand and pointed best.

It now has a Crimson Trace laser grip and since it's my only gun, I 'still' carry it.

And from everything I've read....with misses and taking more than double taps to *stop* an attacker, and the likelihood of multiple attackers, I feel much better with more than 5 or 6 shots at defensive distances.

#4 ·
ahhh, dont stress it. Many people get their permits first. They use their permits to buy their firearms with. That way the waiting period is nullified. Some people I know only have their "concealed" permits to buy guns and dont even carry.

I would get a safe.
I would get a holster. A good quality one.
I would not stress the firearm part of it.

Once you find that one gun, that one that fits you and you love, the one you dream about at night. You wont have any regrets on getting it. Its a good thing you are taking you time with your decision. Many people fall for the sales pitch only to not love their firearm a few weeks later and wind up selling it or spending more money on something they do love. Hang in there bud.

#5 ·
I know after a few replies..it wasn't that bad!!!

Bill, The Shadow and Avenger,

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I do have quick follow-up question. Assuming you didn't rush out and buy the first handgun you came across.. Do you still carry/own your very first firearm?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

#7 ·
Bill, The Shadow and Avenger,

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I do have quick follow-up question. Assuming you didn't rush out and buy the first handgun you came across.. Do you still carry/own your very first firearm?

Thanks again for all your help!!!
Yeah I on occasion carry my S&W M&P instead of my usual EDC a 3" 1911. It's a great pistol but slightly bulky with it's double stack magazine compared to a 1911. I carry it when I'm working on cars or when I'll be doing some dirty dusty labor type jobs.

#8 ·
First thing I did. Let's see. I got the phone call. Stopped the car. Told my wife we were going to the sheriff's office instead of home. Drove 20 minutes out of my way to get the permit. Then 20 minutes home. I was happy. I still own my first carry gun, but it's only been a year. Probably sell it eventually, it's not that great.

Definitely get a safe. You'll have to make up your mind on a gun so that you can make up your mind on the holster or several. I have 3 for mine that get regular use, a crossbreed supertuck for IWB, a beltslide for OWB, and a Serpa CQB for OC. Depending on my mood.

#9 ·
I didnt. I was still trying out guns when mine came. Why is it 'sad?' I think it's more important to make a good decision.

What's the rush? Do you have a list of guns you are considering? Have you rented/fired them? You can and should (IMO) have some safe storage for your gun ASAP since you have kids, for when you do get it. Nothing should be affecting that.

Holster? It's my understanding that that is a 'journey.' Pick one, start with that and see how it goes. Expect to make changes. Dont spend tons of money right away.

Slow down....take the time to make good decisions and not unnecessarily waste $.

#13 ·
I mean should buy a holster, a gun safe [kids in the house], ..not sure.
With kids in the house, you certainly do need to consider safe storage. IMO, it should be considered anyway, kids or not.

What I would do:
  • Review the difference between a true Safe, and a locked box that has the word "Safe" printed on the user guide. There are many differences.
  • If this were my first gun and I didn't foresee ever having it spawn into a collection, I'd simply get the best 1-2 cu.ft model of safe that I could, and be done with it. ie, a used AMSEC CSC1913, AMSEC BF1716, AMSEC DXE1818, or a safe of similar size/weight/quality.
  • If I saw several more guns coming in the next year or two, I'd spring for a decent full-sized safe, bolt it to the foundation.
  • If I simply wanted basic protection from prying eyes, I'd do a larger GunVault and bolt it securely to the wall.

As for a holster, it'll depend on how you want to carry, your clothing style and how tight/close it fits, whether the laws in your area criminalize the merest sight of your gun. You can try a basic inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster from the corner gun store, to start, then change in the future as you learn about your own issues of carry ergonomics.

#14 ·
less than 90 days

Joey, if you've been waiting over 10 weeks you may want to call the sherrif's office. I called the office on my 90th day only to find out the deputy had tried to call a completely wrong number for me. My Guilford County permit was acutally ready in 10 weeks but they called the wrong number. Doesn't hurt to check with them. Jim

#15 ·
So you get your permit first, no problem there, your probably not the first person. You'll just be prepared is all. Make that first purchase the right one though, make it the one you want.

#16 ·
When I got started, I used a metal hand held tool box (w/ pad lock) as my handgun lockbox. I had several of them already, so nothing to go buy...just consolidated some tools in one box. When I outgrew the tool box and bought a large gun safe, I converted the tool box into my gun cleaning box.

Gun safes are kind of like when you build a garage. Whatever size you think you need, add a little more to it.

Find a gun range that rents guns and go shoot some. That's the best way to decide.

I wouldn't buy a holster until you buy a gun...holsters aren't one fits all.

Purchasing a handgun should be a purpose-driven purchase. List your needs and then find something that fits your hand and those needs. If you carry a semi-auto, are you comfortable carrying chambered? Do you want a safety? One with an external hammer or internal striker? W/ hammer, do you want a decocker SA/DA pistol so you can carry chambered and uncocked but with DA ability (fire without cocking). Are you more comfortable with a revolver? List out pros and cons, needs and wants and find something that best fits your needs.

Will this be your all-purpose handgun (CC, home defense, car, etc.)? If so, you need something compact with decent capacity and decent SD caliber (my XD40sc fits that bill for me). Do you need light and compact for a dedicated CC gun (my 442 or PT709 fit that bill for me)? There are endless possibilities. I've built my collection based on purpose-driven decisions. Some of them I just liked.

Good luck.

#17 ·
Get a good belt designed and manufactured for carry. People will tell you that a 20 dollar belt from Walmart will work just fine but it's simply not true.

#19 ·
You didn't mention the kids' ages, so a "secure" gun lock (not the cheap, easily removed trigger locks) is called for at a minimum. A safe is obviously rmore secure, but costlier.

It sounds like this is your first firearm (?). In that case, a revolver is probably a good choice--simple, reliable. A .357 magnum is a good caliber to start with. You can shoot .38 Specials for training (a pretty effective rounds in itself) and will get you used to shooting a firearm. Once you're comfortable with them, you can step up to the magnums for self defense.

I'd had handguns for years prior to getting my permit, so it was no big deal to me. It sounds like you have a problem on "pulling the trigger" on making the purchase. Find a range where you can rent a handgun and run through a couple of boxes. You may find that a handgun isn't for you and won't have "buyer's regret" by buying something you felt in your heart you didn't want.

#29 ·
You didn't mention the kids' ages, so a "secure" gun lock (not the cheap, easily removed trigger locks) is called for at a minimum.
Yes Joey, OldVet is right. And I can also add that trigger locks, due to their through-the-trigger-guard designs, MUST NEVER BE USED ON A LOADED GUN, as they can (and do) fire the weapon "accidentally" by pulling the trigger back as you are removing the lock itself. They are a no-go.

bladenbullet said:
I'm not going to read this entire thread so I am probably repeating half the posts here...

TRAIN...
This is the most critical, since you will be carrying a deadly weapon in public, and are legally, morally, and financially responsible for each and every bullet fired. So train not only for weapon familiarity and accuracy, but also for safety.

And I should also add that while there are a few good books on concealed carry out there, you really must read one of them from cover to cover.

Probably "The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry" By Ayoob (Amazon.com: The Gun Digest Book Of Concealed Carry (9780896896116): Massad Ayoob: Books) is the best one for the beginner.

-Bill

#20 ·
I'm not trying to start anything, but I don't understand why people get a CCW permit before they get a gun. What is the thinking behind this? I would think that people would want to be familiar and proficient with their firearm before they carry it, and (at least for me) one or two trips to the range doesn't cut it. I'm not flameing anyone who does it that way, to me it just seems like putting the cart before the horse.

#33 ·
No offense everyone is entitled to their opinion, and hopefully we canall accept that.
As far as getting the permit before the gun, there are several reasons.
1. As someone mentioned in some states you can use the permit to purchase the gun without the background check, because they did the check when you got the permit.
2. I know several people that have their permit just so they don't have to worry about transporting the gun to the range. They still transport it unloaded, in a locked case, but if they were to get stopped for something there is no chance of a cop pressing the issue, not that most would.
3. Some people also feel that having the permit is a vote for upholding the second ammendment.

These are all good reasons to get a permit.

As far as what gun the OP should get, I agree revolvers tend to be easier to learn to operate. I also like the fact that I don't have to worry about remembering to release a safety in a stress situation.
The few times I have shot an semi-auto I was always a little apprehensive about whether I put the safety ON, or OFF. It's like, how do I make sure up is safe?

#22 ·
Let me save you a lot of time and money.

Definately get a good safe for storage of your firearm.

Definately teach your family gun safety and get them out there shooting with you, they may need to defend themselves someday. I like to show them what a fast moving bullet can do to large pieces of fruit.

A .38 special/.357 mag revolver is a damn good idea. Reliable and proven they are great starter pistols that will serve you well for many years maybe even generations. Unfortunately it seems that even .38 spl ammo is getting hard to find.

If you are interested in semi-auto pistols just get a GLOCK 19, a large majority of people will agree it is the best all around pistol. Buy as much practice (range/ball/Winchester White Box/Federal Champion/Remington UMC) ammo as you can and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Also be on the look out for self defense ammo, Remington Golden Sabre, Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydra-shok, etc. Pick one and make sure to run a few magazines trough your gun to make sure it works flawlessly, don't wait to field test for when your life depends on it.

Order a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and belt from Crossbreed holsters. Yes, the belt is very important.

Good luck and may the whole pain and expense of geeting your concealed permit end up being a waste of time and money.

joker1

#39 ·
+1. Joker said it all

Definately get a good safe for storage of your firearm.

Definately teach your family gun safety and get them out there shooting with you, they may need to defend themselves someday. I like to show them what a fast moving bullet can do to large pieces of fruit.

A .38 special/.357 mag revolver is a damn good idea. Reliable and proven they are great starter pistols that will serve you well for many years maybe even generations. Unfortunately it seems that even .38 spl ammo is getting hard to find.

If you are interested in semi-auto pistols just get a GLOCK 19, a large majority of people will agree it is the best all around pistol. Buy as much practice (range/ball/Winchester White Box/Federal Champion/Remington UMC) ammo as you can and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Also be on the look out for self defense ammo, Remington Golden Sabre, Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydra-shok, etc. Pick one and make sure to run a few magazines trough your gun to make sure it works flawlessly, don't wait to field test for when your life depends on it.

Order a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and belt from Crossbreed holsters. Yes, the belt is very important.

joker1

#23 ·
You are NOT a loser!

Each of us will go about our self-defense in different ways. The BIG key here is that you are on the right track. You are exercising your 2A rights and letting your congress people know you support the 2nd Ammendment by getting your permit.

Quick advice for you.

1. DEFINITELY purchase a handgun safe. For our first safe, we bought a Center of Mass travel safe, actually a different brand bought at Cabelas, and we keep it between the mattress and boxspring. Low price and keeps it away from the kids and prying/inquisitive eyes. If you have money, there are a lot of great safes out there.

Also, educate your kids on proper gun safety. Corneredcat.com has some GREAT advice on how to do educate your kids and take away the "cool gun" factor.

2. If you are unsure of what gun to buy due to safety and comfort, I suggest either a DAO revolver or a Springfield XD. The XD has a grip safety like the 1911, and a trigger safety like the Glock. I LOVE mine.

3. If you are unsure of what gun to buy because you just like so many of them, I suggest you get the lowest price QUALITY gun you can, meaning no Hi-Point or JA! The Khar CW9 or CW40, the S&W sigma, a couple of Taurus models and there are other choices as well that all come in at $400 or Less. The lowest price means you start carrying immediately and can purchase your NEXT gun sooner!

4. Buy a Crossbreed, Kholster, or similar Tuckable IWB holster, carried where comfortable. [For fantastic and easy concealment] You can always buy more holsters later, but the Crossbreed and similar others ship quickly so you can carry sooner. And get a good gun belt. Yes, the belt is VERY important. I have one from Crossbreed and love it. I have one from a local leather shop and love it. The Beltman gets rave reviews also.

5. Learn how to safely and effectively use your particular weapon. Take lessons if need be at your local range.

Good luck and Welcome to the CCW crowd!

#24 · (Edited)
Not a source of good advice here, as I was given my first gun at 6-7 yoa and my first hand-gun before I was a teenager.

However, be assured many, if not most, of us have a box, or a draw, of holster we never used much -- as we learned what works for us, personally.

And, although, I still have the two .22s (single shot rifle and later the revolver) my grandfather gave me some 60+/- year ago, I've bought, sold, traded, swapped, etc quite a few guns over the years. Although, I have had the same EDC for a couple years now, its the latest in a long line and I may change again.

OIOW, don't sweat it too much. You don't need to get it right the first time.

But welcome aboard. And :congrats:

#27 ·
All the advice here is right on and very helpful. I am so thankful for this forum because these folks are so helpful. But plain and simple......welcome to the world of trial and error of finding the "right" gun fit for YOU.

#30 ·
Droopy gave good advise. I would humbly add a Ruger SP101 2 1/4" to his list of revolvers. :) Perhaps not as beautiful as a S&W, but Less expensive and just as well made. You can find them for under $500.

Keep it secret, keep it safe and practice, practice, practice!

#42 ·
I agree. I just got a Ruger SP101 2 1/4" barrel (with spurred hammer) 6 days ago (my 10th handgun in my current collection) and I must agree that it would be a great 1st gun (or just a great addition to any collection).

You get the flexibility of .38 special and .357 in one weapon. You can learn with 38 and work up to 357 as you get more comfortable with it. You can practice with 38 (cheaper).

It is heavier, but helps with recoil and can still be carried IWB or OWB very easy. I can even pocket carry it (I wear dockers with pleats and deep pockets).

357 is a great SD and HD caliber, and 38+P isn't shabby. Everybody should have a snubby in their collection, might as well get one with 357/38 capability.

Lots of great knowlegable and experienced folks here and you've gotten great advice from them to help you find what fits you. Look up ranges in your area on the net and rent some guns and go shoot. There's no subsitute for that. Be safe, and good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.

#32 ·
+1 on getting a safe first. This was a requirement for me and my family with small children around.

I received my permit a few weeks ago and have no handgun yet (though I do have one on order from a distributor). I have been around rifles/shotguns/handguns/bows/muzzleloaders all my life and have shot them all, but never owned my OWN handgun. I do have a HD shotgun, etc. So while it may in the minority on this board, I don't personally think it is strange to get your permit first. Like others have said, take the time to find out which piece is best for you.

#35 ·
Not Just You

When I took my CCP class here in Texas, there were several in the class that did not yet have a gun. Not to worry, your first firearm purchase is harder then your first car. Just a few things to think about, I call it the 3 C's
Caliber
Cost
Concealability

You have to decide which of these is the most important. If you want a larger caliber, it'll probably cost a bit more (that includes the ammo) and be a bit harder to conceal. If concealability is the most important, then a smaller caliber weapon that's easier to hide. You get the pricture. Remember, these are generalities (YMMV).

You will absolutely need a good holster, even for pocket carry, and maybe even a good quality belt to hold up your gun, and your pants :gah:

Getting a safe will depend on the ages of your kids, and sometimes local laws. We are empty nesters, so my handgun is on the nightstand in full view, but my grandchildren visit and I have to put the gun up out of reach. If your kids are old enough, take them out shooting so the gun holds no mystery to them and they will be less tempted to play with it if they find it.

So, after you get your permit and have your gun, the absolutely first thing you MUST do, is make a trip to Wally-World for nachos!!:rofl::rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.