Is It Me????

Is It Me????

This is a discussion on Is It Me???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's the first thing you did once you got your carry conceal permit? The reason I ask...I believe I'm only a few days from receiving ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is It Me????

Is It Me????

What's the first thing you did once you got your carry conceal permit? The reason I ask...I believe I'm only a few days from receiving my permit [fingers crossed...Guilford County, NC!!!!]

Well anyway I STILL have not purchased my first firearm. I know that's really sad..Funny thing every night after I read as many threads as possible I feel like I made my mind up... Only to get any one of the local gun shops, and change my mind..Arrgghhh!!! If you would have told 90 days ago I would not have made the purchase by now I would not have believed it myself.

I mean should buy a holster, a gun safe [kids in the house], ..not sure..It feels like I will probably be the first person on this forum to get his/her permit, and not own a firearm at that moment.

Congratulations!

The first thing I did at the mail box when I saw the SLED return address on the envelope... I flexed the envelope back and forth trying to feel for the laminated permit.

Yes I would recommend a safe especially since you have youngin's even if it's one of the small Sentry safes at the box stores for around $100. When your collection grows with rifles and shotguns you can upgrade.

Hi Joey,

To answer your question as to what you should do if you have young kids in your house, and if you also currently have no weapon:

1. DEFINITELY purchase as decent handgun safe [as well as educate your kids on proper gun safety].

2. Purchase a S&W or Taurus DAO .38/.357 revolver [they are dependable, and have much less chance of a ND, very simple to use, and are 99.99% reliable].

3. Buy only .38spl ammo, not .357 mag [With .357mag, there will be far to heavy a recoil in such a light carry gun].

4. By a Crossbread or Kholster Tuckable IWB holster, carried at 4:00 O'clock. [For fantastic and easy concealment]

5. Learn how to safely and effectively use your particular weapon. [Take lessons if need be at your local range].

You will get many other suggestions on best gun/holster/ammo, but the above is what I (and many others) recommend for many inexperienced defensive shooter [others here will probably give suggestions on the best gun to carry based on their much more advanced shooting skills/experience, but these suggestions may be not targeted to a beginner...]

Best Regards,

-Bill

ahhh, dont stress it. Many people get their permits first. They use their permits to buy their firearms with. That way the waiting period is nullified. Some people I know only have their "concealed" permits to buy guns and dont even carry.

I would get a safe.
    I would get a holster. A good quality one.
    I would not stress the firearm part of it.

Once you find that one gun, that one that fits you and you love, the one you dream about at night. You wont have any regrets on getting it. Its a good thing you are taking you time with your decision. Many people fall for the sales pitch only to not love their firearm a few weeks later and wind up selling it or spending more money on something they do love. Hang in there bud.

I know after a few replies..it wasn't that bad!!!

Bill, The Shadow and Avenger,

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I do have quick follow-up question. Assuming you didn't rush out and buy the first handgun you came across.. Do you still carry/own your very first firearm?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Diesel View Post
    What's the first thing you did once you got your carry conceal permit?

It feels like I will probably be the first person on this forum to get his/her permit, and not own a firearm at that moment.
    You're not alone... I had a carry permit for 5 years before I had a handgun of my own.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I do have quick follow-up question. Assuming you didn't rush out and buy the first handgun you came across.. Do you still carry/own your very first firearm?

Yeah I on occasion carry my S&W M&P instead of my usual EDC a 3" 1911. It's a great pistol but slightly bulky with it's double stack magazine compared to a 1911. I carry it when I'm working on cars or when I'll be doing some dirty dusty labor type jobs.

First thing I did. Let's see. I got the phone call. Stopped the car. Told my wife we were going to the sheriff's office instead of home. Drove 20 minutes out of my way to get the permit. Then 20 minutes home. I was happy. I still own my first carry gun, but it's only been a year. Probably sell it eventually, it's not that great.

Definitely get a safe. You'll have to make up your mind on a gun so that you can make up your mind on the holster or several. I have 3 for mine that get regular use, a crossbreed supertuck for IWB, a beltslide for OWB, and a Serpa CQB for OC. Depending on my mood.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

What's the first thing you did once you got your carry conceal permit? The reason I ask...I believe I'm only a few days from receiving my permit [fingers crossed...Guilford County, NC!!!!]

Well anyway I STILL have not purchased my first firearm. I know that's really sad..Funny thing every night after I read as many threads as possible I feel like I made my mind up... Only to get any one of the local gun shops, and change my mind..Arrgghhh!!! If you would have told 90 days ago I would not have made the purchase by now I would not have believed it myself.

I mean should buy a holster, a gun safe [kids in the house], ..not sure..It feels like I will probably be the first person on this forum to get his/her permit, and not own a firearm at that moment.
    I didnt. I was still trying out guns when mine came. Why is it 'sad?' I think it's more important to make a good decision.

What's the rush? Do you have a list of guns you are considering? Have you rented/fired them? You can and should (IMO) have some safe storage for your gun ASAP since you have kids, for when you do get it. Nothing should be affecting that.

Holster? It's my understanding that that is a 'journey.' Pick one, start with that and see how it goes. Expect to make changes. Dont spend tons of money right away.

Slow down....take the time to make good decisions and not unnecessarily waste $.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Hi Joey,

Since I have owned many, many firearms over my life (first one at 10 years old, and I'm now 54), I don't carry the first one I ever owned. But over time, my tastes and needs have changed too (from target shooting, to hunting, to self defense).

Now, with my self defense needs, I cherish safety, simplicity, reliability, and ease of carry. For me, a S&W 442 snubby revolver fits the bill on all of these points, and without having to practice endless drills of one sort or another (even though I personally practice IPSC shooting a lot, but with a [heavy] 4" Python).

For a relatively advanced user, such as myself, a snubby is perfect (but not for shooting competitions!). This is also so for the begginning user as well due to the snubby's inherent simplicity and safety.

However, as many will soon point out here, nothing is perfect, as a snubby is only meant for close-in defense (it is not accurate at medium or long ranges due to its short sight radius), nor does it have a 20 round magazine. But, as most self defense scenarios occur under ten feet or less, and the amount of ammo expended is usually under 5 rounds, this is not a major issue.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Will B. Droopy View Post
    You will get many other suggestions on best gun/holster/ammo, but the above is what I (and many others) recommend for many inexperienced defensive shooter [others here will probably give suggestions on the best gun to carry based on their much more advanced shooting skills/experience, but these suggestions may be not targeted to a beginner...]

Best Regards,

-Bill

As a complete and total beginner, I shot alot of rental guns and chose a semi-auto 9mm....an S&W M&P...maybe not sexy but reliable as heck and easy to handle. It's what fit my hand and pointed best.

It now has a Crimson Trace laser grip and since it's my only gun, I 'still' carry it.

And from everything I've read....with misses and taking more than double taps to *stop* an attacker, and the likelihood of multiple attackers, I feel much better with more than 5 or 6 shots at defensive distances.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

The very first firearm I carried was old 1911 government model. Heavy. Very uncomfortable. My second was a XD, now I carry the XDm. I still own both of those firearms and still shoot them both every time I go out with friends. I shoot my XDm, my EDC, everyday. (working as an instructor has its benefits )

Just because you are looking for your first firearm doesnt mean that is the last firearm you will carry. I carried that first 1911 because it was the only .45 I owned at the time and someone told me that was the only caliber to carry. Being young and naive, I believed him. Your taste and style will change over time. I am now actually reverting (somewhat) back to the 1911 "style" I guess you can say. I am going to start carrying a FNP45. (Hey guys, I know a FNP45 is not the same as a 1911 so back off! I am making that connection for the external hammer and being able to carry condition 1, thats it.)

I know that this is a huge decision you are making, and rightfully so. Dropping serious coin on something like a firearm is daunting your first time. Trust your instincts, buy what you feel is right for YOU. Take advice from people, but make your own informed decision.

I mean should buy a holster, a gun safe [kids in the house], ..not sure.
    With kids in the house, you certainly do need to consider safe storage. IMO, it should be considered anyway, kids or not.

What I would do:
    • Review the difference between a true Safe, and a locked box that has the word "Safe" printed on the user guide. There are many differences.
    • If this were my first gun and I didn't foresee ever having it spawn into a collection, I'd simply get the best 1-2 cu.ft model of safe that I could, and be done with it. ie, a used AMSEC CSC1913, AMSEC BF1716, AMSEC DXE1818, or a safe of similar size/weight/quality.
    • If I saw several more guns coming in the next year or two, I'd spring for a decent full-sized safe, bolt it to the foundation.
    • If I simply wanted basic protection from prying eyes, I'd do a larger GunVault and bolt it securely to the wall.

As for a holster, it'll depend on how you want to carry, your clothing style and how tight/close it fits, whether the laws in your area criminalize the merest sight of your gun. You can try a basic inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster from the corner gun store, to start, then change in the future as you learn about your own issues of carry ergonomics.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

less than 90 days

Joey, if you've been waiting over 10 weeks you may want to call the sherrif's office. I called the office on my 90th day only to find out the deputy had tried to call a completely wrong number for me. My Guilford County permit was acutally ready in 10 weeks but they called the wrong number. Doesn't hurt to check with them. Jim

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar

So you get your permit first, no problem there, your probably not the first person. You'll just be prepared is all. Make that first purchase the right one though, make it the one you want.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links