CCW on water

This is a discussion on CCW on water within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, now that warmer weather is almost starting to show up, how many of you carry when you're out on the water? I really wouldn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW on water

CCW on water

Okay, now that warmer weather is almost starting to show up, how many of you carry when you're out on the water? I really wouldn't want to leave my firearm locked in my vehicle at the boat ramp. Or even a better question, how are the laws relating to having a weapon on your boat, just like it was your vehicle?

2. Remove Ads

You have to go by the State that your floating in, just be careful as when you cross into another State the laws may change. With my CCDW permit I can carry anywhere that is not restricted within the State which includes the water. But since I live in little old Delaware, anytime I go out in the water I have a good chance of hitting Maryland, Pennsylvania or New Jersey, talk about a mishmash of gun laws.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    I do if we are just in our suits we put it in the glove box of the boat its like a safe nice lockable metal door with half inch fiberglass surrounding it yeah nobody's getting in there
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Shooting a animal (wild or not) from a boat (or vehicle) is illegal here in KY. I presume other places too.

However, Wisconsin, requires the gun to be unloaded and cased when the boat motor is running.

A quick scan of MO laws said nothing about boats or watercraft.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    You have to go by the State that your floating in, just be careful as when you cross into another State the laws may change. With my CCDW permit I can carry anywhere that is not restricted within the State which includes the water. But since I live in little old Delaware, anytime I go out in the water I have a good chance of hitting Maryland, Pennsylvania or New Jersey, talk about a mishmash of gun laws.
    Also, watch out for Federal property, parks, and the like, which may extent into waterways and may be a problem State-by-State.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    Shooting a animal (wild or not) from a boat (or vehicle) is illegal here in KY. I presume other places too.

However, Wisconsin, requires the gun to be unloaded and cased when the boat motor is running.

Also, a State-by-State thing.

I've legally float-hunted squirrel & sneak-boat-hunted goose.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post

Y'all can't duck hunt from a floating blind?

Carry on Corp property is prohibited including water ways.

Hunting is different.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Shooting deer or turkey from a boat is illegal in KY. Waterfowl and squirrels are commonly hunted from boats in KY.

I have always carried on a boat. We used to rent houseboats on Dale Hollow when I was a kid. You could be miles and miles from anything, out there alone. My Dad and Grampa always were armed when out on the HB.

Down here, carrying while boating is fine, if you have a CHL. I carry while fishing.

I'm not sure if lawful concealed carry (without a CHL) in a "motor vehicle" would extend to boats.

Only two times I don't carry.....in the shower....and sleeping, and the piece is never far away then!
    Most people go through life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem! Ronald Reagan

Well, if I'm wearing the Speedo, it's definitely the Ruger LCP... (Okay, that be a big negative on the Speedo's.)

Anyways, usually when I'm on the water it's because I'm either fishing or on a float trip and the order of the day is baggy shorts, usually of the cargo pocket nature. Either way I can pocket carry my Stainless SP-101 or my XD9sc or the LCP. No problem with any of those three guns in a pair of loose fitting short.

If I'm fishing I don't bother with a water proof type container. Just a regular pocket holster in my front pocket. If I'm on a float trip and plan on swimming or chance of being in the water, I'll secure the pistol in an Aloksak ziploc bag and store it in my buttoned up cargo pocket. No problem keeping the XD9sc dry with that method on several occasions of being in the water with the gun, and the Aloksak bag is much more durable than a regular Hefty or Glad ziploc.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Be careful in TN. TVA is a law until themselves. Neither Federal or State Laws apply on TVA waters (which is most of the lakes in TN). I have never been able to get a definitive readout from them. They have their own laws and their own LEAs.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Get something little and all stainless.

State laws have been covered so here is my $.02 on the federal side. There isn't any federal law prohibiting the carry (concealed or not) a firearm on a vessel.

Once you are outside state waters (3nm offshore) you are solely within federal jurisdiction (although some states have their own EEZ that extends past that but doesn't have anything to do with firearms).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links