KY, TN, and NC Carry

This is a discussion on KY, TN, and NC Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The last weekend in April I'll be taking a week off of work and driving from WI to TN for a vacation to the Great ...

Thread: KY, TN, and NC Carry

KY, TN, and NC Carry

The last weekend in April I'll be taking a week off of work and driving from WI to TN for a vacation to the Great Smoky Mountains. On the way there, we will probably stop at Cave City, KY to spend a day at Mammoth Cave. We will be staying in TN, but since the park is in both TN and NC, we might end up being in NC a bit as well.

I have permits to carry in all the states, except WI and IL of course.

I can read all of the laws from Handgunlaw.us or USACarry.com, but I was hoping somebody could post here with the laws in a way that's easier to understand. I hate reading actual laws and trying to understand what they say. So a quick list of where I can and can't carry from you guys would be great! I will also make sure to print off and bring with a copy of all states laws that I'll be traveling through.

Also, anyone have a link or at least the name of a good (small) vehicle safe that can be hooked with a cable to the car? I won't be able to carry in any of the buildings at the park, so I'll want something safe to leave my gun in. I also won't be carrying in Mammoth Cave, since I'll probably have to go in a building to get tour tickets and everything.

Thanks for the help :)
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Great! Those safes are exactly what I was looking for.

As far as Cherokee, it was actually a place I was considering staying until I realized NC gun laws aren't as friendly as TN. Plus, it's a further drive! Are you saying I should go there?
    Logan - NRA Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    Great! Those safes are exactly what I was looking for.

As far as Cherokee, it was actually a place I was considering staying until I realized NC gun laws aren't as friendly as TN. Plus, it's a further drive! Are you saying I should go there?
    To make it a bit clearer -- Cherokee is Native-American-Tribal-Lands. Neither State's laws apply.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

To make it a bit clearer -- Cherokee is Native-American-Tribal-Lands. Neither State's laws apply.
    Haha okay that clears it up. You said "watch out" which made me think to avoid it, but with the link it was about about things to do there so I was confused!
    Logan - NRA Member

VIP Member
    I assumed that the, "Most people don't realize that Ashland borders another country" sort gave it away.

Last I checked they are very serious about being "another country."

I have heard of both pro-RKBA and very anti-RKBA encounters w/ the Tribal Police. If visiting, I try to get something in writing.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

AzB
    So what are those laws?

I looked online and saw a lot of conflicting reports, but little or no written laws.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Contact the Chief of Police. The last person that I know that contacted them said they go by NC laws and CC is OK. An email or phone call should clear it up. Dave is accurate that they are their own little world though, so a quick check might be a good idea. An email will give you a paper trail.

For NC.

7. Even with a permit, you may not carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:

a. Any law enforcement or correctional facility;
    b. Any space occupied by state or federal employees;
    c. A financial institution;
    d. Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a statement by the controller of the premises;
    e. Educational property;
    f. Areas of assemblies, parades, funerals, or demonstrations;
    g. Places where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed;
    h. State occupied property;
    i. Any state or federal courthouse;
    j. Any area prohibited by federal law;
    k. Any local government building if the local government has adopted an ordinance and posted signs prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons.

From here.

http://www.ncsheriffs.org/images/200...Laws%20Pub.pdf
    Last edited by chiefjason; March 18th, 2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: add
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links