One small victory

One small victory

This is a discussion on One small victory within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever since I got my XD40sc for Christmas my siter in law wigs out whenever it's brought up in conversation. She's normally a very level-headed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One small victory

One small victory

Ever since I got my XD40sc for Christmas my siter in law wigs out whenever it's brought up in conversation. She's normally a very level-headed individual, but not when guns come into the picture. She even told me not too long ago, that just the sight of a gun makes her skin crawl. ***?

Anyways, last night we were discussing around the in-law's dinner table our upcoming trip to FL for a week vacation. This sister in law turns to me and sternly requests that I vow to prtect her 3y/o (she and her b/f are not going on the trip). I tell her of course, and she asks if i'm taking my gun. In a split second dicision (thinking that if I say yes she'll freak out), I say yes - so long as it's permitted by my other sister in law (her house in FL).

**I'll interject into my own story at this point that the only reason I might not be taking my firearm is because it was determined a few months ago that without locking up my gun at night in the SIL's gun vault - since there's no more room in it - that she felt it might be unsafe with so many kids in the house. But, since then it's been determined that my wife and I will have our own room, and that if I were to take the gun it would of course be in a locked case to fly anyways. Meaning, I could lock it up at night.**

Story continued...

She leans over and says, 'just take it anyways, who cares what she thinks'. Wow, caught me off gaurd. I then asked her if she even knew that I had it on me at the moment, she said no. I asked if she knew I had it on me last Sunday when we were all around eachother for 5-7hrs, she said no. My point being that nobody in the family will notice that I have it when it is on me, and at night I can lock it up if those are the house rules. I made that last point loud enough for the table to hear - mainly my wife and my MIL.. My wife is still trying to adjust to me carrying 100% of the time, and my MIl for some reason thinks it's wierd to carry in FL yet is 100% pro carrying here and wants to shoot my gun.. She's nuts.

Anyways, the point being that I expected her to freak out and protest against me taking my gun on the trip. But instead she recommended even sneaking it in the house regardless of what the other sister said.

Pretty cool IMO.

-Jason
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Ox
    ...Women.

Great beings they are, I love em'.
    NRA Member

They're all nuts.
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Ox
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    They're all nuts.
    Haha, can't argue with that bruvs'.
    NRA Member

Cars kill more people per year than guns, yet people don't freak out at the sight of a car. People have nothing to fear from a gun. It is an inanimate object with no ill intentions, thoughts, or motivations. It isn't going to magically jump out of a holster and start puking lead. What people should have to fear is other PEOPLE who have ill intentions, thoughts, or motivations. If all guns magically disappeared tomorrow, the bad people would still have their ill intentions and would use rocks, sticks, etc. Bad people will do bad things by whatever means they can obtain...it is encumbant upon good people to be prepared to defend themselves by whatever means they can obtain as well. It's the nature of people, and it's been that was since way before guns were invented. Guns didn't cause the problem.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Small victories are worth having.

If you get the chance teach your SIL to shoot.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Sounds like she has been talking to Rosie O'Donnell. Guns are evil, nobody should have a gun..........................EXCEPT her body guard.

Well, good luck, hope that crack in the hardcore attitude continues to widen to your benefit.

Have fun in FL!!

Why on earth do all these people know that you are armed?

She is right about one thing, who cares what they think, but truth is they should not even know.

It's my decision to let who I want know that i'm armed, if situations dictate. I felt like bringing it up, and it ended up steghtening my point.
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

I digress, but I used to say "....makes my skin crawl", but my father-in-law would always interject..."When your A..H... passes your nose, how does it smell?" Cured me of using that particular phrase.

Good for your sis....mine still won't see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Why on earth do all these people know that you are armed?

She is right about one thing, who cares what they think, but truth is they should not even know.
    Everyone's decision to carry is a personal one. What they carry, when they carry and who they inform are all personal decisions. There is no one set of "rules" for carrying (not counting state laws). Concealed carry is going to vary as much as people vary.
    IMHO
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Wow that's great!
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Everyone's decision to carry is a personal one. What they carry, when they carry and who they inform are all personal decisions. There is no one set of "rules" for carrying (not counting state laws). Concealed carry is going to vary as much as people vary.
    IMHO
    That's all well and good until the bad guy is holding an AK on you, and at that point the mouthy sister in law screams "SAMI has a gun, use your gun and kill that guy".

Weird to carry in Florida? LOL

Bring your MIL to Florida for a year or two. I'm willing to bet she will change her mind in a hurry. :)

^ I mentioned to my family that Florida is the 'gunshine state'. My BIL got a kick out of that. For some reason my MIL just thinks it's 'wierd' to take my firearm on vacation. I explained to her my thoughts on being targeted as a naive group of tourists, and also that the term 'wierd' didn't sit well with me.. That perhaps she could use the word 'different'. I mentioned to her the seatbelt analogy, and she understands it from that point of view.
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links