Mind Your Own Business Social Worker! - Page 2

Mind Your Own Business Social Worker!

This is a discussion on Mind Your Own Business Social Worker! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun ownership has nothing to do with being a good parent...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mind Your Own Business Social Worker!

Senior Moderator
    Gun ownership has nothing to do with being a good parent
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

My kids are now grown, but when they were younger (around 13) I introduced them to firearms. I was active LEO at the time and would come and go from the house everyday armed, so they know what guns were at an early age. By the time the were 14 they could shoot, and clean the weapons very well, and respected them fully.
    The still enjoy shooting today.

Gun ownership has nothing to do with being a good parent
    It seems to me that gun ownership would make you a better parent. You're willing and able to defend your home and family against miscreants who violate your rights to a peaceful existence. Dial 911? Puhlease! I live in the rural South. LEO response could be anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 hours. Even 3 minutes is enough time for all of us to be very dead. As it's been said, "When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away." But I digress...

My wife constantly tells me she loves to see me put my gun on to go out with her. She thinks I'm wonderful to be willing to confront and be able to impede or stop a would be BG. I've stepped between her and a (probably) vagrant (but you never know) looking for a handout several times. Although she also packs, I'm the main defense. She's a willing and very capable back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My doctor never asks,I shoot at the range with him every week,and he allows patients to carry concealed in his practice,I took my shirt off in front of the nurse while carrying my 1911 and she didn't even bat an eye
    Now, see, here's the whole problem. You WANT her to be batting her eyes at you. If she isn't, well...

Weight Loss | 24 Hour Fitness | It's time for fitness on your terms

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    The handguns I have in my condo are loaded with one in the pipe.

Lock them up? If I kept them locked up I wouldn't bother to own them. It's one thing to keep my long guns locked up, but the pistols are worthless if they aren't ready for use.

P.S. There are no kids in the house.
    My bad, I assumed everyone would know my post was relating to children being in the house, seeing as the thread about adoption services asking about guns in the house of propestive parents. And I also assumed everyone would realize I was talking about houses with children, because everyone would probably note the previous post stated "pediatrician" (read-doctor for children), and my post in reference to that also said "pediatrician".

Obvisouly I was wrong, as everyone must not have caught those points. In a house with no children, as you state you have, I agree with you statements.

However, to eleviate my earlier assumption we are all talking about houses with children, since that is what the thread indirectly relates to, but yet you have none in yours; Let my clarify-my comments were related to being asked about guns in houses with children by child doctors, commenly refered to as pediatricians, and them asking questions about ownership, and storage of firearms in houses with children. To avoid another assumption of mine, let me clarify-all children, but specifically younger children.

Aslo, so we are clear, I am not suggesting locking up everygun in the house, just any or all guns the adults do not have control over that the children might gain unsupervised access too. I assume this would be common sense, but we see where my last assumption that referring to a pediatrician would lead everyone to realize I was refering to household involving children, got me.

My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Our pediatrician asks during our yearly check ups.
    Did you ever ask why?

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Our pediatrician asks during our yearly check ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Did you ever ask why?
    The question is an agenda thing with the American Asoc. of Pediatricians, I think. The last time we were in the Ped's office it was on a questionary I was handed; I did not answer and told matthew that if asked he was to tell them to ask me that he did not know (OK, I told him to lie!!). If theyt asked me either before or after asking him; I was going to tell them either "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!" Or ask if they were giving guns away free. If that was true I would take anything in .357 wheeel gun!!

They did not ask me or my son. I also told my wife that if asked she could use either of the above; I also told her to only take Rugers, Taurus, S&W and Colt. I also said I would prefer it be under a 3 inch barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I had one ask several years ago. We walked out without answering and went to another physician.
    My wife is a Ped and asks the question. We have 2 kids and well I post here.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    My wife is a Ped and asks the question.
    Why does she ask?

My wife is a Ped and asks the question. We have 2 kids and well I post here.
    Good for her. What business does she have asking? What does it have to do with treating a child?

My answer: none at all and nothing.

Does she ask about her patient's families's sexual activities, sports interests and television viewing habits? If having knowledge of a gun in the house is pertinent to treating a child, these surely would be as well.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My brother and his wife foster a child here in Florida. The agency has told them, the gun and the ammo must be in separate ends of the house. I don't if that is the agents/social workers opine or the rules but it's stupid and not their place or like another poster said; ask about tools, etc...

Glad this passed and I know my brother will.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I've always been tempted to answer "No, it is here with me, right now, and it is most certainly loaded"

VIP Member
    Just more government intrusion.
    Fools with nothing better to do than believe they have to socially engineer society, to perpetuate their existence.

I got no use for this!!!
    Terry Radzwion

Liberals are like Slinkies…Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

My wife is a Ped and asks the question.
    So, I didn't hear. Why does she ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Good for her. What business does she have asking? What does it have to do with treating a child?

My answer: none at all and nothing.

Does she ask about her patient's families's sexual activities, sports interests and television viewing habits? If having knowledge of a gun in the house is pertinent to treating a child, these surely would be as well.
    She wants the child to be safe and asks about many risks.

She asks about guns in the home, if they are there she asks about a safe (to educate). She asks if they wear helmets when they ride a bike/motorcycle, about swimming pools, if they are in booster seats, if the parents smoke, who all lives in the home, and when they get to be about 12 she starts asking if they are sexually active.

It isn't about judging, it is education the parents that say things like... "I don't understand what smoking has to do with his allergies, I mean I smoke, but not at home, I just smoke in the car and stuff." or the ones that bring in their 180lbs 12 yo daughter because she is "starting" to gain some weight only to find out she is eating "Sour Cream with Salt" as an afternoon snack or the ones that want a new refill of narcotics for their kid because they "spilled" the script that was fill yesterday.

If you have kids... you should remember that it was harder for you to get your CHP than it was to have a kid... they even let felon's have them. Not all gun owners are responsible, not all gun owners teach their kids about the 4 laws, not all gun owners are smart enough to think through the consequences of their actions.

Your doctors may be anti's, but they are looking for common risks that parent should be aware of so they don't have to treat the kid for a gunshot wound from a unsecured gun, or brain damage from falling off a bike or "near drowning", or a broken neck in a car accident, or acute asthma, or do a sex abuse exam because they were molested by the MRDD cousin or raped by a half brother, 6 days out of prison for sexual assault (my wife had that one last week).

If asked you could say "Yes, I actually carry, I believe in a person right to defend them self. I plan on enjoying the sport with them as they grow up. But I teach my child about gun safety and I kept them properly stored so my child doesn't have access when I am not present."

Or even a short "Yep, they're secured from the kid."

Teaching a kid to lie to a doctor so they don't find something out may keep them from getting proper treatment in the future. You would be amazed how many virgins get STD's and get pregnant these days.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links