Mind Your Own Business Social Worker!

This is a discussion on Mind Your Own Business Social Worker! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NC Buckeye She wants the child to be safe and asks about many risks. She asks about guns in the home, if ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mind Your Own Business Social Worker!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    She wants the child to be safe and asks about many risks.

She asks about guns in the home, if they are there she asks about a safe (to educate). She asks if they wear helmets when they ride a bike/motorcycle, about swimming pools, if they are in booster seats, if the parents smoke, who all lives in the home, and when they get to be about 12 she starts asking if they are sexually active.

It isn't about judging, it is education the parents that say things like... "I don't understand what smoking has to do with his allergies, I mean I smoke, but not at home, I just smoke in the car and stuff." or the ones that bring in their 180lbs 12 yo daughter because she is "starting" to gain some weight only to find out she is eating "Sour Cream with Salt" as an afternoon snack or the ones that want a new refill of narcotics for their kid because they "spilled" the script that was fill yesterday.

If you have kids... you should remember that it was harder for you to get your CHP than it was to have a kid... they even let felon's have them. Not all gun owners are responsible, not all gun owners teach their kids about the 4 laws, not all gun owners are smart enough to think through the consequences of their actions.

Your doctors may be anti's, but they are looking for common risks that parent should be aware of so they don't have to treat the kid for a gunshot wound from a unsecured gun, or brain damage from falling off a bike or "near drowning", or a broken neck in a car accident, or acute asthma, or do a sex abuse exam because they were molested by the MRDD cousin or raped by a half brother, 6 days out of prison for sexual assault (my wife had that one last week).

If asked you could say "Yes, I actually carry, I believe in a person right to defend them self. I plan on enjoying the sport with them as they grow up. But I teach my child about gun safety and I kept them properly stored so my child doesn't have access when I am not present."

Or even a short "Yep, they're secured from the kid."

Teaching a kid to lie to a doctor so they don't find something out may keep them from getting proper treatment in the future. You would be amazed how many virgins get STD's and get pregnant these days.

Good post, good points.

If having knowledge of a gun in the house is pertinent to treating a child
    --A good pediatrician cares about the health and safety of the children they treat, and anyone who can't understand that having a gun in the home around children could be hazardous if not properly stored, controlled, and education is used, is someone I don't want my kids around.

Hey guys, I'm as pro gun as they get, I teach concealed carry classes, and I have four chilren, who all shoot well, and handle guns safer than most adults, and I don't care if the pediatricain asks if I own guns.

you can argue the it ain't none of thier buisness all you want, but if simply asking that one question makes just one person (maybe a new parent who has a child but hasn't thought about this yet??) realize they may need to store guns differently, and therefore possibly prevents just one accidental child shooting that we here about too often, then it was worth asking everytime and upsetting everybody who thinks it ain't right off.

I'm not a bit sorry or concerned if you don't like something that may save a childs life, get over yourselves. There is no harm in a pediatrician asking, some people just read the extreme into everything.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    If this is stopped dead in it's tracks. It could go onto Grandparents next. Who knows.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    it is usually followed up with, don't leave guns lying around, be sure to keep firearms locked up, teach your children not to play with them, etc........

What wrong with that, I state the same things in the Concealed carry classes I teach.
    The differences are...

1} You are trained to provide the relevant information
    2} The people came to you for the express purpose of obtaining that information
    3} Your files of client information are not about to be seized by the federal government for who knows what

PM
    My issue with the questionary I was given is the only safety issue questions was the one about guns n the home. It did not ask about helmets; car-seats (etal); pools and/or lifevests. If my child has a respitory (sp?) issue ask about smoking OK; I could be stupid or not care. The issue I have is it was a one issue question.

Buckeye; happy you wife asks many safety issue question.

She asks about guns in the home, if they are there she asks about a safe (to educate). She asks if they wear helmets when they ride a bike/motorcycle, about swimming pools, if they are in booster seats, if the parents smoke, who all lives in the home, and when they get to be about 12 she starts asking if they are sexually active.

It isn't about judging, it is education the parents that say things like... "I don't understand what smoking has to do with his allergies, I mean I smoke, but not at home, I just smoke in the car and stuff." or the ones that bring in their 180lbs 12 yo daughter because she is "starting" to gain some weight only to find out she is eating "Sour Cream with Salt" as an afternoon snack or the ones that want a new refill of narcotics for their kid because they "spilled" the script that was fill yesterday.

If you have kids... you should remember that it was harder for you to get your CHP than it was to have a kid... they even let felon's have them. Not all gun owners are responsible, not all gun owners teach their kids about the 4 laws, not all gun owners are smart enough to think through the consequences of their actions.

Your doctors may be anti's, but they are looking for common risks that parent should be aware of so they don't have to treat the kid for a gunshot wound from a unsecured gun, or brain damage from falling off a bike or "near drowning", or a broken neck in a car accident, or acute asthma, or do a sex abuse exam because they were molested by the MRDD cousin or raped by a half brother, 6 days out of prison for sexual assault (my wife had that one last week).

If asked you could say "Yes, I actually carry, I believe in a person right to defend them self. I plan on enjoying the sport with them as they grow up. But I teach my child about gun safety and I kept them properly stored so my child doesn't have access when I am not present."

Or even a short "Yep, they're secured from the kid."

Teaching a kid to lie to a doctor so they don't find something out may keep them from getting proper treatment in the future. You would be amazed how many virgins get STD's and get pregnant these days.
    I hear what you are saying about MEDICAL issues, but your wife would be my grandchildren's (my children are grown) physician about 30 seconds after she started asking questions not directly connected to diagnosing whatever they were being examined/treated for.

I have little use for the AMA, CDC and others who want to ban firearms as a public health issue, whatever excuse the physicians use for asking about gun ownership. I am sure your wife is a well-meaning lady, but firearms in a house are simply none of her business, IMHO.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    you can argue the it ain't none of thier buisness all you want, but if simply asking that one question makes just one person (maybe a new parent who has a child but hasn't thought about this yet??) realize they may need to store guns differently, and therefore possibly prevents just one accidental child shooting that we here about too often, then it was worth asking everytime and upsetting everybody who thinks it ain't right off.
    That's the same logic used by the Brady Bunch and other anti-gun groups - if it saves just one life, it's all worth it. That's second only to "we are doing it for the children."

I don't agree with you at all.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I hear what you are saying about MEDICAL issues, but your wife would be my grandchildren's (my children are grown) physician about 30 seconds after she started asking questions not directly connected to diagnosing whatever they were being examined/treated for.
    The questions are only asked during a well check. I guess you don't want her to talk to the child at all huh? After all the child is not being treated FOR anything.

You list your occupation as a retired minister... Did you keep your discussions to only saving their souls or did you discuss their mental and physical well being?

The questions are only asked during a well check. I guess you don't want her to talk to the child at all huh? After all the child is not being treated FOR anything.
    Never said anything like that, my friend.

You list your occupation as a retired minister... Did you keep your discussions to only saving their souls or did you discuss their mental and physical well being?
    Depends, but I have NEVER, in 45 years of ministry, EVER asked someone about firearms in their homes. It's simply isn't germain to the discussion. Same deal with a doctor, IMHO.

I have talked guns in an social setting with folks I knew shared a common interest with me.

I will conceed that if the doctor/family relationship is a long one, the subject may be appropriate, but on a first visit, not a chance. I don't care how sweet, nice and committed your wife is (and I am certain she is all of those), if she started asking about keeping firearms in my home on an initial visit, that would be the last visit, right after I told her it was none of her business.

We are never going to agree, or convince each other, so lets just drop it, OK?

[QUOTE=Majorlk;1547762]Never said anything like that, my friend.

"Depends, but I have NEVER, in 45 years of ministry, EVER asked someone about firearms in their homes. It's simply isn't germain to the discussion. "

So in 45 years you never talked to anyone who was suicidal or had a family member who was suicidal. In such an instance I believe having guns in a house would be very germain to the conversation. If you never talked to any suicidal people you were very lucky. If you did, and did not ask about weapons, did you really do everything you could?
    I do not believe the vast majority of these pediatricians are asking this question to keep records and turn us over to the government, but rather to keep the children safe. This is just one more oppertunity to remind us to keep our guns safe. How many times have I seen on this forum and other forums reminders to keep our guns safe? I don't believe that safty can be stressed too often.

[QUOTE=sfry;1547885]
    So in 45 years you never talked to anyone who was suicidal or had a family member who was suicidal.
    Never had a suicidal family member. Since I do not have a degree or speciality in dealing with suicidal personalities, with a couple of exceptions I have referred such persons to people who are trained to deal with them.

In such an instance I believe having guns in a house would be very germain to the conversation. If you never talked to any suicidal people you were very lucky. If you did, and did not ask about weapons, did you really do everything you could?
    (1) see previous response; (2) I did what I felt was best for the person involved.

I do not believe the vast majority of these pediatricians are asking this question to keep records and turn us over to the government,
    Where did I say they did? I said, IMHO, it's none of their business.

but rather to keep the children safe. This is just one more oppertunity to remind us to keep our guns safe. How many times have I seen on this forum and other forums reminders to keep our guns safe? I don't believe that safty can be stressed too often.
    You have your beliefs and I have mine. Let's leave it at that.

So she believes children are safer in homes with no guns? Guns are a risk?

That's the same logic used by the Brady Bunch and other anti-gun groups - if it saves just one life, it's all worth it. That's second only to "we are doing it for the children."

I don't agree with you at all.
    I do understand where you are coming from in that I don't agree with you at all either.

This is all getting off topic anyway, so I will leave with we agree to disagree on this, take care.

My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    So she believes children are safer in homes with no guns?
    No, she believes that kids are safer in homes where they don't have access to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Guns are a risk?
    I hope so. That is why I carry one.

We are never going to agree, or convince each other, so lets just drop it, OK?
    I have no issues dropping it, but if someone comes to you and says they are suicidal or don't feel they can adequately distinguish between right from wrong or determine the consequences of their actions that you would consider asking about firearms. It might stop a tragedy.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I was seeing one pain management doctor and he sent me to a physical therapist
    that had no gun signs in their office.I pointed out to the secretary that the signs were company policy not state law.She called home office and whoever she talked to said it was state law ,I assured they were wrong and promptly called my
    doctor and asked him to send me to a therapist that wasn't anti gun.I had a problem supporting a company financially when they don't support my political views .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links