Mind Your Own Business Social Worker!

This is a discussion on Mind Your Own Business Social Worker! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NC Buckeye No, she believes that kids are safer in homes where they don't have access to guns. Didn't you say she ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mind Your Own Business Social Worker!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    No, she believes that kids are safer in homes where they don't have access to guns.
    Didn't you say she asked if there were guns in the home, not if the kids could play with them?

Maybe I misread your post.

Do pediatricians ask if the parents are illegal aliens? That could lead to family instability?
    Do pediatricians ask if gay parents engage in "risky" behavior?
    I'll bet not.
    These examples are too politically charged, but it's okay to single out a segment of society (gun owners.)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    you can argue the it ain't none of thier buisness all you want, but if simply asking that one question makes just one person (maybe a new parent who has a child but hasn't thought about this yet??) realize they may need to store guns differently, and therefore possibly prevents just one accidental child shooting that we here about too often, then it was worth asking everytime and upsetting everybody who thinks it ain't right off.

I'm not a bit sorry or concerned if you don't like something that may save a childs life, get over yourselves. There is no harm in a pediatrician asking, some people just read the extreme into everything.
    You sir, are the one who deserves no sympathy and needs to get over your notion that a quick lecture at the local doctor will actually accomplish anything if given to an irresponsible person. It is an intrusion for them to ask, just like all the other little intrusions in the name of safety. This logic of yours is how freedom is lost and facilitates a transition to a nanny state full of dependent subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Didn't you say she asked if there were guns in the home, not if the kids could play with them?

Maybe I misread your post.

Do pediatricians ask if the parents are illegal aliens? That could lead to family instability?
    Do pediatricians ask if gay parents engage in "risky" behavior?
    I'll bet not.
    These examples are too politically charged, but it's okay to single out a segment of society (gun owners.)
    Immigration status is normally known due to payment issues. Parent sexual risks do not affect the child. And are there guns in the home are the first question, if the answer is no it is the last, if it is yes it is the start of a short discussion.

It is sorta like a single guy asking a woman if she is single. If she says no it is the end of the discussion. If she says yes the conversation continues regardless of her interest.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    You sir, are the one who deserves no sympathy and needs to get over your notion that a quick lecture at the local doctor will actually accomplish anything if given to an irresponsible person. It is an intrusion for them to ask, just like all the other little intrusions in the name of safety. This logic of yours is how freedom is lost and facilitates a transition to a nanny state full of dependent subjects.
    Do you actually think they write the answer down? Or attempt to convince you sell your guns?

The follow-up questions to do you have a pool are... 1) Can you swim 2) Is it gated? 3) Do you know that you need to have an adult present? 4) Do you wear sun screen?

Do you actually think they write the answer down? Or attempt to convince you sell your guns?

The follow-up questions to do you have a pool are... 1) Can you swim 2) Is it gated? 3) Do you know that you need to have an adult present? 4) Do you wear sun screen?
    Something Daddy Mac told me once -

Advice: wise men don't need it, and fools don't heed it.

GM
    I could never have imagined that they asked about gun ownership; that was really scary. I am glad that the legislatures did the right thing
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Immigration status is normally known due to payment issues. Parent sexual risks do not affect the child. And are there guns in the home are the first question, if the answer is no it is the last, if it is yes it is the start of a short discussion.
    I think I'm just going to take the simple way out and answer no if the question ever comes up. I think the doctor means well, but I'm just going to end up taking it as an insult, which will end badly for both us; the doctor will lose a patient, and I'll have to find another doctor.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Do you actually think they write the answer down?
    Worse, they enter it into a computer.
    Where it flies around until it lands in some government computer.
    More so now that the government will be the watchdog on health care.

I don't mean to bust on you, but since you have direct contact with the pediatrician, you're a valuable source. Thanks for your honesty, and you didn't have to throw the wife under the bus either.

But:
    Parent sexual risks do not affect the child.
    Sure it does. Daddy brings a pedophile home/ or mommy. The horror stories are all over the news.
    Gays and Lesbians are now a "protected" minority.
    But a gun in a safe is a lesser risk IMO.

Does she ask muslim mothers if they have a suicide vest in the house?
    Okay, that's a bit over the top, but my point is, if you are going to ask some questions, don't skip the politically incorrect ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Sure it does. Daddy brings a pedophile home/ or mommy. The horror stories are all over the news.
    Gays and Lesbians are now a "protected" minority.
    But a gun in a safe is a lesser risk IMO.
    See my who is in the home post earlier.

I have no issues dropping it, but if someone comes to you and says they are suicidal or don't feel they can adequately distinguish between right from wrong or determine the consequences of their actions that you would consider asking about firearms. It might stop a tragedy.
    I may be confused with all this but, was any of that said at the pediatricians office?
    I have to agree that if there is no indication of firearms negligence, it's not a relevant issue to be asked. The CDC/AMA DOES have an agenda with regards to firearms. Unless its asked along with all the other possible risks, and that would have to include, are there any sharp knives in the house, etc., it should not be brought up at all. And then, where does it end? You can't eliminate EVERY risk simply by asking about it. I thought the specialty of the social worker was to determine the parents character and responsibilty and general common sense.
    Just my .02 worth

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I may be confused with all this but, was any of that said at the pediatricians office?
    I have to agree that if there is no indication of firearms negligence, it's not a relevant issue to be asked. The CDC/AMA DOES have an agenda with regards to firearms. Unless its asked along with all the other possible risks, and that would have to include, are there any sharp knives in the house, etc., it should not be brought up at all. And then, where does it end? You can't eliminate EVERY risk simply by asking about it. I thought the specialty of the social worker was to determine the parents character and responsibilty and general common sense.
    Just my .02 worth
    Suicidal... Common in teen aged girls, so yes.
    Unable to tell right from wrong... Common in young children
    Unable to identify the consequences of their actions... Many boys don't figure this one out until their early 20's.

All three have increased frequency with the parents that were mentioned above. But the pastor said he had never asked if there are guns in the home and all three topics are ones that people would likely discuss with their pastor if there were experiencing and would be made worse if a gun was available.

Suicidal... Common in teen aged girls, so yes.
    Unable to tell right from wrong... Common in young children
    Unable to identify the consequences of their actions... Many boys don't figure this one out until their early 20's.

All three have increased frequency with the parents that were mentioned above. But the pastor said he had never asked if there are guns in the home and all three topics are ones that people would likely discuss with their pastor if there were experiencing and would be made worse if a gun was available.
    Bullhockey.. there have been guns in households for a couple of hundred years in this country now. Why is it NOW all of a sudden a factor in what you are talking about? It's a social problem, and attacking or focusing on firearms in the home is not the answer!
    As a boy, I did'nt figure out the consequences of my actions till I was in my 30s and I still question some things I do and others should'nt be held responsible for my shortcomings. Lets get away from this nanny state mentality and be responsible for our own actions and be allowed to express them as long as they are legal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links