Mind Your Own Business Social Worker!

This is a discussion on Mind Your Own Business Social Worker! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great new Florida law that protects all gun owners, especially CWP holders! TALLAHASSEE — Adoption agencies soon will be legally prevented from asking prospective parents ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Great new Florida law that protects all gun owners, especially CWP holders!

TALLAHASSEE — Adoption agencies soon will be legally prevented from asking prospective parents if they have firearms in the house.

The Legislature has passed a bill (HB 315) that prohibits adoption agencies from considering gun ownership in any way when determining a person's suitability to adopt. All applicants still are required to receive a copy of state law regarding safe storage of firearms.

The measure is endorsed by the National Rifle Association and had been sponsored by Republicans, but most Democrats also supported it. Lawmakers say it aligns adoption procedures with existing state law.

The House voted 112-0 in favor Thursday; the Senate voted 38-2.

A spokesman says Gov. Charlie Crist favors the legislature and will sign it

So, were they just asking in the past, or using it as an excuse to decline adoption?

Our pediatrician asks during our yearly check ups.

I agree that gun ownership shouldnt in any way shape or form have any bearing on prospective parents adopting a child the title "Mind your own business social worker" is ...well...yeah... it's kind of their job to NOT mind their own business.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    Great new Florida law that protects all gun owners, especially CWP holders!

TALLAHASSEE — Adoption agencies soon will be legally prevented from asking prospective parents if they have firearms in the house.

The Legislature has passed a bill (HB 315) that prohibits adoption agencies from considering gun ownership in any way when determining a person's suitability to adopt. All applicants still are required to receive a copy of state law regarding safe storage of firearms.

The measure is endorsed by the National Rifle Association and had been sponsored by Republicans, but most Democrats also supported it. Lawmakers say it aligns adoption procedures with existing state law.

The House voted 112-0 in favor Thursday; the Senate voted 38-2.

A spokesman says Gov. Charlie Crist favors the legislature and will sign it
    As it should be...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

More information can be found here.

PM
    When we did our home study I told the Social worker from our agency that I owned long guns and a handgun. I also asked if he wanted to see how the guns were stored; all were in their cases with padlocks, I was not as paranoid at the time; my wife was also not working in the mental health field at the time. Although I was a pastor at the time --- sometimes mental health folks and pastors deal with the same kind of people --- I guess I knew what I was dealing with and do not know what she is dealing with. Any way back to the point of the thread; he (the SW) said he did not need to Kansas and China did not care. Our son happened to be in China; take that how ever you want!!

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Our pediatrician asks during our yearly check ups.
    I had one ask several years ago. We walked out without answering and went to another physician.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

If the questions went like this...

Do you have child locks where you store chemicals?

Do you own guns?
    Do you keep them locked up?

Do you have power tools?
    Do you keep them secured?

Do you have a pool?
    Do you keep it covered?

...it wouldn't bug me so much. However, I'm sure there's the inherent bias in some that if you own guns, the child is at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I had one ask several years ago. We walked out without answering and went to another physician.
    absolutely...well done
    Led By Love Of Country

And I say congratulations to the legislatures for doing the right thing! It is not often I find myself saying that.
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Our pediatrician asked that the first time while I was standing there in uniform with my visible sidearm, so I thought the question was pretty stupid. But that said, I don't care if they ask, because it is usually followed up with, don't leave guns lying around, be sure to keep firearms locked up, teach your children not to play with them, etc........

What wrong with that, I state the same things in the Concealed carry classes I teach.

Social Services asking in reference to a possible adoption is different though.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    If the questions went like this...

Do you have child locks where you store chemicals?

Do you own guns?
    Do you keep them locked up?

Do you have power tools?
    Do you keep them secured?

Do you have a pool?
    Do you keep it covered?

...it wouldn't bug me so much. However, I'm sure there's the inherent bias in some that if you own guns, the child is at risk.
    This is how it was done.

My doctor never asks,I shoot at the range with him every week,and he allows patients to carry concealed in his practice,I took my shirt off in front of the nurse while carrying my 1911 and she didn't even bat an eye
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    With the reputation that Florida's child protective services--or whichever agencies deal in these matters--has, one has to be leery when they start asking any questions. How would one know if one's admittal of possessing firearms would sway their opinion? They proven in the past to be incompetant and irresponisible.

While many are not fond of Gov. Crisp, he has proven to be a staunch supporter of the 2nd Admendment, and the overwhelming vote by the legislature seems to follow suit--as it should be!

Here's a rare one for the elected officials of Florida, who agreed on the right thing and carried through.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    Our pediatrician asked that the first time while I was standing there in uniform with my visible sidearm, so I thought the question was pretty stupid. But that said, I don't care if they ask, because it is usually followed up with, don't leave guns lying around, be sure to keep firearms locked up, teach your children not to play with them, etc........

What wrong with that
    , I state the same things in the Concealed carry classes I teach.

Social Services asking in reference to a possible adoption is different though.
    The handguns I have in my condo are loaded with one in the pipe.

Lock them up? If I kept them locked up I wouldn't bother to own them. It's one thing to keep my long guns locked up, but the pistols are worthless if they aren't ready for use.

P.S. There are no kids in the house.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links