Walmart

This is a discussion on Walmart within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by phreddy Read her employee manual. I see big potential for a lawsuit if she was fired for someone elses actions, even in ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Read her employee manual. I see big potential for a lawsuit if she was fired for someone elses actions, even in a right to work state. Most of the times companies get in trouble in right to work states is when they give a reason for the dismissal. They are covered by the law if they don't give a reason, but when you give a reason, it better be lawful.
    +1.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    wal mart will do what every they want to becouse they have more money that you do. the only way they listen is when you have a lawyer and are taking them to court.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Yea, AZ Husker hit it on the nose!!! I don't think "little" applies anymore I think N. Tijuana fits ! On Sundays 95% of customers speak spanish!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

I can see if Walmart has a policy that forbids an employee from carrying concealed while on the clock. HOWEVER.. if that employee is OFF the clock and coming into the store to shop (A PUBLIC PLACE), and they are not wearing their uniform or their I.D. badge or anything that indicates that they are an employee there, they should have the right to conceal carry just as anyone else.

The way I see it, Walmart is opening themselves up for a law suit.

About the husband (the OP in this case). I don't see where the company policy could apply to him at all. He is not the employee.

Where the one employee he mentioned that got fired because her husband went into the store drunk... she should file a law suit against them. Her husband was the drunk, not her. They should have called the cops on her husband and maybe banned him from the store, but she should not be held responsible for her husbands actions.

If someone is employed there and their spouse commits a crime, and the "employed" has nothing to do with it, who do you think is going to get charged with the crime? The one that committed it. Not the one that had nothing to do with it. Spouses don't automatically go to jail in this society just because the "other half" commits a crime. So should it be with employment also.

I think employers go too far with some of their stupid policies.

Rant Off
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

momike is right, as a former employee of over 6 years I can attest that there is no policy that involves family members, unless the employee is fighting or causing a scene with them while on the clock.
    When off the clock you are allowed to carry if you are doing so legally. I was actually a asset protection associate for 3 years, While carrying on clock, You will be fired on the spot, off the clock it is different.

As everyone is aware walmart has the "states law policy", after that if it is legal they prefer the good old, " IF WE DONT KNOW, WE DONT CARE!!!"

Smile At Will vs Right to Work

Its also interesting that some posters, union?, tend to pretend that the two are the same whereas they are totally different. They are incensed that Walmart employees refuse to believe their BS. Walmart is a big 2A backer and I routinely shop there for their values.

I learned something recently. I work for WM, as a salaried manager. I was informed that because I am technically always on the company dime I cannot carry even when not there for work. i.e. Shopping with my wife for groceries etc.

The paycheck says Walmart Stores Incorporated, but my shopping receipts say Safeway and Target/Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by luvinmyXD View Post
    I learned something recently. I work for WM, as a salaried manager. I was informed that because I am technically always on the company dime I cannot carry even when not there for work. i.e. Shopping with my wife for groceries etc.

The paycheck says Walmart Stores Incorporated, but my shopping receipts say Safeway and Target/Costco.
    Wow, you must make a killing if you get paid for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I'll say it again. If you are not there "representing the store..with a store ID badge on, or uniform/smock on"., i.e., doing your own shopping, their company policy should not apply to you.

Glad I don't work for WM. To me that would be a violation of my Constitutional Rights.

If they are breaking your pay down to 24 hours a day, 365 days a year "on the clock", when do you get to go home?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Baloney

Quote Originally Posted by luvinmyXD View Post

I have no idea of who might have told you that but its baloney. Being "exempt" as a manager only involves overtime pay, "docking" restrictions, minimum salary levels, and pay for the job performed rather than for hours worked. There are a few other minor items of no consequence but why don't you ask the HR Department about that statement and see what they say/do. If that is not a course you want to take, call Wage/Hour confidentially and I guarantee they will handle it very quickly without involving you. If WalMart insists that that is their position then they will owe you overtime for all those hours at the equivalent of your current weekly salary divided by 40 for 168(minus 40) hours for the past 3 years, possibly 5 years and more. And by the way they would apply that to all Walmart managers as well. That would be quite a settlement but it happens all the time for different reasons for W/H violations.

Wow. That got quite a response. I only spoke with the Asset Protection Manager at store level. I should email the regional AP manager. I have a good working relationship with him, and maybe he can clear things up. Might also have to re-read the policy. Pretty sure the way it is written it sounds as if no employee can carry on the premises period at any time. But then I was told hourlies could on their own time. You are right, it does sound hokey.

Gonna look into it further.

Glad I got someone outside the situation to offer thoughts.

Thanks.

If you are in an "at will" state you can be fired for anything unless you can claim to be a protected person. Unless you are working under the protection of a contract or are a protected class you can be fired at will.

I doubt you will be fired for what your hubby does. You may be fired because the person who saw what hubby did doesn't like your perfume though. Or for that matter anything else he might think up.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
    Not ur typical Walmart thread I hope...

My wife is a Walmart Associate and the company rules prevent her from having a weapon on company property on or off the clock..If she does and they find out she loses her job..

The other day there was an incident where an associates husband came in the store drunk and caused a scene...(no weapons involved). But they fired the associate, stating that company policy being on property intoxicated applied to her family as well...

If that is so does that apply to me and make Walmart a no carry zone..How would I find out???

thoughts

Dan
    don't let them find out - my wife works for Cox and they have the same kind of stupidity - of course they also don't want to let me smoke in my truck in the parking lot either - not that their security is willing to tell me to stop lol

Quote Originally Posted by arffdog875 View Post
    Yea, AZ Husker hit it on the nose!!! I don't think "little" applies anymore I think N. Tijuana fits ! On Sundays 95% of customers speak spanish!
    you think its bad in AZ try el paso or so cal lol

Quote Originally Posted by speak2u View Post
    Is this even legal? If so how far down into the family tree can they go?
    2nd cousin twice removed; or within the sixth degree; depending on which one has the highest blood alcohol content.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm not sure if it is legal, but it is becoming more pervasive. Companies are now implementing policies regarding employees representations and posts on social media networks...even when they are not saying anything about the company or holding themselves out as an employee of the company...on the employees own time and computer. You can be fired for something you post on facebook or twitter, on your own PC, on your own time, that has nothing to do with work.

Big Brother is watching.
    First off, how do they know it's you that posted it. Secondly seems like the ACLU is going to love this lawsuit the first time someone gets fired for posting something on their own computer, at home, while not on work time, that isn't liable or slander to the company. The person fired is going to own the company, and not just in the gamers "owned" meaning.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links