California members have CCW questions

This is a discussion on California members have CCW questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Phantoms I'm curious with all the info on California and different counties having different issue attitudes, can you move to a county ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California members have CCW questions

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    I'm curious with all the info on California and different counties having different issue attitudes, can you move to a county that usually won't issue from a county that issued you a permit and it will still be valid? The permit is a state permit, isn't it?
    If you leave the county, you must reapply in the new county.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

2. Remove Ads

You heard correctly. San Bernardino is CCW friendly but you need to be a resident for 1 year before they will issue. As far as your record you will be asked to give traffic violations for the last 5 years and any contact with law enforcement even as a juvenile. They ask if you have ever been detained for questioning or arrested. That isn't to say if you had you would be denied especially if it was a long time ago but they will find all that info in the background check and if you are honest up front that is mostly what they are looking for. If you miss something and find it your done. It wasn't fun doing all the paperwork or the waiting but if you are clean it's not a problem. If you are moving into the state you should pick a friendly county. Please move here we need all the tax payers we can get!!LOL Bring the check book.
    BTW CalCCW.com is a great site. I don't know why you are having issues but keep trying. I got lots of help over there and they have a FAQ section about each county so you can see what the process is in each.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    If you leave the county, you must reapply in the new county.
    It's a county permit or a state permit? You actually have to reapply or just update your address info? I'm not talking about when it's renewal time, but within the time span of your current permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    It's a county permit or a state permit? You actually have to reapply or just update your address info? I'm not talking about when it's renewal time, but within the time span of your current permit.
    The permit is issued by the county of your residence typically. (There are some exceptions, business and travel-related.) If you change your residence but stay within the county, you simply advise the county of your address change. If you move outside of the county, your new county of residence would need to issue as your permit is invalidated by the old county. A permit issued by any of CA's 58 counties is valid statewide, even in SF and LA although those cities won't typically welcome you, being a gun-crazed maniac and all.

Remember, depending upon the MacDonald SCOTUS ruling, things could change in CA very quickly. The CCW lawsuit was already in progress and put on hold pending that upcoming ruling. Same with other gun-related lawsuits plus more waiting to be filed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    You obviously haven't been to San Diego from April through September. That would make you the exception as half of AZ's residents seem to flock to San Diego then. I guess snowbirds can only handle so much heat until they flock to a more tolerable climate.

Honestly, if the weather wasn't so great, it would be easy to leave CA. I've just never found any place that matches the climate.
    Are you kidding, that's the best time of year here
    Adam

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan - The Demon-Haunted World

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links