California members have CCW questions

This is a discussion on California members have CCW questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering a move there as well as other options at this point. If (and its a big if) I do decide to relocate it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California members have CCW questions

I'm considering a move there as well as other options at this point. If (and its a big if) I do decide to relocate it would be to a gun friendly county as I know California is a may issue state. I've read that San Bernadino is a good county for carry permits is this the case?

Also as a lot of you here are aware I've some recent legal issues,but those are behind me now thank god and I'm going to having my arrest record expunged. will having an expunged record hurt me when applying for a license to carry in California?

Does the application for a California concealed carry permit ask if you've ever been arrested for a crime or just if you have ever been convicted of a felony? Can I bring my taurus 85UL to CA. Legally? Or does it need to be approved by the CA DOJ to be sold there to be owned there?

Last thing is do I have to be a resident for a set amount of time before I can apply for a license to carry there? I tried registering on the Calccw forums but for some reason its not letting me,thanks for any help guys.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I would suggest you do two things:

1. Call California DOJ and ask them some of those questions.

2. Find a good attorney in California that works in this area. I have someone if you are interested.

I live in Napa County (north bay area) and it is a very carry friendly county, but you are still required to show need. If gun rights and political common sense is high on your list, I would strongly reconsider a move to California.

Good luck.

Move to AZ not CA. CA is the devil :)

If you google California CCW application you will get a ton of hits for sites to go to. At many of those sites, the Official California CCW application is available for PDF download. Read through it and a lot of your questions will be answered. Be aware that that some sites are politically/money motivated and slant their sites to that effect. The information will be correct but will be presented in a way which benefits the site and promotes the site's political agendas. Grain of salt warning.

As to your past arrest record, be aware that an expungement doesn't mean that LEO will not know. The record will still exist and will still come up during your background check. So will the expungement. Taken together that should mean that the Sheriff wouldn't use that as a reason for a denial. BUT, getting a CCW here has political ramifications and if the Sheriff isn't that lenient you may wind up with a denial for another reason on the face of the denial letter when it is really your past arrest record which tipped the scales against you. You takes your chances here.

San Bernardino County is fairly OK with issuing permits. Kern County, Fresno County and other inland/more rural counties are more open. Ventura County issues permits for good cause but it's very difficult to get one here without [u]very[/i] good cause and good moral character. [u]ANY[/i] issues with your background will get you denied.

Lastly, I will state my standard remarks about moving here...

Southern California is NOT like the state you're coming from. The deserts here are HOT! and the heat lasts overnight. It's HOT here for over half the year and there is very little you can do outdoors when it's 120 degrees at noon and 98 degrees at midnight.

There is very little water. It doesn't rain much and there are few trees and grass and/or streams here. Lots of sand, rocks, brush and cactus. OTOH, there are lots of places to get away to on the weekends (or live).

There are more moderate climates along the coast but those counties are hard on firearms ownership and it's mostly impossible to get a CCW permit there. Jobs availability here is not that good right now. Current unemployment is around 12% state wide and some areas are experiencing 20-25% unemployment. Those high unemployment areas include San Bernardino, Riverside and Los Angeles Counties.

It costs MONEY to live here. Yes, the pay seems nice compared to what you're earning now, but the cost of living is at least twice as high here as where you are. $40K /yr here could be worth less than $15K where you are. Rental housing starts at $1200/mo and goes WAY UP from there. A decent 2 brdrm apt/condo in a fairly nice/safe area can cost you $1400/mo or more to rent. Buying a decent area house starts at $100K for inland cities (like Bakersfield) and goes up very very very fast. A house in a coastal city can cost $300K in a POOR area.

The State is basically bankrupt and is going to have to lay off government workers by the thousands this summer. That will swell unemployment ranks and will reduce the number of available jobs as government workers snap them up. It is not going to be a pleasant year.

I know all that sounds awful, but it's the reality of living here. Some people can adapt but most don't and move away again within the first year. You will have to decide if the risk is for you.

I moved from CA to NC in 2005 and I have never looked back

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I'm considering a move there as well as other options at this point. If (and its a big if) I do decide to relocate it would be to a gun friendly county as I know California is a may issue state. I've read that San Bernadino is a good county for carry permits is this the case?

Also as a lot of you here are aware I've some recent legal issues,but those are behind me now thank god and I'm going to having my arrest record expunged. will having an expunged record hurt me when applying for a license to carry in California?

Does the application for a California concealed carry permit ask if you've ever been arrested for a crime or just if you have ever been convicted of a felony? Can I bring my taurus 85UL to CA. Legally? Or does it need to be approved by the CA DOJ to be sold there to be owned there?

Last thing is do I have to be a resident for a set amount of time before I can apply for a license to carry there? I tried registering on the Calccw forums but for some reason its not letting me,thanks for any help guys.
    The CA CCW application asks for a listing of all traffic violations in the lasgt five years and then asks, "Have you ever been CONVICTED of a criminal offense in the U.S. or any other country?"

However under the interview portion of the application the following questions are asked (some counties actually conduct a face-to-face interview, others will just have you write your own answers):

2. Have you ever been in a mental institution, treated for mental illness, or been found guilty by reason of insanity?

3. Are you now or have you ever been addicted to a controlled substance or alcohol...

4. Have you ever been involved in an incident involving firearms?

5. Have you been involved in a domestic violence incident?

6. List any arrests or formal charges, with or without disposition, for any criminal offenses in the U.S., or any other country.
    Here is a link to the standard application for CCW.

Reagarding bringing your Taurus 85UL to CA. From the Attorney General's Firearm FAQ's page:
    Question: "I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?"

Answer: You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

San Bernadino (or San Berdu to locals) is a pretty gun friendly county. Here is the list of top counties that issue CCW, based on 2006 permit numbers. (please note that the order on this list will change when compare actual conty population).

1) Kern County 4006
    2) Orange County 2890*
    3) Fresno County 2720
    4) Tulare County 2501
    5) San Bernardino County 2472
    6) Shasta County 2316
    7) Butte County 1766
    8) San Diego County 1540
    9) Mendocino County 1378
    10) Los Angeles County 1289
    11) El Dorado County 1225

I hope all this helps!

Oh, and RobP gave you some great advice in his post.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Rob P. knows what he's talking about.

7 1/2 yrs ago, hubby & I moved from CA to AZ. At that time, you could earn up to $125,000/year and still qualify for special "low income 1st time homebuyer" programs. No joke.

If you do move to CA, plan on at least 10% of your gross income going to state income taxes. When we left, it was ~10% state income tax rate. Other states are much less.

1 reason why CA is bankrupt is because of 20+ years of voters approving bond measures. Every time a spending measure was up for a vote, it was a bond measure (translation: borrow money). Now those bonds are junk bond status (translation: practically worthless).

CA is VERY liberal politically. San Francisco gun laws are almost like Chicago's. Sure, you can own a gun if you live in San Francisco, but it must be locked with a cable lock or stored in a safe at all times. And you cannot fire a gun in the city of San Francisco anywhere for any reason (my sister lives there & did some research).

Not every city is like SF, of course.

We're just giving you some "buyer beware" notices before you actually decide to move there.

Also, there's a reason why people are leaving CA in droves. It's because of the economy. People of retirement age are leaving CA because they can't afford to retire there (too expensive).

On the other hand, go to certain parts of Arizona and you'll see just as many plastic surgery junkies as in Beverly Hills! ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post

CA is CURRENTYLY a "may issue" state. Lawsuits challenging the constitutionality of may issue have already been put on hold pending the outcome of the MacDonald SCOTUS case. As CA doesn't have RKBA in its state constitution (didn't want to give the Mexicans in 1850 that right), the current SCOTUS case will have a far bigger impact here than in our neighboring states.

Here's a map that generally grades the ease of CCW issuance in CA:
    County Map for California CCW Issuance - CalCCW

Here is the link for the application for a CCW in San Diego (consistent with statewide questionnaire):
    http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw_app.pdf

As for your Taurus, as long as the magazines do not hold over 10 rounds (for 10 plus 1), you should be fine to move to CA with it. Any mags over 10 capacity must be disassembled. You can put them back together when leaving CA but not while in-state. This restriction is also getting a court challenge very soon, post-MacDonald. Just buy some 10-round mags for your Taurus for now if yours don't comply.

Best reference for CA gun laws is Calguns.net with a VERY active and activist focus. Complete with the Calguns Foundation for fighting gun rights infringement. Ask specific questions there and you'd get good answers.

As for living in CA, I was born here and lived here all my life. I've seen it go from Reagan as Gov. to Pelosi, Feinstein and Boxer. FWIW, Boxer is lower in the polls than her Republican challengers this week. It's possible that the pendulum is beginning to swing back to the right a bit, especially since the economy is providing a huge wakeup call to the voters. The lesson that one can't still write checks because their are checks in the checkbook vs. money in the bank... The gun situation is very likely to improve in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    I moved from CA to NC in 2005 and I have never looked back
    I moved from CA to AR in 2005 and I have never looked back...

don't do it unless you have to. there's no work. gun laws suck and will get worse. crime is getting worse by the minute. not that it wasn't already bad. id reconsider Berdu also. that place is a mess...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post

I live in Napa County (north bay area) and it is a very carry friendly county, but you are still required to show need.

Good luck.
    That certainly says something about the definition of "very carry friendly" in CA, if in the same sentence you say "required to show need".

I wish we'd turn of the water to that state and let it go.

And all of the above is why Arizona is overrun with people from CA..
    Adam

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan - The Demon-Haunted World

I live in Humboldt, a gun friendly county almost bordering Oregon. If you have a clean record, have completed the necessary training, and aren't a nut job, they will issue you a CCW. Still, the economy here is terrible and the cost of living is sky high like the rest of Ca. This state is f***ed in a big way. I wish we could turn off the water to Southern California (or at least charge them for it) but unfortunately they have all the votes down there. I hate it when people refer to the San Francisco as northern ca, IMO everything south of Mendocino county should be considered southern ca. There was a movement to form a new state in northern Ca and southern Oregon in the 40's. Check out this link to learn more about the State of Jefferson.
    StateofJefferson

Madera County is more CCW friendly than the map shows. It states will issue with cause. You have to fill out the form but cause can be feel threatened when driving in rural areas. Madera county is mostly rural but Fresno has spilled over into Madera county along Hwy 41.

The rest is true about unemployment, cost of living and water. PG&E is another costly item given the heat and need for a/c. My neighbors are moving to Washington State. Hey, if you get here fast their house is for sale and it's a very nice property.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion46 View Post
    And all of the above is why Arizona is overrun with people from CA..
    You obviously haven't been to San Diego from April through September. That would make you the exception as half of AZ's residents seem to flock to San Diego then. I guess snowbirds can only handle so much heat until they flock to a more tolerable climate.

Honestly, if the weather wasn't so great, it would be easy to leave CA. I've just never found any place that matches the climate.

I'm curious with all the info on California and different counties having different issue attitudes, can you move to a county that usually won't issue from a county that issued you a permit and it will still be valid? The permit is a state permit, isn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links