Flying with Firearm - bag opened and ammo missing!

This is a discussion on Flying with Firearm - bag opened and ammo missing! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Phantoms I would have told him he better call a supervisor because otherwise he was going to have to confiscate them and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flying with Firearm - bag opened and ammo missing!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    I would have told him he better call a supervisor because otherwise he was going to have to confiscate them and then face legal action against himself and the TSA.
    I'm with you! I had a problem with a TSA agent a couple of years ago (not firearms related). It was amazing how fast the problem went away when I asked to see the supervisor.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

TSA or the Bagage carriers from what ive heard are some of the crooks taking anything of value, Ie handguns..the one store i heard was bagage guy and break in bags with the TSA tags the would have guns in them take them and slip them over the fence, later to pick them up and sell them on the street..

Now If i fly i'll use a ammo box from the supplus store has..or something that cant be cut with bolt cutters,and that has to have the Key to open it.

Dont want any of my guns on the street....
    XDM 40cal bitoneXD40SC BitoneBersa 380.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member
    "I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
    I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    When you fly with a firearm, you are required to lock the bag. And the whole point of the prescreening and extra checks is so that no unauthorized person will have access to the firearm once it is through security. They are not allowed to unlock the bags, and I believe breaking the locks of is some sort of violation. Bags with broken locks are not allow to fly. Definitly file a report with the authorities.
    Just for clarification here.... the case that the firearm is in has to be locked in such a way that only you can open it.

Now, if you put that locked firearms case in a typical piece of luggage there's nothing I've seen stating that the luggage itself has to be locked. Is that what you were saying?

On my last few trips (out of Tampa coincidentally), I haven't had any problems. Handgun goes in a hard plastic case with a decent combo lock, I think use a cable lock to attach the case to the inside of my regular luggage. On the luggage I usually use one of those small TSA approved locks.

locking guncase

to all:

WARNING! - if you fly out of ANY of the WASHINGTON DC Metro airports, to include BWI, you MUST use locks that TSA can open.
    (i don't fly out of Richmond, but i'm told that the same "local policy" is in effect there, too.)

trust me, i fly into & out of Dulles, Ronald Reagan & BWI frequently & i had to go buy "TSA-approved locks" for my pistol case that goes INSIDE my "hardsided" luggage. - this means that TSA employees can OPEN your stuff & "help themselves to" whatever they want.
    (at least at BWI, if you don't have "TSA approved" locks on your guncase, they won't let you check it in.)

fwiw, you will have NO LUCK getting money for "pilfered goods", as ALL claims are routinely denied here. = that's why i have INSURANCE, called an "inland marine policy" on my guns/ammo/camera/etc.

further, for your insurance company, have a list of weapons/ammo on your person (NOT in your luggage), with serial numbers each time you fly.

note: i also take pictures of each weapon!

yours, TN46

They're dead wrong. From TSA's website:
    The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you.

One other point of info to consider-

If your plane is re-routed or makes an unscheduled stop in a state where you are not legal to CCW, do not pick up your luggage. You can be arrested on the spot for felony possession!

If you want to read one woman's horror story about being arrested in such a situation:

NY Gun Laws at their best.. [Archive] - StopGunControl
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    to all:

WARNING! - if you fly out of ANY of the WASHINGTON DC Metro airports, to include BWI, you MUST use locks that TSA can open.
    (i don't fly out of Richmond, but i'm told that the same "local policy" is in effect there, too.)

trust me, i fly into & out of Dulles, Ronald Reagan & BWI frequently & i had to go buy "TSA-approved locks" for my pistol case that goes INSIDE my "hardsided" luggage. - this means that TSA employees can OPEN your stuff & "help themselves to" whatever they want.
    (at least at BWI, if you don't have "TSA approved" locks on your guncase, they won't let you check it in.)

fwiw, you will have NO LUCK getting money for "pilfered goods", as ALL claims are routinely denied here. = that's why i have INSURANCE, called an "inland marine policy" on my guns/ammo/camera/etc.

further, for your insurance company, have a list of weapons/ammo on your person (NOT in your luggage), with serial numbers each time you fly.

note: i also take pictures of each weapon!

yours, TN46
    I also fly out of BWI and they are real pains. I have had my TSA approved lock cut EVERY TIME I fly from there. I usually fly to MN and nothing happens on that side. I think it is just pains (as stated) in Baltimore. I detest that airport and have decided when I go to MN I am going to drive even though it takes me two days.
    Last edited by Scott; March 28th, 2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: profanity work arounds removed
    Take care,
    VTXDM40...........Molon Labe

That nuts about that lady under arest for having a gun in a Air line approved box...
    for a plane trip home and having the proper CCW for her state...

I know one thing, wont be going to NY anytime till they change the law's for CCW holders...
    Last edited by XDM40cal; March 28th, 2010 at 09:12 AM.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member

nedrgr21,

and you are surprised that TSA cannot get its act together? - it IS the !@#$%! federal government, after all.

but as i said, travel out of any of the three airports W/O a "TSA approved lock" & they WILL destroy your gun-box ON PURPOSE and you will NOT get a DIME of your money from the government and/or your goods back!
    (numerous people have tried filing a claim against and/or to sue TSA, over such "local"/non-conforming policies- EVERY single one has been tried in the DC courts & the TSA/government always "prevails", as the case is "dismissed with prejudice".)

another thing: come to DC & try to do perfectly LAWFUL things that you "take for granted" at "home". = for example, during the 2009 Inauguration of BHO, a group of BOY SCOUTS were detained by the US Secret Service Uniformed Division for having "potentially hazardous substances in their possession". the "substances" was paper cups of HOT CHOCOLATE, that the boys were actually drinking!
    furthermore, when the Boy Scout leader complained about the USSS requiring the children to POUR OUT their hot chocolate "OR ELSE", the leader was told that he would be ARRESTED & jailed overnight for "talking back to" a Secret Service officer.
    (and you wonder WHY i LOVE this country but FEAR its government?)

yours, TN46
    Last edited by texasnative46; March 28th, 2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: grammar error

Boys detain for having hot chocolate??OMG what has 9/11 done to America...

Toss in jail for talking back to a SS...kinda don't want to do that , there are Leo's For the Pres. If you like your freedom.
    This what the Patriot act has done to American travel, and rights under the 2ND amendment...
    Now if you want to travel with your sidearm you have to think twice beacuse of TSA taking your property and there no way to get it back... good luck on sueing the TSA for Whats missing...
    I'm think of just taking a train if i need to go anywhere in the US.
    NRA RSO
    NRA EPL Member

What I don't understand is why TSA didn't get a hold of you....you have your name on your bag, your bag is tagged by the airline, you sign a firearm declaration when you check your bag, they know what flight/gate you're at....heaven forbid they do due diligence and contact you to open your bag if there is a problem.

I'd be screaming holy hell if I found my lock cut and ammo missing....to the point of calling the ATF from the airport and reporting ammo missing in a secure area of an airport....

Personally, I've never had a problem flying with guns and ammo....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I'd be screaming holy hell if I found my lock cut and ammo missing....to the point of calling the ATF from the airport and reporting ammo missing in a secure area of an airport....

+1

If they can steal ammo in the sterile area, they can steal guns too. I'm suprised more of this dosnt make it to the media.

Guns go missing from TIA luggage
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

I would make a report to the following:

* Airline - talk to a manager, perferably the person in charge of the airline at that airport.
    * FAA - call them, and report what happened on what flight from where to where. They are very interested in security breaches inside the "sterile" area that the TSA creates. The TSA is NOT responsible beyond checking the people and baggage as it enters this area.
    * ATF - Firearms and explosives are their thing.

The local police at the arrival airport would not be interested, and at the departure airport (and any stops between the departure and arrival airport) would not be interested either.

This is the Fed's problem...
    I say all of the above; you don't know who stole your ammo, and chances are if you handled it prior to storage, now there is a bunch of your ammo floating around out there with YOUR fingerprints all over it. Now, somebody can commit a crime that you could be blamed for. I would report this to everybody within earshot, and notify the Airline in question that you intend reporting this to everyone on your gun board so they will select a more secure Airline to fly on....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I knew there was a reason I no longer utilize airplanes as a mode of transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    Just for clarification here.... the case that the firearm is in has to be locked in such a way that only you can open it.

Now, if you put that locked firearms case in a typical piece of luggage there's nothing I've seen stating that the luggage itself has to be locked. Is that what you were saying?

On my last few trips (out of Tampa coincidentally), I haven't had any problems. Handgun goes in a hard plastic case with a decent combo lock, I think use a cable lock to attach the case to the inside of my regular luggage. On the luggage I usually use one of those small TSA approved locks.
    Bingo. That's how I do it. No problems, yet. Always be calm and professional. Ask for a TSA supervisor if you're ever jacked up, or some junior-level TSA goober wants to man-handle your piece. That has always solved my minor problems.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links