Defensive Carry banner

Thank You, Pennsylvania!

3K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  tkruf 
#1 ·
Mailed off my non-resident application on the 7th, it was issued on the 12th and returned to me by the 15th! Faster than I would have believed possible, and now I can carry pretty much anywhere I travel/visit without worrying about which side of a state line I'm on. Even my non-carrying .5 is pleased to know her fella can carry without worry now. :smile:

#9 ·
You do realize that is the last one you'll get? They are changing the law and it will go in effect real soon. Unless of course you want to GO THERE to get it.

#12 ·
I can provide info that shows that PA law does not require non-res applicants to apply in person. There really isn't a new law. It was passed in 2005. It must be implemented by the end of March 2011, so there should be no problems for anyone until next year.

HOUSE BILL 1717 P.N. 2918

There really shouldn't be any problems after March of next year either.

The relevant change:
21 (4) The sheriff [may also] shall require a photograph of
22 the licensee on the license. The photograph shall be in a
23 form compatible with the Commonwealth Photo Imaging Network.
The language of the statute was changed from "may also", to "shall" "require a photograph."
It simply requires that a photo of the licensee be on all LTCFs. A digital photo, sent online by out of state applicants, would be "in a
form compatible with the Commonwealth Photo Imaging Network."
There's nothing that will prevent Sheriffs from issuing non-res LTCFs basically the same way they have been. Unfortunately, some of them don't seem to understand.

#14 ·
I hadthe same experience. Sent and returned within 1 1/2 weeks. Sent my application to Centre County. Was able to add 4 states to my CC list.

MT

#16 ·
Centre County is wonderful to work with! I moved and sent in my new address. Well, a couple of days later I got my permit with the new address and a yellow sticky note telling me that I had to submit $5 for the address change! It is wonderful that they kept it simple and sent the permit without having to send a letter, have me submit the $5, send the permit and submit the signature portion. Wonderful bunch to work with!! I wish all were as good/easy to work with.

#18 ·
not all county sheriffs approve out of state residents LTCF, very few counties do that and soon there will be no counties that will unless you come in person. That helps fear of a mistaken identity.

#19 ·
not all county sheriffs approve out of state residents LTCF, very few counties do that...
Not true. Most Sheriffs will issue non-res LTCFs, as they are required by law to do. The few that refuse to issue non-res LTCFs are in violation of Commonwealth law.

and soon there will be no counties that will unless you come in person. That helps fear of a mistaken identity.
As I pointed out earlier in this thread, any Sheriff who believes that they may only issue to applicants who apply in person is mistaken.
Fear of mistaken identity? Huh?:confused:

#20 ·
All right, I've been wondering about this for a while; are non-resident permits for people who live in a state without reciprocity? For instance, I live in WV. As we have reciprocity with PA is there any reason at all I would need a non-resident permit for PA? I'm only twenty minutes south, and drive through PA every time I want to go to the nearest Cabelas.

#22 ·
Since PA has reciprocity with WV, you do not need to get a non-resident PA permit. My situation is like yours, but reversed. I live in PA, but work in WV, KY and VA. Since all three have reciprocity with PA, I'm good to go.

However, I do sometimes travel through OH, so I'm in need of a non-resident permit there..

#24 ·
Just got my PA non-res too, mailed the app on Monday and got the permit in the mail on Saturday. God bless em, I'm thinking of moving there.....

The only other 2 non-res permits I'm chasing now are Connecticut (because I work there) and Florida, cause it really covers a lot of the country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.